What's new

Rapt_up DE shaving journal - The journey begins

Todays shave brought to you by the new BIC chrome platinum I used yesterday in the Lupo DC but on the 72 OC side. Better, wetter lather today, and I think the feedback is just right, can feel the blade doing what it needs to, but no sensation of roughness, or pulling. One and half passes, nice close shave. DFS+ little to no irritation. :) I think the OC gives a slicker shave, because the comb leaves more lather to get the blade/skin junction. Over all very happy. I think this works as well as the 95SB does for me. I am noticing I tend to steeper shave angle and that is definitely affecting the feeling of smoothness during the shave and which razors work better for me.

Had a nice shave this morning, took some time, had my shower then lathered up at the sink with the Gentleman's Nod Musashi, and the Razorock 400 Plissoft synthetic brush. It makes a lot of lather compared to my little Boar Omega. :)
Shave with the Lupo 72 OC and the Bic blade I've been using. Really good shave today, smooth, close as any shave I've had. Definitely DFS+ near BBS. Even now, 9 hrs after its still a really close shave. I think it helps when I remember to moisturize the night before.

Had a busy day did a rush shave with the Lupo 95sb and Bic blade, 2 minutes, one pass with ck-6 super wet lather, no nicks cuts or irritation, a SAS, not super close but fast and acceptable.

Definitely getting more comfortable with DE razors.

A little more time now, and I just wanted to comment a bit on the RR Plissoft 400 brush. At first it just seemed huge, big long heavy aluminum handle, fluffy synthetic knot, and just "so much" compared to the small boar bristle Omega with wood handle I have been using for close to 10 years.

So today is the third day I have used it, and the things that immediately become apparent is how much lather this brush makes compared to the little Omega, and with less effort. Also the feel of the brush on your face is something different too. Its both softer and yet gives the impression of both working into the skin and whiskers better, cleaning and yet being less scratchy at the same time.

I was unsure I would enjoy this large brush or that it would feel right when I first got it, but I'm definitely preferring it right now. I also purchased a smaller synthetic brush (RR Amici with Plissoft knot) that is closer in size and weight to the Omega, but I think its going to become part of my travel kit so I don't need to haul the big 400 around, hopefully its similar in feel and performance in a smaller lighter package. I will try it out soon so its "broken in" when it goes on trips.

Just saw @flask28's post about his fancy brush and how he came to have it. Made me think more about my brushes, how they work and that I should record my thoughts and experiences as I start with them. Rather than just plod along with the old Omega that I had simply because it was all that was available in my town 10 years ago when I needed one.

Reading flask28's posts about the community and generousity reminds me my experiences and made me reflect on the great support and sense of community I have encountered here, in the very short time I've been here. This community is so much more than most of the online experiences I have found over the years. Its really exceptional, from blade exchanges to PIF's, pass arounds, and so much more. Folks offering their experiences, reading and supporting new users, even the addition of little extras in packages when purchasing items.

Its great to see and feel this, and to feel a welcome part of it as a new person.

A little more time now, and I just wanted to comment a bit on the RR Plissoft 400 brush. At first it just seemed huge, big long heavy aluminum handle, fluffy synthetic knot, and just "so much" compared to the small boar bristle Omega with wood handle I have been using for close to 10 years.

So today is the third day I have used it, and the things that immediately become apparent is how much lather this brush makes compared to the little Omega, and with less effort. Also the feel of the brush on your face is something different too. Its both softer and yet gives the impression of both working into the skin and whiskers better, cleaning and yet being less scratchy at the same time.

@Guido75, don't you rock a 400? I swear I remember reading you were a big fan. In fact it was your photos of that brush that made me realize the Alpha handle I have is a slightly modified version of this vintage Rubberset handle. In fact the Zenith @Tanuki and I received recently is another take on that shape. @Tanuki posted some other examples in this thread...that I can't find. My search kung fu is failing :)

Just saw @flask28's post about his fancy brush and how he came to have it. Made me think more about my brushes, how they work and that I should record my thoughts and experiences as I start with them. Rather than just plod along with the old Omega that I had simply because it was all that was available in my town 10 years ago when I needed one.

Brushes are a total rabbit hole for sure, but sharing your experiences with brushes is a great idea!! Both because it helps everyone else but also it's fun to go back and see what you thought before. My opinon on some of my brushes have changed three or four times. "This is the brush!!" and then three months later "Well, I hate this brush" lol.

Its really exceptional, from blade exchanges to PIF's, pass arounds, and so much more. Folks offering their experiences, reading and supporting new users, even the addition of little extras in packages when purchasing items.

