What's new

Rattray’s Red Rapparee

Nah- some folks just don’t like Latakia. I won’t say it’s an acquired taste- more like a predisposition
It can be acquired though! Just to encourage folks to keep trying stuff...I didn't like Lat at all when I started on pipe. Now there are some lat heavy blends that I like...though I still have to be in a particular mood to have at them. It can happen, though!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I received a sample of Peretti Thanksgiving Day from Chef John. Thank you!
I detect the same flavor/room note that I find unpleasant in it, that I have associated with typical English blends. I have assumed it was Latakia. But there is no Latakia in Thanksgiving, so now I am at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I detect the same flavor/room note that I find unpleasant in it, that I have associated with typical English blends. I have assumed it was Latakia. But there is no Latakia in Thanksgiving, so now I am at a loss.

Might be the pipe. My Lat pipes color every blend with that smoky tinge.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Might be the pipe. My Lat pipes color every blend with that smoky tinge.

Yes, used the same pipe with a different blend and still got that lat smell. Salt and alcohol in it now. I knew I should have used my lat pipe.

Odd. Curious and curiouser...

Mike H

Instagram Famous
As a follow up, I tried it again in one of my cobs and I got the same smell. I don’t know what it is other than I don’t care for it. I associate it with English blends and assumed it was Latakia. A local B&M has some McClelland latakia blending tins left, I may pick one up to determine for sure if my aversion is in fact Latakia. Is there anisette in typical English blends?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
As a follow up, I tried it again in one of my cobs and I got the same smell. I don’t know what it is other than I don’t care for it. I associate it with English blends and assumed it was Latakia. A local B&M has some McClelland latakia blending tins left, I may pick one up to determine for sure if my aversion is in fact Latakia. Is there anisette in typical English blends?

Some Lat blends remind me of incense sometimes, but never thought of it as anise. Next time I have a bowl I’ll keep it in mind.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
No, there’s not.

Thanks Micah, I’m at a loss. A component of Thanksgiving day, that is also in English Blends that I do not like. Unless Chef John mislabeled the sample.

Thanks Micah, I’m at a loss. A component of Thanksgiving day, that is also in English Blends that I do not like. Unless Chef John mislabeled the sample.

I sent Tashkent and Thanksgiving day? Thanksgiving Day has big chunks. Tashkent was light ribbon.

It is possible I mislabled them.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I sent Tashkent and Thanksgiving day? Thanksgiving Day has big chunks. Tashkent was light ribbon.

It is possible I mislabled them.

I got packages labeled ccbbn, tgiving day, and marlin flake. I bet the package marked tgiving day is Tashkent. That would explain a lot. Thanks again for the samples.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
And confirm for me that Latakia smells like feet. Lol

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I wonder if it’s the orientals?

This was my thought too. Some folks are very sensitive to different orientals. Makes it tough, though, because many blends just say “orientals” without saying which particular ones.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Is the a Latakia blend without oriental?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have some OJK Red I’ll send you. I think it’s regular OJK with Latakia.

That would be great. The Black Death that Price sent me was a heavy lat blend and it did not bother me. It was pretty good.

I got packages labeled ccbbn, tgiving day, and marlin flake. I bet the package marked tgiving day is Tashkent. That would explain a lot. Thanks again for the samples.

Thanks it. Wanted to send tgiving... Misplaced the tin. :-( found it later of course. Misplaced it again while looking for it again .

Sorry for the confusion.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That would be great. The Black Death that Price sent me was a heavy lat blend and it did not bother me. It was pretty good.

I’ll throw in some straight Lat as well...although didn’t you have some from your plug experiments?

Top Bottom