What's new

Ravaged by a Schone (Fatip)

Thank everyone for your insight and advice. Since based on the picture I posted, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong I'm going to keep at it and see if I can tame this monster. I remember my first shave with the GEM Jr left me bloody, just not this bloody, and I was able to figure out that razor. As long as there's nothing mechanically wrong, I should be able to get it to work.

Also, I tried to contact Schone directly, and I don't think they are still in business. This facebook hasn't been updated since 2016, and the contact email address based on their website bounces back my emails that I've sent with an error message.

I'm wondering if the ones being sold currently on Amazon are the last of the Schone razors.

Thank everyone for your insight and advice. Since based on the picture I posted, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong I'm going to keep at it and see if I can tame this monster. I remember my first shave with the GEM Jr left me bloody, just not this bloody, and I was able to figure out that razor. As long as there's nothing mechanically wrong, I should be able to get it to work.

Also, I tried to contact Schone directly, and I don't think they are still in business. This facebook hasn't been updated since 2016, and the contact email address based on their website bounces back my emails that I've sent with an error message.

I'm wondering if the ones being sold currently on Amazon are the last of the Schone razors.
The Amazon Schones were being sold by Alrossa, you can contact them. I emailed them a few times and they got back to me promptly.

My 2 cents?

Even with a tough beard and crazy neck beard direction I gave up on open combs. Why? Because at my age, I’ve discovered that a CCS (close comfortable shave) in two passes is enough. I don’t “faceturbate” as I used to (feeling for that 1000th of an inch of stubble) and heaven knows SWMBO don’t touch my face as she did in our teens so its “close enough” for this old dog.

Respect and awe to those who chase the dragon’s tail of BBS daily. I prefer my blood on the inside, thank you very much....

Faceturbate, absolutely love it, you had me laughing with that one @Mad Man.

Quick update: I did fiddle with the blade and I was able to get it centered so I will give it ago again, this time with a Wilkinson Sword (India) and I'll be trying a few different angles to see what works best. Thanks again to everyone's insight here, I really appreciate it.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Faceturbate, absolutely love it, you had me laughing with that one @Mad Man.

Quick update: I did fiddle with the blade and I was able to get it centered so I will give it ago again, this time with a Wilkinson Sword (India) and I'll be trying a few different angles to see what works best. Thanks again to everyone's insight here, I really appreciate it.
I have only been wet shaving about a year, and had been rotating between a Tech, 54 Flare Tip, and a New Short Comb, when I got my Schöne and Piccolo SE. I found the angles that work with my Gillette's also work with Fatip's, the Schöne being a little more aggressive.

My beard isn't heavy, but it is coarse, and at 64 years all I am looking for is a reasonably close shave, with emphasis being on comfort. I can get away with a 1 pass shave, but I hate to waste a whole bowl of lather, and usually go 2-3 passes just for fun.

I always use a fresh Feather when I try out a new razor, but I get the best results in my Fatip's with either a Nacet or Gillette Platinum.

Both Fatip's are now part of my weekly rotation......

I believe that Shone/Fatips are asymmetrical by design. They never look quite even. Just fiddle with the blade a bit and shave on. I always assume that one side would shave more efficiently, but they don’t seem to.

Well, I waited five days to fully heal and try the Schone again. This time with the blade better centered, and now armed with a ton of knowledge/wisdom shared on this thread. Thanks again for everyone who participated and offered their help.

I chose a steep angle with my Schone, something I've never really employed before with any razor, loaded a fresh Wilkinson Sword (india) blade and focused on angle and no pressure. After three passes WTD, XTG and ATG, followed by a touch up on the neck, I had a just had a DFS bordering extremely closely on a BBS. Absolutely no weepers, irritation and even when I rubbed my face with Alum, not even the slightest of stings. Talk about going from one extreme to the next. I don't know if it was just dumb luck or if the Schone / Fatip really is this smooth, but I'm going to keep using it to make my final conclusion.