Its great to see and feel this, and to feel a welcome part of it as a new person.

Isn't it? Just wait till this fall, the community comes out in droves. And thanks for joining it my friend! I'm sure enjoying your posts and explorations so far.

I most certainly do gents @flask28 and @Rapt_up - I affectionately call it my Lather King. :001_wub:

There isn’t a soap it cannot handle. It’s soft yet with backbone, dries quickly and looks amazing too. And it’s not overly priced as well. I have eyed other variations more than is good for me. I used it this morning actually and thought to myself I would be very pleased if I had more than one. The black or red handle ones are beautiful too.

TLDR: super brush! If you don’t have one, get one. I’m sure @timetofly can chime in as well.

Enjoy!

Guido

Thanks @flask28 and @Guido75, this certainly opened my eyes to that side of stuff. I have to say I'm really enjoying the journey. I was looking at this brush, it was on sale and the video of it being pressed etc, really sold me, especially given how much some brushes are. So I figured what the heck, I paid less than $20 USD for it.

I'm glad I did, and yes the black and red really are sharp too. I'm not usually a red guy, but for some reason I like red shaving things... LOL... Who knew.

Todays shave at the sink after a shower and face wash with CeraVe face cleanser, soap was Gentleman's Nod Musashi, with a few crystals from the Chill Mill, lathered up on the Shiny 400, super wet and sloppy. Worked in really well, and then shaved with the RR Lupo DC, 72 OC side... clean and easy , nice smooth shave, one pass with the 7 OC and a couple touchups under my nose with the 95 SB side. Good rinse down and moisturize with vaseline and water. DFS++ with BBS in a couple areas, and super comfortable, probably my most comfortable DE shave to date. Definitely in a groove here.

Happy camper. My wife even commented on how good it looked, and felt this morning.

I most certainly do gents @flask28 and @Rapt_up - I affectionately call it my Lather King. :001_wub:

There isn’t a soap it cannot handle. It’s soft yet with backbone, dries quickly and looks amazing too. And it’s not overly priced as well. I have eyed other variations more than is good for me. I used it this morning actually and thought to myself I would be very pleased if I had more than one. The black or red handle ones are beautiful too.

TLDR: super brush! If you don’t have one, get one. I’m sure @timetofly can chime in as well.

Enjoy!

Guido
@Guido75 , I'm here, and I'm chimin'.

Used the the RR 400 today and used a soap that has been challenging for others to get a lather. The notorious and great performer - Mitchell's Wool Fat.
The image reflects a semi built lather. I took this lather to full lather and had enough for a 4 pass shave, albeit, I only did two with some touch up.

Yeah, this thing can lather!

20230324_145310.jpg

Did a nice leisurely shave this morning. Showered, then went to the sink, PAA Ck-6 Danaid, with RR 400 Plissoft noir. Made a nice wet lather, worked it in really well on my face. Started with a coupek strokes on the GC 84 P and rapidly decided I wasn't going to get the shave I like and the feel that I get with the Lupo. Did a nice 2 pass XTG/ATG shave with the 72 OC side and a couple touchups with the 95 SB.... Result was a really smooth shave, no irritation and.... BBS over 90% of the shave area, DFS+ along the underside of my jaw line. 😀😎 Moisturized with Vaseline and water.

So happy with this, best shave to date!

Last edited:
Followed today with another similar shave, used Gentleman's Nod and did a 1 pass ATG shave today with the LUPO DC 72 OC side and touchups with the 95 SB side. Pretty much the same result as yesterday. Comfortable enough shave, little to no irritation, and a BBS over most of my face with DFS+ along the underside of my jaw and neck.

Content with this result. :) Thinking the Aluminum Lupo, the RR GC 68 Jaws and 84P plate will likely be departing my ownership. Along with some soaps I don't like the smell of, and some other bits and bobs.

Last edited:
Todays shave was in the shower, busy morning. No time to dally. Used the CK-6 with the RR400 brush, the Lupo DC on 95SB side with the same Bic blade I started on with this razor, (we're at at least 6-7 shaves now I think) for a single pass ATG/XTG depending on the areas of my face. DFS over most of my face, SAS on the underside of the jawline. Zero irritation. Quick and easy shave. I think my lather was a bit thick today because I was in a hurry and didn't spend the time thinning it out, and thats why I didn't get as close on the easy areas. And of course no touchups.

the ERA 5 SB and OC plates are due to be delivered today... Canada post is being exquisitely slow with this one. Its been in town since Friday but delivery wasn't guaranteed before Wednesday, so they are making sure it takes its time. :rolleyes5 Hoping this is close to the efficiency of the Lupo 95. The shaves I'm getting here and the ATG performance is exciting.

