What's new

Razobrite Bath Question

I bought a Rozobrite Bath to go with my 1934 Aristocrat, but I plan to use it for all of my razors after I finish shaving. Kind of a 5 or 10 minute soak to keep them clean. My question is what should I fill it with? Rubbing alcohol or Barbicide? Or does it even matter? I just want to take proper care of my razors and want to be sure I'm not doing anything to damage them.

As long as you are only soaking for 10-15 minutes alcohol or barbicide will work just fine. Keep in mind that alcohol will be constantly evaporating and those aren't airtight. But the general design should keep it from disappearing too fast if you use 60-70%. It will also help to clean as well as disinfect your razors as IPA is a strong solvent.

Barbicide could damage your tools if you leave them in too long and is especially hard on razor edges. You also need to clean everything before using Barbicide because it doesn't clean anything, just disinfects.

I have heard of other astringents used in those, wintergreen , witch hazel, bleach (NO! Don't try it!), even dissolved alum.

If you aren't sharing your razors with anyone, there shouldn't be any need to clean a razor beyond soapy water and drying with a soft cloth though really.

Is the Aristocrat gold plated? If so I would avoid the barbicide. Be very careful not to clink the razor on the razobrite (ceramic right?) gold plating is very finicky and once you scratch it, it can start to come off pretty fast.

I use a Razo Brite bath every day. I have used alcohol in it and of late, I have Barbicide in mine. I don't however, own any gold plated razors so, I would use caution with soaking yours in the Barbicide as suggested by Weizemanner.

You could also fill it with Simple Green I suppose too.

Frank

OK, thanks. I don't have any gold-plated razors, so no worry there. But I believe I'll just fill mine with alcohol or witch hazel (which I always have an abundance of). Really my purpose for it is just to soak the soap scum off before I dry my razor.

If you aren't sharing your razors with anyone, there shouldn't be any need to clean a razor beyond soapy water and drying with a soft cloth though really.
Agreed. The occasional use of toothpaste and an old brush will bring it up shining. Lime scale build up needs to be controlled regularly if you reside in a hard water area.

Top Bottom