What's new

Razor Advice/Suggestions for a newbie

The Karve brass with 2 plates would keep you close to your $100 limit. It is the second razor I bought (B & C plates SB). As I have progressed I now only use the "G" SB & "F" OC plates. It is a fine razor that will allow you to progress just about as far as you want to in efficiency.

I'll through out one other idea. You can buy the Muhle R41 cap and plate (no handle) for $25 at Maggard. Some would have you believe this is a meat clever, but it is far from that. I can't think of a razor I have had more fun using. It is very efficient, but also very smooth as well. For a very small investment it will help you gauge your technique as you continue to progress. The head is made of zamak but the cap post is brass on the newer models. Most failures with zamak razors happen to the cap posts.

Thank you again for all the suggestions. This is a great community.
Indeed B&B is fantastic community! 😊

Not sure if anyone mentioned earlier, but if you'd like to venture to SE razors, then RazoRock Hawk V3 will be well within your stated budget (it's about $70 USD).

The SE blades offer smooth shave w/o any blade chatter or blade skipping, due to their thickness and rigidity (unlike DE blades).

One additional benefit is that you can tweak any SE razor by using different SE blade, as those vary greatly in width and thickness, thus offering a greater variety than a non-adjustable DE razor.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
If you have not pulled the trigger yet, the Merkur 34C is the best choice, IMO because it has a grippier handle than most and a new shaver will be less likely to have it slip in soapy hands.

Frankly, as has been said, learning technique is paramount for you, the razor practically does not matter. Get a Merkur 34C, use it for a year (well at least 6 months) then start fiddling with other razors.

Thank you. Im not married to any particular style of razor. Right now, I just want performance. Also being able to get the point where I can shave relatively quickly in rush if I need to.

Switching from carts has changed my perspective in shaving - from an chore to an enjoyable experience. However, It is taking me so long to shave. Im sure im just being an impatient newbie, but it's something I think about when Im running late or something

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Either the Edwin Jagger DE89 or the Merkur 34C fit that bill, Ezra. Neither is aggressive, nor too mild, they are kind of "Goldilocks" razors, and many shave with them for years. I started with a DE89, then went on a crazy razor collection binge, then settled on a Merkur 34C about 5 years ago and it has been my daily driver. The DE89's are gorgeous, but a bit slippery, IMO.

You could shave with a ton of different razors, there is no doubt about that. However I can practically guarantee you'll find the Merkur 34C comfortable, forgiving, close enough shaver, and grippy enough to get you started on the right foot. There is a reason those two suggestions are the most common for new shavers. Either work very well, but the 34C is grippier.

Good luck.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wow! $25 is a steal! That Kent "Beard Brush" is also an amazing value. It's not just a beard brush, they call it that because it is a shaving site, but it's a hair brush which used to be called a "military brush". I have one and it's outstanding.

Wow! $25 is a steal! That Kent "Beard Brush" is also an amazing value. It's not just a beard brush, they call it that because it is a shaving site, but it's a hair brush which used to be called a "military brush". I have one and it's outstanding.
Pulled the trigger on that. For 25 bucks, why not??? Thank you!

Reactions: ewk
It was my first razor. I'll mention my second one, as you posted about head shaving. The Henson aluminum is my go-to for head shaving (I prefer the mild for the face, medium for the dome; they are both relatively mild but very efficient). It was the first to get the back fringe BBS smooth. Not even cartridges could do that.

If you decide to go with the Merkur 34C or Progress, you may want to check out the "secret" link to TAOS sale items at Welcome to our Secret Sale of Barber Essentials - theartofshaving.com - https://theartofshaving.com/products/secretsale

The "Chrome Heavyweight Safety Razor" is the Merkur 34C at a ridiculously low $25 price. The long handle Progress is also listed at a very low price on that page. (I have and prefer the short handle Progress, but that is not part of this offer).

This is awesome, thank you very much for the link!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro

Now, take a tip from an old shaving head, who did it wrong. Don't buy another razor for at least 3 months. I wasted so much money on stupid stuff wonderful collectibles, millions of blades. a straight, strop, had old razors replated, ended up selling it all. You get the idea. It's easy to go nuts in the beginning.

Shave with that Merkur 34C daily for about 3 months. I'd advise sticking with a blade you like and a couple lather products, maybe one soap and one cream for while, too. Dial things in. Get good at making AWESOME lather. When you don't get any burn (or much) with an alcohol splash, then start branching out.

My thinking is this is a pretty straight forward activity, but many new shavers blow their own minds by never standardizing on anything in the beginning and get horribly varying results. Get dialed in, then go nuts.

Now, take a tip from an old shaving head, who did it wrong. Don't buy another razor for at least 3 months. I wasted so much money on stupid stuff wonderful collectibles, millions of blades. a straight, strop, had old razors replated, ended up selling it all. You get the idea. It's easy to go nuts in the beginning.

Shave with that Merkur 34C daily for about 3 months. I'd advise sticking with a blade you like and a couple lather products, maybe one soap and one cream for while, too. Dial things in. Get good at making AWESOME lather. When you don't get any burn (or much) with an alcohol splash, then start branching out.

My thinking is this is a pretty straight forward activity, but many new shavers blow their own minds by never standardizing on anything in the beginning and get horribly varying results. Get dialed in, then go nuts.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this, too. I have a Mamba 70, and though I try, I am not getting good results at all compared to the discounted VDH un-named razor I started with. If I'd seen this deal sooner, I'd have listened to all the posts I've seen recommending a 34C earlier.

This post is my vow to not buy another razor until December 2021.

Top Bottom