What's new

Rate my home made razor

Anyone familiar with 3D printers and thingiverse? This is a razor on the site. I saw 2 and quit looking. Anyway, you download the file off thingiverse onto a thumb drive, stick it in the 3D printer, hit print. And there is about anything you could imagine on there. We have only been playing with 3D printing for a few years, and I believe it has printed more personal projects than work related, but hey.... its good practice LOL. Anyway, perhaps I should try printing one also???
FDM 3D printers in many ways are still more of a prototyping tool. In regards to razors, if the end result is suppose to mimic traditional designs and be usable at the same time, 3D printing will have it's limitations. But then again, we're comparing plastic to metal. Great job on your project. I like the minimal approach.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FDM 3D printers in many ways are still more of a prototyping tool. In regards to razors, if the end result is suppose to mimic traditional designs and be usable at the same time, 3D printing will have it's limitations. But then again, we're comparing plastic to metal. Great job on your project. I like the minimal approach.

Thanks
We use our printer here at work to print models of aluminum castings to see a real life part you can hold in your hand before spending the time and money to build a permanent mold and cast the part. Quite handy.

Thanks
We use our printer here at work to print models of aluminum castings to see a real life part you can hold in your hand before spending the time and money to build a permanent mold and cast the part. Quite handy.
Quite handy indeed. I recently took a shot at designing my own razor, and I must admit, the head is far from traditional. On the other hand, it does not require any metal screws, and I added three levels of aggression. I'm so pleased with it, that it has become my travel razor.

Quite handy indeed. I recently took a shot at designing my own razor, and I must admit, the head is far from traditional. On the other hand, it does not require any metal screws, and I added three levels of aggression. I'm so pleased with it, that it has become my travel razor.

this has sort of become a homemade razor show, which is awesome, so if you have a pic...would love to see it

this has sort of become a homemade razor show, which is awesome, so if you have a pic...would love to see it
As you wish. The first pic shows some of my designs. Initially, I wanted to duplicate one of my favorite SE razors (J. A. Henckels Rapide). But when it came to duplicating the head, the end result was weak and impractical. Nonetheless, it forced me to design according to the 3D printing capabilities. This turned out to be a plus since it allowed me to add interchangable OC plates (A=Medium, B=Mild, and C=Aggressive). It's an awesome performer. And if I break it or lose it, for less then a dollar worth of filament, I can 3D Print another.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

As you wish. The first pic shows some of my designs. Initially, I wanted to duplicate one of my favorite SE razors (J. A. Henckels Rapide). But when it came to duplicating the head, the end result was weak and impractical. Nonetheless, it forced me to design according to the 3D printing capabilities. This turned out to be a plus since it allowed me to add interchangable OC plates (A=Medium, B=Mild, and C=Aggressive). It's an awesome performer. And if I break it or lose it, for less then a dollar worth of filament, I can 3D Print another.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Impressed, I am. Looks great. What filament are you using? I do not have a lot of experience with different filaments, but some are quite brittle.

Impressed, I am. Looks great. What filament are you using? I do not have a lot of experience with different filaments, but some are quite brittle.

For the razor, I used CC3d Silk Copper PLA. Brittle prints are usually a result of unbalanced slicer parameters. Not all filaments are the same. I always run a test print on new filaments and create a slicer profile accordingly.

R

romsitsa

Impressive. I’d also suggest to add an inner curve to the cap and comb. Combined with the center ridge it should be an awesome razor.
For the “parade” V3, V4, V5 and their box.

9215166C-18A4-46AA-9C7F-D0CDBFB73FA7.jpeg3AE82B73-8D3E-4BE2-AE96-C92F26D1C112.jpeg00C20057-DABB-48B3-864A-7CBC3CE9E1ED.jpeg

Adam

Very nice job on your first go. Keep at it they will keep getting better each time.

I have made an injector, several SE razors, one being a 3D that is on thingverse. It is the TNNSER. I would stick with metals for razors. The 3D was mainly to see how printing would work.

I currently am making my first adjustable DE. I too make it at work in my down time. The perks of being a Supervisor. I will post some pictures if interested.

Tom

As you wish. The first pic shows some of my designs. Initially, I wanted to duplicate one of my favorite SE razors (J. A. Henckels Rapide). But when it came to duplicating the head, the end result was weak and impractical. Nonetheless, it forced me to design according to the 3D printing capabilities. This turned out to be a plus since it allowed me to add interchangable OC plates (A=Medium, B=Mild, and C=Aggressive). It's an awesome performer. And if I break it or lose it, for less then a dollar worth of filament, I can 3D Print another

Outstanding work and design :thumbup:

Here is my adjustable DE. It is brass and weighs in at a whopping 147 grams. This is my second iteration. I made it so I can dial the number in exactly with a rotating dial. I was also able to drop 10 grams. I still need to polish it out. Not looking forward to that.

My aluminum version is a nice light 57grams.

132AC967-16E0-4A1A-B574-5F2302DDCCFB.jpeg
642A71D1-98C0-43E9-A6F0-42A05CAAF3A7.jpeg

Very nice job on your first go. Keep at it they will keep getting better each time.

I have made an injector, several SE razors, one being a 3D that is on thingverse. It is the TNNSER. I would stick with metals for razors. The 3D was mainly to see how printing would work.

I currently am making my first adjustable DE. I too make it at work in my down time. The perks of being a Supervisor. I will post some pictures if interested.

Tom
Pictures of work in progress would be awesome to see.

Here is my adjustable DE. It is brass and weighs in at a whopping 147 grams. This is my second iteration. I made it so I can dial the number in exactly with a rotating dial. I was also able to drop 10 grams. I still need to polish it out. Not looking forward to that.

My aluminum version is a nice light 57grams.

View attachment 1062870View attachment 1062871
Wow! Impressive machining! Does it adjust by flexing the blade, or do the combs go up and down?

Wow! Impressive machining! Does it adjust by flexing the blade, or do the combs go up and down?

It works on the same principle as the PROGRESS. The comb is fixed and the base plate moves up and down. I picked that style as it has the fewest parts and is straight forward.

I love your designing. What program do you use? I do my stuff on MasterCam.

Tom

It works on the same principle as the PROGRESS. The comb is fixed and the base plate moves up and down. I picked that style as it has the fewest parts and is straight forward.

I love your designing. What program do you use? I do my stuff on MasterCam.

Tom
Nicely done! I think there's room in my collection for a PROGRESS. Lol

I use DesignSpark Mechanical. The free version has a strong following.

Tom
Avsolutely interested!

All great razors. Love to see everyones different spin on things. I believe we are still using solidworks as a cad/cam. And flow works but that os not rely razor related lol

Top Bottom