What's new

Rate my home made razor

All great razors. Love to see everyones different spin on things. I believe we are still using solidworks as a cad/cam. And flow works but that os not rely razor related lol
Put that HAAS of yours to work. That is what I have. That a knee mill and manual lathe.

We have Solidworks also. Unfortunately I don’t use it enough (ever really took a class 10 years ago)That is a great program. I can’t wait to see your next design.

All great razors. Love to see everyones different spin on things. I believe we are still using solidworks as a cad/cam. And flow works but that os not rely razor related lol

Please keep us posted with your refinements and/or new versions. The beauty of "homemade" is that you decide your satisfaction.

Put that HAAS of yours to work. That is what I have. That a knee mill and manual lathe.

We have Solidworks also. Unfortunately I don’t use it enough (ever really took a class 10 years ago)That is a great program. I can’t wait to see your next design.
We have 3 HAAS mills and 3 HAAS lathes. A few old manuals. I used turrets lathes for a good many years but they have all been retired.

I used turrets lathes for a good many years but they have all been retired.

We still use turret lathes where I work. They're really heavy duty.

I have been considering making a safety razor too. But after considering the dimensional differences between different brands of blades, I think that instead of a full DE blade, I should design one for half a blade, so that there are fewer tolerances that need to be considered. I'm still working on the design, though.

Last edited:
We still use turret lathes where I work. They're really heavy duty.

I have been considering making a safety razor too. But after considering the dimensional differences between different brands of blades, I think that instead of a full DE blade, I should design one for half a blade, so that there are fewer tolerances that need to be considered. I'm still working on the design, though.

The photo shows my two favorite homemade razors. The darker one from mild steel has safety bars I can bend a little to adjust the way the razor works and feels. The aluminum one with the Merkur handle was made to be far too aggressive. Each day after shaving I stroked the blade height piece on the baseplate on one side or the other and finally on both sides with a metal file to reduce the aggression until it felt right. That took only four days until it suited me. I left myself back doors to make final adjustments rather than driving myself crazy to get it absolutely right the first time, and then getting highly emotional when it did not turn out right the first time. Both of these razors shave me so well that I cannot see a need for another razor, ever. A long time ago I read a post on a shave forum about a railroad porter whose razor was a small block of wood against which he held a blade, and he got good shaves.
B9CA8037-AE95-44DC-8A0F-80D1BF139F5F.jpeg

Top Bottom