What's new

RARE 1960's GILLETTE 195 Fatboy FAT BOY Bottom Dial SAFETY RAZOR with CASE

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Lol, I wonder if I looked right over "some old razor" years ago at a garage sale that I could sell today and buy a nice used car with the proceeds!
That thread made me think the same thing. When I go to antique stores and Peddlers Malls I always scour the shelves and open drawers hoping I don't miss anything. I have occasionally made some great finds that way, particularly looking for old razors which often find a random shelf. It seems like they're always hidden in a pile of trinkets. Kinda makes it fun. Maybe someday I'll find my Toggle like that. We'll see.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A bottom dial case alone can be worth $500.

A year before I was a member here there was a bottom dial Fatboy in a presentation case for sale 5 minutes from me. I thought the US$195 asking price was too much. Shame on me...

Thanks for reminding me of that! lol

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I found the thread I was referencing earlier in the thread. It seems my memory was fuzzy. The buyer knew what he had, the seller certainly did not.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I found the thread I was referencing earlier in the thread. It seems my memory was fuzzy. The buyer knew what he had, the seller certainly did not.

Thanks for the link. I just read through it. Amazing. Wonder if he kept the beard, lol.

Why the hell would anyone pay that for a razor!! [emoji2371][emoji2371][emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would spend that one a razor???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For some of the guys who are of the more serious collecting mindset, that’s not too severe a price to pay. I recall a while back that an early serial toggle in leather case sold for $5k.
The early adjustables are the interesting batch; they are old and too far out of reach to happen upon an old store that might still be carrying a new example, but not so old that the history of them is entirely lost. They were created past the metal drives of the 1940’s that saw untold numbers of razors scrapped for the war effort, so unless the razor was just tossed... or smashed with a hammer as one met it’s demise... they survived in relative ambiguity in a drawer until someone decides to sell it. This applied to even the actual prototypes, the one offs, not just the limited production runs that saw only a few thousand examples released to a test market.
There are enough of them out there to really increase knowledge about them, but they are scarce enough to drive demand up. There are what, three prototype double rings known? Each made for someone specific; John Joyce, King Gillette and Ward Holloway. There are a tiny number of Pat Ap For Gillettes in the litho tin boxes, and then there are the Pat Apl’d For razors and regular run Double Rings. Of all of those, exactly three are unobtanium, One style is ultra rare, one is rather rare and one is somewhat rare.
If you look at the Adjustables, the story changes. You have five different types of Toggle, three of bottom dial and then the general run fatboys and slims. There are even a good amount of rare fatboys. The common ones are relatively common, so everyone can see, hold and use one. The rare ones are cool and rare but not so rare that only a few people that never post have one. All of that increases demand and desireability.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Why the hell would anyone pay that for a razor!!

Gillette 195's have sold for more than the one the OP posted about, without the case. Monetary value can be inconsequential to serious collectors of anything.

Gillette 195's have sold for more, without the case.
Also not as pristine as this one was either. If I had the money to burn I would have loved to own it, took me forever to get a Serial Toggle for a good price.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Also not as pristine as this one was either. If I had the money to burn I would have loved to own it, took me forever to get a Serial Toggle for a good price.

Patience is a virtue or so 'they' say haha.

Rare Razor and minty case! You do not see cases that often, in fact the case is rarer than the razor. If you cannot afford to roll with the big boys.. out you go!

Top Bottom