What's new

Razor and Knife Sharpening Stones Combination

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hi All,

I'm looking for a sharpening stone setup for maintaining my straight razor and German kitchen knives. I'm looking at the following setup:

1. Naniwa Pro 1k
2. Norton 4k/8k combo
3. Naniwa Super Stone 12k

Pretty much set on numbers 1 & 3.

Looking for suggestions for number 2, and thoughts on the full setup.

Thanks
Chosera 3k, SuperStone 8k for your intermediate stones. And for knives especially, you need some coarser stones to do the heavy work. A 320 grit Kuromaku and a 600 Chosera will work great. I never go finer than 1k on knives. It won't hurt anything but it is usually wasted effort except maybe one finer stage for a micro bevel if you are into that. Then 3 or 4 laps on a butcher steel or a long slice through a cork to deburr and you got an edge that is perfect for most kitchen use. If you are into sushi and cutting tomatoes that you can read a newspaper through, then of course you want a more refined edge. I fit a tiny bit of toothiness hurts nothing at all. TBH I have even used the Harbor Freight diamond plates followed by a 1k Chosera and found the edges to be quite good for my purposes.

Norton made pretty good stones when I was a kid. Then they moved production to Mexico I believe, and quality took a nose dive. Recently they seem to be improving. I recently tried, and then bought, a 1k Norton and it was very consistent, no voids, a solid performer. I can't guarantee that the 4k and 8k are any good but as a rule I do not like combo stones.

Chosera 3k, SuperStone 8k for your intermediate stones. And for knives especially, you need some coarser stones to do the heavy work. A 320 grit Kuromaku and a 600 Chosera will work great. I never go finer than 1k on knives. It won't hurt anything but it is usually wasted effort except maybe one finer stage for a micro bevel if you are into that. Then 3 or 4 laps on a butcher steel or a long slice through a cork to deburr and you got an edge that is perfect for most kitchen use. If you are into sushi and cutting tomatoes that you can read a newspaper through, then of course you want a more refined edge. I fit a tiny bit of toothiness hurts nothing at all. TBH I have even used the Harbor Freight diamond plates followed by a 1k Chosera and found the edges to be quite good for my purposes.

Norton made pretty good stones when I was a kid. Then they moved production to Mexico I believe, and quality took a nose dive. Recently they seem to be improving. I recently tried, and then bought, a 1k Norton and it was very consistent, no voids, a solid performer. I can't guarantee that the 4k and 8k are any good but as a rule I do not like combo stones.
I ended up purchasing the Naniwa Pro 800 for my knives and Naniwa SS 12k for the razor for now. I'll see how I go and if I need the intermediate grit stones

Top Bottom