What's new

RARE 1960's GILLETTE 195 Fatboy FAT BOY Bottom Dial SAFETY RAZOR with CASE

Why way overpriced?? Looks like a mint bottom dial.
You know what. I just assumed it was, but just did some more research, maybe it is actually a good price. I didn't notice right away that it has the correct case, no blades though, and I thought they made two a 1-5 and a 1-9 dial and thought the 1-5 was more rare? Can't remember now. I was just going off my quick search on the forum that said $500 was what two sold for, but just double checked and that was in 2010. Hopefully someone bought it and got a pristine one.

But does it shave as well as a $150 used Fat Boy in good condition? That is the question.

Sorry, to me that is not the question, brother Steve - because we all know that most probably this will never be the case. Dang, my 20 USD Tech shave matches most of all my expensive razors. And when you are dialled in you can get a good shave out of most any razor.

My personal vintage razor obsession really is the total opposite of a ‘shave quality per dollar invested’ approach. Rather than price I acquire based solely on all the immeasurable stuff such as history, looks, feel-in-hand etc.

I have very particular tastes and have deselected many fine models because “they don’t do anything emotionally” for me. And I’ve paid high dollar for models I just simply wanted. On top, I prefer really well preserved or refurbished specimens, fully acknowledging that a user grade no-plating-left vintage razor will shave just as great as a perfect condition shiny one of the same species.

Obviously all this means that I am doing really poorly on a ‘shave quality per dollar invested’ scale. That’s my personal choice and I love it. YMMV of course, I fully respect other approaches.

Happy shaves!

But does it shave as well as a $150 used Fat Boy in good condition? That is the question.

Setting for setting, mine shaves better than my FatBoy - BUT lets say "not 50" times better.
It shaves the same as my F4 Toggle. To my eye it looks like the same head, which would explain it.

I didn’t even bid, but my coworker and I were watching it as it ended.
I was sort of hoping for some last minute bidding action.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
My ebay app never showed me it. Hahaha.

Great deal on shipping though! I wonder if its being sent in a bubble mailer......

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I was watching this with interest as well. A great collector piece. It made me think of the guy a few years back who found one in the wild. I can't remember his tag, but he didn't really know what he had and neither did the seller. It was a great thread...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was watching this with interest as well. A great collector piece. It made me think of the guy a few years back who found one in the wild. I can't remember his tag, but he didn't really know what he had and neither did the seller. It was a great thread...
Lol, I wonder if I looked right over "some old razor" years ago at a garage sale that I could sell today and buy a nice used car with the proceeds!

The winning bidder must have had money to burn, good for him.

I'll stick with my sub $15 Techs. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom