What's new

Rapt_up DE shaving journal - The journey begins

Sooo... Wasn't sure about this. Been a wet shaver with cartridges for years and years... about 40... most of the last 20 or so in the shower. About 12 or so years ago I added soap and brush to my shower shaves.

I started to think about the old ways of things and sustainability and time and focus during covid. And life changes made it more conducive to taking a bit more time on my mornings. So I casually mentioned to my wife I had been thinking about going to the old DE razor shaves like our fathers did.

Presto come Christmas there is a Wilkinson Sword TTO razor and a couple tucks of blades, just for me. :)

Fast forward a month and I'm getting better shaves with less irritation than ever in my life. But I'm also getting random razor nicks and weepers. The shave seems unpredictable. So I start on research and discover "all this" ...lol... And possibly its the razor, or my technique, or.... soap or..

I'm hooked now, so I started a newbie thread in the proper place, the thread got some suggestions. I have now acquired, some Henri &Victoria soap samples, a RR Lupo Aluminum and a very good condition original Gillette Tech gold plated. I'm trying things.

First discoveries.... The Proraso soap I'm using seems better than I thought, and I got it by default. The Henri&Victoria Samples seem to produce a much less slippery, "thinner" lather, even when it seems thick and creamy. And I'm not as taken with the scents as I had hoped.

Also got some samples for blades. Trying my first Nacet.

Last edited:
I have had a couple shaves with the Aluminum Lupo, first was with the original handle, the shave was a bit rough, because of the light weight and my very tentative touch. Not being sure what to expect. Came out ok, just more stubbly than I expected.

The next day I followed up with a first shave on the Tech. Much smoother, better shave, but still not as "close" as I had been getting with the Wilkinson TTo on a good day. No nicks though. :)

Second shave on the Lupo today with the heavier Tech handle. Spent more time on lather, and had a much better shave experience. Felt good, shave is smoother than last time, about the same as the shave from the Tech. But the skin feels more "exfoliated" than with the Tech. I think its the blade exposure but will watch and see. Maybe its the sharper edge on the bar. Definitely noisier shave than the Tech or the Wilkinson. Still on the second Nacet blade through these shaves. I think I'm also a bit nervous about the Lupo even though it hasn't bitten me.

The two new razors seem less likely to bite so far, so easier shave, if less close.

I have ordered a couple handles one SS, two Timeless Ti Crown handles to try, have had some slippage with the smoother handles so hope these more modern knurled ones will help with that. Also have a SLOC head, a couple brushes and menthol and PAA soap coming. Definitely like a little menthol in my lather.

Tossing up a RR GameChanger, or SS Lupo, or even a slant to add to the trials once I have a handle on the current ones.

Thank you... I started recording this with fountain pen and paper, and decided that while I love writing that way, that because this forum has the journals that I'd do it here instead. Try it this way.... :) And shipment from PAA with Chill mill, and their limited Danaid scent shave soap just arrived.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank for joining Badger and Blade and sharing your journal with us, @Rapt_up

You’ve purchased a lot of great toys and potions and it will be a treat to read your impressions of them and how your technique and methods develop over time.

I'm stoked for this adventure. 😁👍Eventually my goal will be to have one or two razors, and blades and soaps/brushes that work great and become a permanent part of my routine.

I don't mind cost if it's "worth it"... Lol

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
That’s what @JoWolf did. Methodically went down to a Fatip Grande, Feather Hi-Stainless DE blades, a Zenith boar, and Saponifico Varesino soaps.

It’s going to be awesome witnessing what ends up the best of the best for you.

Good shave this morning. My PAA Danaid and Chill mill arrived yesterday so, I put the Nacet back in the Wilkinson TTo to get just the soap experience. (This is the 14th shave on this blade (thanks Excalibur club.))

I like the smell of this Scent. I checked out the Tom Ford Ombre Leather its an homage to to get an idea if I wanted to order it. :) Its a good fit for me. Transfered a nickel sized amount of the CK6 base soap to my prewarmed stone bowl and whipped up a nice lather with my well broken in Omega Boar brush.

Lots of scent coming off the lather, and even with less creaminess than I normally have with the Proraso (lazy whipping) its still slicker on the face. My usual two pass shave.

Second pass I added some menthol to the lather... A small amount or so I thought LOL
Spine tingly!!! But still slick. Not unpleasant, just way more than I expected or needed. It buried any sense of the scent from the soap.

Shave wasn't as close as the Lupo shave yesterday, but still DFS. I really like the soap, will be putting much less menthol in from the Chill mill tomorrow. And I think I'm going to try a new blade... Astra Stainless, or Bic Chrome... Hmmmm.

I like the smell of this Scent. I checked out the Tom Ford Ombre Leather its an homage to to get an idea if I wanted to order it. :) Its a good fit for me. Transfered a nickel sized amount of the CK6 base soap to my prewarmed stone bowl and whipped up a nice lather with my well broken in Omega Boar brush.

Lots of scent coming off the lather, and even with less creaminess than I normally have with the Proraso (lazy whipping) its still slicker on the face. My usual two pass shave.

Nice post!

CK-6 does seem tailor made for warm scuttles and bowls. When I've used Atomic Pumpkin with a warm scuttle the scent explodes, filling the room with a rich, warm, fallish bay rum that's just a little goofy - it's a real good time.

I drown CK-6, relatively speaking, while lathering to keep it even moderately thin. It's a butter bomb.