The comparisons have got me wondering about Blackbirds or Athenas.... I won't head into Wolfman territory unless I snag a super deal on one second hand...

Last edited:
Todays shave was in the shower, busy morning. No time to dally. Used the CK-6 with the RR400 brush, the Lupo DC on 95SB side with the same Bic blade I started on with this razor, (we're at at least 6-7 shaves now I think) for a single pass ATG/XTG depending on the areas of my face. DFS over most of my face, SAS on the underside of the jawline. Zero irritation. Quick and easy shave. I think my lather was a bit thick today because I was in a hurry and didn't spend the time thinning it out, and thats why I didn't get as close on the easy areas. And of course no touchups.

the ERA 5 SB and OC plates are due to be delivered today... Canada post is being exquisitely slow with this one. Its been in town since Friday but delivery wasn't guaranteed before Wednesday, so they are making sure it takes its time. :rolleyes5 Hoping this is close to the efficiency of the Lupo 95. The shaves I'm getting here and the ATG performance is exciting.

The comparisons have got me wondering about Blackbirds or Athenas.... I won't head into Wolfman territory unless I snag a super deal on one second hand...
Gotta love Canada post eh. Sometimes a day early, others a day late...no rhyme no reason!

Shower shave today, same combo but for the Gentlemans Nod Musashi, have to say that the RR 400 brush is continuing to impress me with how much easier it is to make a lather in copious quantities with little effort.

Lupo DC 72 OC side primary one and half ATG/XTG combined pass shave with touchups on the 95 SB side. Super comfortable shave today, DFS++ closeness, closer under the jawline, but not quite BBS on the cheeks. I'm putting this down to the blade now having a fair number of shaves on it. Might not be quite as sharp as it once was. lol

I think the reason I prefer the Lupo over the GC is the slight difference in optimal shave angle, and the Lupo works better at my naturally steeper angle than the GC does... At least thats what it seems to me.... I just have to work that bit harder at maintaining that different angle with the GC.

IN shower shave today with the Blackland ERA 5 OC, Bic CP blade, and Gentleman's Nod Musashi and RR 400 Brush, super wet lather.

Shave was smooth in the sense that while there was feedback of the whiskers on the blade, there was not "noise" or pulling, just smooth "pop pop pop". That said this razor while way more efficient that the 2 OC head, is still not as efficient as either side of the Lupo DC head. 2 full ATG/XTG passes plus touchups and achieved only a DFS++ shave for closeness and DFS+under my jawline. That said it was very smooth and there was not irritation or pulling even with ATG first pass shaving.

I know razors get all the attention, but really I think if a new wet shaver wants to make the biggest difference in their shave they should get a good brush. The RR 400 makes lathering so much easier, faster and gives better combination of scrubbing and softness for painting for me than my previous pharmacy Omega boar brushes and for barely any more money, if you can find one on sale or second hand.

IN shower shave today with the Blackland ERA 5 OC, Bic CP blade, and Gentleman's Nod Musashi and RR 400 Brush, super wet lather.

Shave was smooth in the sense that while there was feedback of the whiskers on the blade, there was not "noise" or pulling, just smooth "pop pop pop". That said this razor while way more efficient that the 2 OC head, is still not as efficient as either side of the Lupo DC head. 2 full ATG/XTG passes plus touchups and achieved only a DFS++ shave for closeness and DFS+under my jawline. That said it was very smooth and there was not irritation or pulling even with ATG first pass shaving.

I know razors get all the attention, but really I think if a new wet shaver wants to make the biggest difference in their shave they should get a good brush. The RR 400 makes lathering so much easier, faster and gives better combination of scrubbing and softness for painting for me than my previous pharmacy Omega boar brushes and for barely any more money, if you can find one on sale or second hand.
I agree 100%. I have found that the quality of my lather has had as much impact on my shave as the razor or blade.

I am very very glad I got the RR400 early on. I am in restraint at the moment but seriously contemplating in getting a second one in January with a red or black handle. Just amazing brushes. And whatever I may end up with it will be a synthetic - just great brushes in my view.

Thanks for the input on the ERA vs Lupo. Two great razors right there as well.

Guido

Totally thinking about the red handle RR 400 ... And trying the Era top cap on the Lupo DC base..... 😁 The product design engineer in me always wants to tweak things... Lol not to mention some more efficient razors... 😀

Top Bottom