What's new

Rate my home made razor

Anyone familiar with 3D printers and thingiverse? This is a razor on the site. I saw 2 and quit looking. Anyway, you download the file off thingiverse onto a thumb drive, stick it in the 3D printer, hit print. And there is about anything you could imagine on there. We have only been playing with 3D printing for a few years, and I believe it has printed more personal projects than work related, but hey.... its good practice LOL. Anyway, perhaps I should try printing one also???

Attachments

• plastic.jpg
    plastic.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 46
Brother trent,

Now you know why safety razors cost so much! A lotta work, time and frustration goes into research and development, and too often the results are mediocre at best.

Keep us updated on your continuing progress, and best wishes for a close and comfortable shaving machine!

Brother trent,

Now you know why safety razors cost so much! A lotta work, time and frustration goes into research and development, and too often the results are mediocre at best.

Keep us updated on your continuing progress, and best wishes for a close and comfortable shaving machine!
Ah yes research and development. As opposed to half arsed seat of the pants fabrication. 2 opposite ends of the spectrum LOL

And the thing I like about yours is its "minimalistic" functionality. Mine took machines that a lot of people do not have and the time to shave quality/looks ratio is probably a bit off LOL. Definitely cannot sell them for a profit HAHA.

The trouble with most things we make is we could never charge anyone what we have invested in time. When someone asks me to do something or make something, I ask them to make a donation in any amount they think fair to a charitable organization of their choice. I tell them I would be pleased if it were a Christian organization, but that is up to them. They do not need to report back to me what or where they donated. Doing that also saves me the task of setting a dollar amount on the value of the item.

We moved across the country two plus years ago. I needed to make something days before we left with our rental truck. I had only a handful of small tools available. It gave me a big appreciation for the tools packed in one of the many boxes.

I admire your machinist skills. As I said before, when you get it tuned the way you want it and get enough practice with it to feel very comfortable with it, you will really enjoy shaving with a razor you made. Initially, my homemade razor bit me and drew blood a few times. After regular use, I know just what I can and cannot do with it, and it almost never bites me now.

The trouble with most things we make is we could never charge anyone what we have invested in time. When someone asks me to do something or make something, I ask them to make a donation in any amount they think fair to a charitable organization of their choice. I tell them I would be pleased if it were a Christian organization, but that is up to them. They do not need to report back to me what or where they donated. Doing that also saves me the task of setting a dollar amount on the value of the item.

We moved across the country two plus years ago. I needed to make something days before we left with our rental truck. I had only a handful of small tools available. It gave me a big appreciation for the tools packed in one of the many boxes.

I admire your machinist skills. As I said before, when you get it tuned the way you want it and get enough practice with it to feel very comfortable with it, you will really enjoy shaving with a razor you made. Initially, my homemade razor bit me and drew blood a few times. After regular use, I know just what I can and cannot do with it, and it almost never bites me now.
I come from a family that did not always have a lot of money. I learned that when you need something you make what you have work and you fix what you have when it breaks. There is something pretty special to me about a man working with his hands and improvising. I believe it is a blessing and an art that I hope I am passing onto my kids. Thanks for sharing.

I will know more tomorrow, but I am afraid it is going to be best utilized as a conversation piece LOL
Well that’s the risk you take.i think if it doesn’t come out in the shave if you have the ability to Bronz weld and have access to a Bridgeport weld the bottom cap and mill it so it’s round may help.

First shave report:

Shower and soak VDH, rub face with a dab of cremo, load boar brush with VDH, grab Captains Choice ceramic bowl and whip up a nice creamy lather. NOt too wet, not too dry....it was JUUUST right. Rub said beautiful lather all over face and neck. Deep breath...here we go. Grab homemade razor. PLace on face near ear....gentle pull...what the...OMGoodness. WOW! I complete my first pass slightly with and slightly cross grain, soap up again and second pass is slighty against and mostly cross grain. Cold water splash. Rub extra VDH on legs, no not shaving them haha, ti keeps my skin hydrated and healthy. Splash face with Clubman. Maybe slightly more sting than usual, but first time with a heavy razor and I was so impressed with it I was trying hard for the BBS. In places but not on my neck. Never have been able to achieve BBS on neck without looking like a strawberry and getting ingrown hairs. Anyway, rinse brush and bowl and put away. Grab the bottle of Captains choice balm, couple shots in the hand and rub on face and neck. Good to go.

My new razor findings:
1. Very heavy, heaviest I have ever put to my face for sure. But I liked it. Felt more in control than a light razor when I cannot tell if I am holding anything lol
2. Blade is a bit off center so 1 side is more aggressive and 1 side more mild. (too much eyeball not enough digital readout LOL)My neck likes mild and my face and around goatie like aggressive to chop a nice straight line in 1 swath. So, win? 2 razors in 1.
3.Blade is a bit flexible, it feels like. As someone mentioned, my cap does not create a lot of curve. Did not affect getting a DFS comfortably, so meh? No worries there. Just could be improved upon to be perfected.
4. This is the worst of all.....It REAKS! of tap magic LOL. Stainless is not very machinable. Sort of soft and gummy depending on the alloy. Does not tap worth a darn. But tap magic is a wonderful tapping fluid that makes tapping stainless without busting tiny taps more than possible and almost easy. It does however STINK! So when this razor is by your nose, you smell it. But that will wear off with time.

All in all, super impressed and if I did not already have some razors I enjoy, and also some I want to try yet, I could use this razor everyday for the rest of my life and be well pleased. Or so it seems at this time. I have to assume the brass and stainless will hold up for a very long time, The weak point likely being the zinc plated screw I brazed in the cap for a stem. I should have ran up town and got a brass 1. Had I known the razor would end so well I would have. Dang my pessimistic influenced half arsedness. Way cool. I have built far more complex, delicate, big heavy, long drawn out, I have been a machinist for some 23 years. And help my farmer Dad. YOu know how much stuff I have built for junk farm equipment? Anyway, I have built way more impressive things than this razor, but I am not sure any of them brought me more joy than when I drug this thing across my face LOL. Here is to another successful build. Now to polish.......but if I know me, I like fabricating functional and I am not much on sand and polish pretty LOL. We will see.

Thanks for coming along on my build your own razor journey.

The REX Ambassador purposely has one side of the razor more aggressive than the other side with the idea the less aggressive side is for final touch up.

Hello, had a few theories waiting to be tested, so grabbed a piece of brass and filed out a base plate. It’s a dual comb with the geometry of a Gillette old type, except it’s narrower ( more blade feel without a gap).
After two test runs all I can say is that the sb side is smoother than the oc, it shaves close but still comfortable.

View attachment 1032511 View attachment 1032512 View attachment 1032513 View attachment 1032514 View attachment 1032510

Adam
Thank you. V3 is finished, still closer to a devette than a safety razor, but milder than V2.

View attachment 1035425View attachment 1035426View attachment 1035427

Adam

Here is a couple from a thread here on B&B. These do not even look home made.

Top Bottom