Regardless, thanks again and wow, what a great shave today!

proxy.php

Prep: Hot Shower plus Grooming Dept Preshave
Soap: Haslinger Sheep's Milk
Razor: Schone
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (India)
Brush: West Coast Shaving Silvertip

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well, I waited five days to fully heal and try the Schone again. This time with the blade better centered, and now armed with a ton of knowledge/wisdom shared on this thread. Thanks again for everyone who participated and offered their help.

I chose a steep angle with my Schone, something I've never really employed before with any razor, loaded a fresh Wilkinson Sword (india) blade and focused on angle and no pressure. After three passes WTD, XTG and ATG, followed by a touch up on the neck, I had a just had a DFS bordering extremely closely on a BBS. Absolutely no weepers, irritation and even when I rubbed my face with Alum, not even the slightest of stings. Talk about going from one extreme to the next. I don't know if it was just dumb luck or if the Schone / Fatip really is this smooth, but I'm going to keep using it to make my final conclusion.

Regardless, thanks again and wow, what a great shave today!

proxy.php

Prep: Hot Shower plus Grooming Dept Preshave
Soap: Haslinger Sheep's Milk
Razor: Schone
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (India)
Brush: West Coast Shaving Silvertip

This is the level of shave quality my FaTips routinely provide.

Congratulations! :)

Congrats! The Fat Tip is one razor I have never tried. For a good discussion on blade angle look below.

Today was my third shave with the Schone and again had a great shave. I did have the slightest weeper above my lip and that was only because I tried to do a touch up without any soap, using residual slickness only. Other than that, it was another smoothie!

proxy.php

Quick Update: I continue to be amazed at just how smooth my Schone is now that I've dialed in a bit of technique (steeper angle) and paired with a Wilkinson Sword (India). Had another shave on Tuesday morning and again, three passes plus touch ups and absolutely no sting from the alum. I get the love for FaTip now! Also goes to show that you should never give up on a razor after the first shave.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Also goes to show that you should never give up on a razor after the first shave.

It took me months to learn my MMOC.

I think I had blood my first seven shaves with my Fatip Grande. Always at the right corner of my mouth. I had to adjust my technique to solve that and when I did, the bleeding stopped.

One shave is not enough to judge any razor.

I have some Bolzano's coming from Razor Blade Club, hopefully they arrive sometime this week. I cannot wait to try them with the FaTip.

Side Note: @never-stop-learning that's a bold shave scent wise :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Last night's shave

20200205_205422[1].jpg

I was shaving off 4 weeks growth and had the Schöne at the ready, but the Piccolo SE took care of it with one pass WTG.
An SAS and my face didn't feel like I shaved at all...........

I have a Schone open comb as well and it is one of my favorite razors. Some razors shave better with certain blades than others. I suggest you try different blades. I have found that I get my best shaves from the sharper blades. That means Polsilver SI and Gillette Silver Blue are my two favorites. Both work great for me in the Schone. But you definitely have to watch your technique. It seems that before trying the Schone you've been shaving with mostly straight bar razors and that this could be your first go with an open comb. Therefore, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this could be a matter of technique. Lots of good suggestions for improving your shaves with this razor including riding the cap, which I fully agree with. And watch the pressure as well.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have some Bolzano's coming from Razor Blade Club, hopefully they arrive sometime this week. I cannot wait to try them with the FaTip.

Side Note: @never-stop-learning that's a bold shave scent wise :)

Be very interested to see how you like the Bolzano blade, FaTip razor combination. :)

Personally, I really like this combination. :)

Tabac + The Veg works great together.

Wednesday is The Veg Day. 😍

The ladies at my Chiropractor's office are very complementary when I wear The Veg to my weekly appointment. 😎

Last night's shave

View attachment 1060271
I was shaving off 4 weeks growth and had the Schöne at the ready, but the Piccolo SE took care of it with one pass WTG.
An SAS and my face didn't feel like I shaved at all...........
Did you trim or went straight for it??

Last year I took 4m of growth with RR Jaws + Nacet.... took me longer to rinse the hair than shave. Next time will have paper towels and a trash can next to the sink. I think I did 2 passes but got some in grown hairs later.
All my previous times I have used a trimmer, and usually not shaved right away.

Is that Dior AS or EDT.... I like that stuff , currently ran out.

Top Bottom