What's new

Rate my home made razor

I was bored at work. I want a brass razor but do not have one. I do however have a knee mill and an old brass bushing...….I will whip up a handle, see if it shaves. If I can make it shave I will polish the shine into it LOL I obviously will trim the stem when the time comes to put a handle to it. Looking for ideas for repurposed handle. I have seen the spent ammo cartridge. Was thinking maybe copper tubing to contrast brass head. Ideas?

Attachments

• razor maker.jpg
    razor maker.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 193
What will you use for a blade?
I have some Treet, Dorco, and Feather. Maybe some other odds and ends. TRY EM ALL! I think I am going to need more blade gap, but I do not have a blade with me to try. Made it from blade measurements found here on the good ole B AND B. Went with a stainless handle. It may be too handle heavy, but it will work until I decide on another handle. pic uploading

A friend likes his $3 center punch. The hole is just the right size to put the correct tap in.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
I like that idea. I have some deburring handles and scribes that I may look at also! Thanks. However....got home, loaded blade. NEEDS MORE GAP! Back to the mill tomorrow for some fine tuning.

I was bored at work. I want a brass razor but do not have one. I do however have a knee mill and an old brass bushing...….I will whip up a handle, see if it shaves. If I can make it shave I will polish the shine into it LOL I obviously will trim the stem when the time comes to put a handle to it. Looking for ideas for repurposed handle. I have seen the spent ammo cartridge. Was thinking maybe copper tubing to contrast brass head. Ideas?
I don't understand you made the base and the top plate in a short time while idle at work?
Am I missing something?

I think it is great that you made your own razor. My favorite razor is one I made from 1/8 x 1 inch aluminum bar. I used a hand file to do most of the shaping. I made mine so it was wildly too aggressive and then worked the blade support area on the base plate down a few strokes each day between morning shaves until it felt right. I thought that would be easier than trying to increase the gap later. Blade alignment is by fiddling, but I made an adjustable jig for installing and aligning the blade. The handle is from a Merkur 23C. It is a lot of fun to shave with a razor you made for yourself.
E44C8BE6-CC9A-497C-95A3-E31A3760B853.jpeg

I don't understand you made the base and the top plate in a short time while idle at work?
Am I missing something?
I made base, top cap, and handle while I was at work. I am a supervisor now for the last oh... forever. Our crew has been here a while. So barring any emergency situations, I am pretty much a babysitter for grown men lol. I like to work on little projects to keep my skills sharp so to speak. And pass the time until someone says, "Hey, I broke this" then I jump to ACTION!

I think it is great that you made your own razor. My favorite razor is one I made from 1/8 x 1 inch aluminum bar. I used a hand file to do most of the shaping. I made mine so it was wildly too aggressive and then worked the blade support area on the base plate down a few strokes each day between morning shaves until it felt right. I thought that would be easier than trying to increase the gap later. Blade alignment is by fiddling, but I made an adjustable jig for installing and aligning the blade. The handle is from a Merkur 23C. It is a lot of fun to shave with a razor you made for yourself.
View attachment 1062195
I think I may have seen that before. I have seen a few homemade razors on the internet. Some here on BB I think. Anyway, good work. I like it. I should have went super aggressive like you say, it would have been easier to go the other direction. We will see how things go today.

I think I may have seen that before. I have seen a few homemade razors on the internet. Some here on BB I think. Anyway, good work. I like it. I should have went super aggressive like you say, it would have been easier to go the other direction. We will see how things go today.
I modified the jig a little. The baseplate can slide side-to-side a few thousandths of an inch, but the top cap does not. That changes the distance between the blade edge and the safety bar on each side. I added a carefully placed forward support for the handle on the jig to keep the position of the baseplate controlled.

I like the blade slot alignment feature you made. Drilling three holes in proper precise alignment is a challenge I have not yet mastered with the tools and experience I have, but I am working on it. I hope all goes well on your next example. I am eager to hear about it.

Last edited:
I should have made the base a bit wider. Had to leave some nubs on the corners to protect from gouging corners in face LOL oops. Also have a couple pits in the top cap where I brazed the stem in :( But for a first try with little attention to detail (did not want to spend too much time when I did not know if it would even work) I am pleased. I gave it more blade gap this morning. It shaves arm hair fine. I am not putting it on my face until I get home and use some cream. Face does not like dry shave.

Attachments

• pits.jpg
    pits.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 57
  • blade nubs.jpg
    blade nubs.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 58
I modified the jig a little. The baseplate can slide side-to-side a few thousandths of an inch, but the top cap does not. That changes the distance between the blade edge and the safety bar on each side. I added a carefully placed forward support for the handle on the jig to keep the position of the baseplate controlled.

I like the blade slot alignment feature you made. Drilling three holes in proper precise alignment is a challenge I have not yet mastered with the tools and experience I have, but I am working on it. I hope all goes well on your next example. I am eager to hear about it.
And the thing I like about yours is its "minimalistic" functionality. Mine took machines that a lot of people do not have and the time to shave quality/looks ratio is probably a bit off LOL. Definitely cannot sell them for a profit HAHA.

Very creative!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I predict that the next will look better than many on the market!!
perhaps some modern computer aided drafting and this beauty will be due on the next...… I love having a machine shop at my disposal LOL Makes personal projects so much fun

Attachments

• umc.jpg
    umc.jpg
    949.6 KB · Views: 28
This is awesome! For V2, I recommend adding some curvature to the underside of your cap since it looks pretty flat. The thin blade really needs a bend for rigidity.
Thanks 2 things I have noted for future razors

1. More curve
2. Start off more gap
3. Thinner cap

Yes that was 3 I thought of 1 more LOL

Top Bottom