Shave this morning was PAA CK-6 Danaid soap, like yesterday, added menthol from my chill mill, and put a new Bic Chrome in the Wilkinson TTO... Also decided I was going to try an against the grain pass today, something I haven't done yet with the DE razors...

So soap lathered up great, beautiful creamy spread, perfect amount of menthol, every thing is good. First pass WTG smooth sailing, less blade feedback seems to be going well. Lather up again, and tackle an ATG pass... seems good, not as smooth feeling as I was expecting while cutting, but no complaints. Few touchups I'm good. :)
lol
Then the rinse, more blood popping out in weepers all over the place than I've seen since I started shaving. No sensation of having done it, just blood. All in the awkward ATG places, or touchup spots. The heavy TTO (approx 100g) is my heaviest razor and seems to make it the hardest to judge the pressure with. That and the largely unfamiliar ATG direction is what I put at fault for this mess today. Overall its a good DFS but not my best shave to date.

Also noted that its much harder to get into the tight spots around my nose etc with this razor than the other two. Tomorrow will tell me more. :) My skin also seems drier/tighter after the shave with the PAA than with my Proraso Green

Nice post!

CK-6 does seem tailor made for warm scuttles and bowls. When I've used Atomic Pumpkin with a warm scuttle the scent explodes, filling the room with a rich, warm, fallish bay rum that's just a little goofy - it's a real good time.

I drown CK-6, relatively speaking, while lathering to keep it even moderately thin. It's a butter bomb.
Thanks! I definitely noticed it kept sucking up water and just getting more and more lather from it. :) And I use a stone bowl set in the hot water so its all warm. One of the thing s I like is the warm lather , especially with the bit of menthol. sort of a warm cool contrast thing.

Shave this morning was PAA CK-6 Danaid soap, like yesterday, added menthol from my chill mill, and put a new Bic Chrome in the Wilkinson TTO... Also decided I was going to try an against the grain pass today, something I haven't done yet with the DE razors...

So soap lathered up great, beautiful creamy spread, perfect amount of menthol, every thing is good. First pass WTG smooth sailing, less blade feedback seems to be going well. Lather up again, and tackle an ATG pass... seems good, not as smooth feeling as I was expecting while cutting, but no complaints. Few touchups I'm good. :)
lol
Then the rinse, more blood popping out in weepers all over the place than I've seen since I started shaving. No sensation of having done it, just blood. All in the awkward ATG places, or touchup spots. The heavy TTO (approx 100g) is my heaviest razor and seems to make it the hardest to judge the pressure with. That and the largely unfamiliar ATG direction is what I put at fault for this mess today. Overall its a good DFS but not my best shave to date.

Also noted that its much harder to get into the tight spots around my nose etc with this razor than the other two. Tomorrow will tell me more. :) My skin also seems drier/tighter after the shave with the PAA than with my Proraso Green

Sorry to read that :sad:

On the ATG pass I always use shallower angle than on the WTG and XTG. And the pressure is almost no existing here, using just the razor weight. It took me few shaves to overcome my habit from cartridges to use pressure on ATG.
Also, this BIC blades are known as very sharp that will not forgive mistakes. Maybe you could try XTG for few shaves until you get the right angle then move to ATG on the less sensitive areas, typically the cheeks and the whiskers. Or mix XTG and ATG depending on the sensitivity.
The direction of the hair growing is also important. You can find a lot of information about beard mapping in the forums if you want to get to such details.

Quick recovery and smooth next shave.
Stoyan

Thanks! Its a learning process and I'm not afraid of some blood. lol. As my skin has settled down its feeling like the shave might be closer than I thought, still not BBS but closer.

Thanks for the confirmation, I had pretty much figured it was a combination of not controlling pressure and getting the angle wrong at times with the ATG. My usual shave is WTG, then XTG and done. Still having fun. :D

Thinking about aftershave balm and or face moisturizer. I see a lot of folks use Nivea aftershave balm, I'm currently using Complex15 face cream as a moisturizer, and no aftershave balm.

I'm mostly using Nivea Sensitive balm or sometimes Proraso Green after-shave balm. Proraso White (for sensitive skin) is also popular.
For Nivea I like it is almost unscented and doesn't mix with the smell of any AS I use.

Good shave today, the Tech with the Bic Chrome, Danaid CK-6 with even more water than yesterday. Thick marshmallow fluff consistency. Shave is close, maybe DFS, but I find I still have a bit more stubbly feeling after shaving with the Tech.

One or two very small pinpricks of blood. cleared up with the rinse. Skin is feeling a bit chapped even with the moisturizer I'm using. Not sure if thats what is giving me some of the irritation, or its the sharper blade. Thats the next step

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community. Your Timeless Ti Crown handle should show up this week. I have several of them. For me, they are the perfect weight... not too heavy and not too light. I've been reading all your posts and look forward to your comments on your new Ti Crown handle when you get a chance to use it.

Thanks! I've been encountering your posts in all the areas I seem interested in. So been reading a lot of yours too!.

The moment I saw a pic of the Timeless Ti Crown I thought they were the most attractive handles I'd ever seen. And bonus in Ti, not too expensive, plus a balance in weight. Will add some substance to light razors and lighten up heavy razors. Seems a sweet spot to me.

Been thinking I'm after a small select razor collection (1-3?) that reduce effort and give clean DFS to BBS shaves with minimal effort (2 passes?) without leaving me feeling skinned. If such a thing is possible. The descriptions of the efficiency and lack of aggressiveness of the Athena are fascinating to me. As is the Overlander, and Blackland ERA.

Top Bottom