What's new

Rare - Old Spice Special Edition Shaving Mug & Soap.

Is this the rarest Old Spice Shaving Mug?

Old Spice Gentleman's Shaving Mug

Special Edition No. 3708
Hand Made in England by Shulton.

Listed at www.CR8ON.com which states the following;

ENGLAND MUG 02 Value $285 - RARE

This mug is made by Wade Pottery in England and shows a ship on one side and an Old Spice inscription on the other and comes with a porcelain cover. Based on the Wade Pottery mark, this mug dates between 1969 and 1984.

$Old Spice Special Edition Shaving Mug.jpg

Within my collection I house this extremely rare Old Spice Shaving Mug and my research thus far indicates that it is the most rare of all Old Spice shaving mugs. I have only seen one of these Special Edition Mugs before and it was without its lid and had no soap within. Further, it did not have the Special Edition numbered paper sticker on it's base, which revealed a blue printed Wade Pottery mark underneath. Checking on the Old Spice history list at www.CR8ON.com reveals that this mug is valued around $285.00 and marked RARE. It further states that it is porcelain and dates between 1969 and 1984 and made in England.

Now I have no idea of when the value above was placed on their website or even if they bother to update it and assume that it refers to one that is complete and in mint condition.

The Old Spice soap within has a fragrance that is much more concentrated than the normal Old Spice cake. That is, the smell is much more acute and very pleasing.

So I thought by showing it here others would be able to appreciate its beauty and that it might reveal another from a dedicated Old Spice collector.

Written on one side of the mug;

Old Spice

This superb quality shave soap
gives rich, creamy lather
for a really close and satisfying shave.
It stays moist and smooth throughout the shave,
and has the masculine freshness of old spice.
Shulton.

On the other side is written;

Ship Grand Turk

And written in the middle is;

Shaving Mug.

Written on the label underneath the base is;

Old Spice

Gentleman's Shaving Mug.
Special Edition No. 3708
contains 100g shaving soap
Hand made in England by Shulton.

Stamped into the soap contained within is;

an illustration of a ship and words that say,

Old Spice Shaving Soap
Shulton, New York, London, Paris.
The measurements are approx;

Height with lid = 83mm & Diameter 95mm

These measurements do not include the handle.
The porcelain lid is indented across its entire width to accommodate the resting of a brush.

ENJOY.

Regards,

BarrysCool
---------------------------------------
ɹǝpun-uʍoppuɐl ʇɐǝɹƃ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ - looɔsʎɹɹɐq

Last edited:
Interesting. I had not seen that before. I'm curious how its rarity compares with the original Hull Pottery mugs from the '40s.

I have never seen one either..........Just guessing but I would say you have a very rare item. And it looks great!............JR

With the vast majority of Old Spice mugs looking very similar, there's something to be said for uniqueness. Nice mug!

With the vast majority of Old Spice mugs looking very similar, there's something to be said for uniqueness. Nice mug!

I agree, sometimes an item is just so right, it makes you wonder why Shulton didn't make all the others the same.

I saw one pop up on ebay uk once. The auction promptly disappeared after a couple days so I assume the seller got wind of what he had and sold it privately.

I've seen photos of those before, but never heard of someone actually having one. And yours looks like an exceptional example - nice :001_smile

What I'd really like is to find a sealed Old Spice soap that's still usable and still has its fragrance - and I'd use it! (My dad used to use them, so I'd like to get the chance to use one)

having something like that to me would be like having a cake in the house and on a diet. every time id walk by it i want to break out the brush and razor. in the end id end up using it.

Top Bottom