What's new

Razor advice

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
how do i do "the method" honing i cant find a video of it
It consists of three basic part; setting the bevel using the burr method, honing on lapping film and finishing on diamond pasted balsa.

You can find all that you need to know/do here:
It is a long read but worth every minute of your time. The Method develops as you progress through the threads. Take notes as your read - very important. Then read it again. Do not start trying the Method until you have read it all at least twice. Follow the instructions exactly. Do not deviate, omit or modify even the the most obscure minor detail.

Once you have mastered the Method, should only take one or two tries, then and only then should you even think about trying to improve (I doubt that you will) what you are doing.

If you have any questions after reading the threads and taking notes, then ask in the relevant thread.

What you learn from the Method will give you a very good grounding in later developing other methods of honing a SR to shave-ready, if you so wish.

The Method with a capital M, it really retains a strong cult-like following with it's strict rules and acolytes preaching the one true way. Just don't drink the kool aid.

You can skip all that and just go straight to traditional honing methods with stones. Plenty of info out there

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The Method with a capital M, it really retains a strong cult-like following with it's strict rules and acolytes preaching the one true way. Just don't drink the kool aid.

You can skip all that and just go straight to traditional honing methods with stones. Plenty of info out there
Quite true. It just depends on what you are aiming for, the time you have and your budget.

The Method is not for everyone. Some like to spend hundreds of dollars (or more) on stones, months learning how to use them properly and are satisfied with the edges they get. It can be a very satisfying and emotionally rewarding experience. The main thing is to enjoy whatever you choose to do.

Initially I was a pure Method honer. It worked well for me and taught me a lot about the basics of honing. I am a bit of a hybrid now, start on stones and finish on pasted balsa. Works well for me and I enjoy it.

I am sure there are plenty of deviants out there like me who used 8 x 3 inch strops. We just don't talk openly about it :).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am sure there are plenty of deviants out there like me who used 8 x 3 inch strops. We just don't talk openly about it :).
I use one that is smaller. 7" x 2½" but don't tell anyone.
IMG_20211218_184116.jpg

I use one that is smaller. 7" x 2½" but don't tell anyone.
Screenshot taken! :001_tongu Point i'm trying to make is one could just The Method and just work with manufactured stones off-the-shelf, as the guess work is taken out of the equation. That's what I've done and it's been fine so far. It's the DIY vs outsourcing procurement choice.

The merits of the Method are undoubtly there as they are, but the crafting/project element adds complexity.

I've added some 1micron pixie dust to a leather paddle strop, that I dont need to go finer than that or 12k grit stone.

Top Bottom