What's new

Raw Shaving closing its doors?

does anyone know why Raw Shaving is closing? I got a newsletter from bullgoose stating this, and to buy the RS-18 while supplies last before the prices sky rocket on the secondary market.

I got the same email as well.
The price for the razors seem sky high already, so I say let them soar away to space beyond the sky.
To be honest, I hadn't heard of them until the email from BullGoose.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Yes, I know, but I am not comfortable sharing as I do not have permission. Suffice it to say that I am very saddened by this news.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I got the same email as well.
The price for the razors seem sky high already, so I say let them soar away to space beyond the sky.
To be honest, I hadn't heard of them until the email from BullGoose.

I only heard of them within the last three weeks or so and only because of a SOTD photo. It intrigued me I won’t lie but a couple things kept me from going for it (RS-10).

1. I didn’t care for the engraved top cap logo.

2. The razor handle was too “industrial” looking. But then again, I also didn’t like the Blackbird handle at first either. Now I love it.

People that own them are completely satisfied, so in the end that’s what matters. I’m still in no rush to pick one up though.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just had a quick look at their website. As mentioned by @ackvil nothing mentioned of closing down. The razors they have for sale are way out of my price range but they do look good. Hopefully they are not closing down as I do not like to see any shaving related vendor shut up shop.

I thought about picking up an RS-10 for a while but I didn't talk myself into it.

First off the RS-18 was out of the question because of the gel strips that you need to purchase. An gimmicky unnecessary expense and an item that the razor needs to function properly. In my opinion, the Bullgoose email was more of a "please take these off my hands so I don't get stuck with them" thing than a "these are going way up in price" as the email stated. I just don't see that happening with the RS-18.

Then they came out with the RS-10 that was a version without the gel strips. Headed in the right direction.

Things that pushed me away at first were the lack of reviews. The high price that was partially due to the elaborate packaging which I would have skipped in lieu of lowering the price of the razor. I couldn't possibly care any less about the packaging. It just sits in a drawer in case I sell the razor later on. I have a whole bunch of them.

The prices were high for not only the razor but the $340 stand and the $225 leather case. They couldn't have possibly sold many of these. The market was apparently people with more money than they know what to do with.
I've certainly spent that much on a razor, several time in fact, but there were other things that bothered me as well.

I didn't care for the logo on the cap.

All sales were final as there was no return period that some other makers offer.

Lack of reviews from people I know and trust.

They should have probably offered a group buy to get some out there. Anything at all to generate some reviews and get some interest going.

Supposedly the RS-10 is a very good shaver though. I would have liked to try it.

Not sure what the issue was that caused the shutdown but I've heard from many that Avi was apparently a very good guy so I wish him the best.

I like the looks of the Blackbird, so I didn't mind so much that the design of the RS10 was a bit similar,
although Ive read that the shave is very different. Would have been more receptive to trying it if one could buy just the head and not the entire glitzy package.

I thought about picking up an RS-10 for a while but I didn't talk myself into it.

First off the RS-18 was out of the question because of the gel strips that you need to purchase. An gimmicky unnecessary expense and an item that the razor needs to function properly. In my opinion, the Bullgoose email was more of a "please take these off my hands so I don't get stuck with them" thing than a "these are going way up in price" as the email stated. I just don't see that happening with the RS-18.

Then they came out with the RS-10 that was a version without the gel strips. Headed in the right direction.

Things that pushed me away at first were the lack of reviews. The high price that was partially due to the elaborate packaging which I would have skipped in lieu of lowering the price of the razor. I couldn't possibly care any less about the packaging. It just sits in a drawer in case I sell the razor later on. I have a whole bunch of them.

The prices were high for not only the razor but the $340 stand and the $225 leather case. They couldn't have possibly sold many of these. The market was apparently people with more money than they know what to do with.
I've certainly spent that much on a razor, several time in fact, but there were other things that bothered me as well.

I didn't care for the logo on the cap.

All sales were final as there was no return period that some other makers offer.

Lack of reviews from people I know and trust.

They should have probably offered a group buy to get some out there. Anything at all to generate some reviews and get some interest going.

Supposedly the RS-10 is a very good shaver though. I would have liked to try it.

Not sure what the issue was that caused the shutdown but I've heard from many that Avi was apparently a very good guy so I wish him the best.
There is so much in this post that would echo my same sentiments... When I first saw the RS-10 I immediately thought 3 things...

1. Why would anyone make such a blatant rip off of a Blackland Blackbird?
2. Why is this guys "1st razor" on the market being priced higher than a few premium artisans, Timeless, Charcoal Goods, Blackland, Above The Tie, and at the time, just slightly less than Wolfman?
3. Why is there not an option to buy without the excessive packaging? As pointed out it just sits in a drawer and I can't shave with it so its not necessary!!

I know now by what has been written by a select few here that the razor shaves nothing like a Blackbird and delivers a great shave. I can't help but wonder if inking a deal with Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman either killed this completely or they will only be offered through them exclusively... I'm sure time will tell as they are still listed on they're sites but are shown as back-ordered / unavailable!!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
There is so much in this post that would echo my same sentiments... When I first saw the RS-10 I immediately thought 3 things...

1. Why would anyone make such a blatant rip off of a Blackland Blackbird?
2. Why is this guys "1st razor" on the market being priced higher than a few premium artisans, Timeless, Charcoal Goods, Blackland, Above The Tie, and at the time, just slightly less than Wolfman?
3. Why is there not an option to buy without the excessive packaging? As pointed out it just sits in a drawer and I can't shave with it so its not necessary!!

I know now by what has been written by a select few here that the razor shaves nothing like a Blackbird and delivers a great shave. I can't help but wonder if inking a deal with Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman either killed this completely or they will only be offered through them exclusively... I'm sure time will tell as they are still listed on they're sites but are shown as back-ordered / unavailable!!

1. It's absolutely not a rip-off of the Blackbird. They look similar aesthetically but that is where the similarities end
2. Because he can, and once I shaved with it, I thought the price was justified. Mind you I had to sell a bunch of stuff to afford it. Still worth it.
3. I totally agree, but it's his product to sell...

1. It's absolutely not a rip-off of the Blackbird. They look similar aesthetically but that is where the similarities end
2. Because he can, and once I shaved with it, I thought the price was justified. Mind you I had to sell a bunch of stuff to afford it. Still worth it.
3. I totally agree, but it's his product to sell...

You know, what I posted were thoughts or observations I'd had months ago and if you'd read the last part of the post I even said... "I know now by what has been written by a select few here that the razor shaves nothing like a Blackbird and delivers a great shave."

Guys, the reason the company closed has nothing to do with sales or lack thereof, and it's not a health related issue either.
The company did have a 14 day return policy.
They will NOT be selling any more razors anywhere. They will be selling the strips for the RS-18 for a few years.

Top Bottom