What's new

Razor blade challenge

Alright, we have nine participants. Looking for eleven more who dare to look irritation in the face and say: I can beat you!

Mine came in the mail today and I will try them tomorrow morning. Unless they are exceptionally good or bad I will try to get three shaves out of the first one before I post a review.

I got them today.! Review going up tomorrow.!!! I had already shaved when they arrived.
I received my blades this afternoon. Thanks, Nate. I will shave with one in the morning and log my report here.
Mine came in the mail today and I will try them tomorrow morning. Unless they are exceptionally good or bad I will try to get three shaves out of the first one before I post a review.
It must be cosmic providence...I got my blades today, too! Sounds like we'll all be trying them together...tomorrow...at separate sinks...

First Shave

Corked the Super Homex Super Stainless and loaded it into a Schick Krona, a mild but efficient razor. Normal prep. Showered then face lathered with a Dove for Men cream/Van Der Hagen glycerin soap super lather.

Blade was tugging through the first pass, especially on the upper and lower lip. Second pass was better, but leaving a fair amount of stubble for touch up. And even after the touch up, there was stubble in the few stubborn places on my face.

After the shave, very little alum sting, just a patch on my neck where I was touching up with insufficient lather on my face. Finished off with a splash of Masters Jade and a dab of Mennen Afta on the spot of razor burn on my neck.

Overall, a fair shave. The Homex is a weak cutting blade. But irritation wasn’t as bad as I feared. Perhaps the corking helped.

What the hell, I'll give them a shot if you're still looking for willing participants. I'll PM you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I showered & used my Tech razor along with Captains Choice Lime soap. After whipping up a great lather, I wet my face again & soaped up. The first pass was real tuggy & the blade was not very sharp at all. I had to stop before I even got a full pass in. The Homex made the Derby blade seem like a GSB blade. It might be good for people with light beards. My beard is medium. I will throw the Homex in my Schone razor in a day or two & see how it does.

If I can shave with a Derby, I can shave with anything.!
I think you will struggle with the Vidyut Super-Max Stainless; they are worse than a Derby. I have taken a Derby to 15 shaves so they may not start of very sharp but have reasonable longevity. I would happy to get 7 days out of each Derby blade.
I am tempted by these Super Homex but will wait for the reviews I think. Sounds like they may be similar to the Vidyut Super-Max blades.

I think you will struggle with the Vidyut Super-Max Stainless; they are worse than a Derby. I have taken a Derby to 15 shaves so they may not start of very sharp but have reasonable longevity. I would happy to get 7 days out of each Derby blade.
I am tempted by these Super Homex but will wait for the reviews I think. Sounds like they may be similar to the Vidyut Super-Max blades.
I have never tried the Supermax Stainless but with a Supermax Platinum blade I get 10-12 nice shaves. I will try the Homex blade in my Schone & see how it does in a day or two.

I said that I would post after my third shave unless it was exceptionally good or bad. Well here I am posting. This is the worst blade in my collection.

It is nicely packaged, wrapped twice, in wax paper with no glue or wax spots and then in a paper wrapping with the Homex graphics.

It was 24 hours since my last shave, I did my usual prep, face washing in a hot shower. I used my most familiar equipment a Parker 99R razor (TTO mild to moderately aggressive ), Mitchell's Wool Fat soap face lathered with an Omega 49 Boar brush. My beard is dense, fast growing and fairly coarse.

First pass (WTG) was rough. The blade pulled and tugged even in my easy to shave areas, it was very uncomfortable and I considered stopping after the first pass but I made the commitment so I continued on.
The second pass (XTG) was worse. Even more uncomfortable, every stroke it just pulled and tugged at my beard. After I rinsed I could still feel and see stubble so it was going to be a three pass day. I have to admit that I had a fair amount of trepidation about a third pass and considered using an Astra SP to finish the job. But I persisted.

Third pass (ATG) was actually the most comfortable, but that's not saying much. It really had a tough time in my problem spots on the right side of my neck and my chin. It never really felt like it was cutting, just scraping, but eventually it got through.

Today I really needed the cold water rinse my face felt really irritated. I was able to achieve a BBS shave in my easy areas and surprisingly WTG and ATG in my tough spots. XTG was no good, very stubbly, it was so uncomfortable shaving that I couldn't keep going over those areas.

That being said there was no redness and no weepers. I used Pinaud Clubman as an aftershave and there was a lot of sting. My face really felt irritated so I wound up using some raw shea butter as a post shave balm to soothe it.

Believe it or not I am going to have another try tomorrow. I will use my Parker Variant used at 5+ to see whether or not a more aggressive razor makes a difference.

I am really amazed that so many people are having issues with the blade. Dont get me wrong, they are far from good (the worse blade I have ever used) but I can get three shaves from each one.
I recieved some Graham Field blades the other day (thank you for them) and am going to do a comparison test against the Homex. I will be shaving three days growth using a Weber polished stainless, Cella, a synthetic brush and Pinaud Clubman to finish it off.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Top Bottom