What's new

Rapt_up DE shaving journal - The journey begins

Holding off on a shave today. Just seeing if the moisturizer I am using is what is causing my skin to feel a bit irritated in the morning. I'm not getting a super close shave, I've had closer than the last couple with the DE razors since I started, yet my skin feels more and more irritated in the morning after my routine. So skipping the shave and just moisturizer to see if its the culprit. So far signs say maybe. Feeling warm and a bit raw after moisturizer today.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Hoping you feel better soon, @Rapt_up

Wondering if the tiny amount of lanolin in your moisturizer is the culprit. Could also be the caprylic acid or dimethicone, but I wouldn’t immediately think so.

Thanks for the thoughts, and info, will try eliminating everything next.

Today I had a better shave, reduced the variables, back to my Proraso green which I have been using for years. Used the Nacet blade (now with 15 shaves on it) in the RR Lupo Al with the RR Vintage thin SS handle. Much nicer handling than the all aluminum handle.
Clean shave, no nicks or weepers, no sting with Alum, and closer than the last couple shaves I had. Could have probably been a bit more aggressive, but just taking it easy.

But...Skin is still inflamed even now, hours later. I feel like I've been out in the wind all day. IN fact I think the inflammation is worse than immediately after the shave. Hence why I'm looking at the stuff I'm putting on my skin rather than the shave itself.

Started my morning off with an hour out in the cold blowing snow, clearing 12" of snow off the cars and driveway. Decided I was going to do something different today. More along the lines of the way I have been wet shaving for years in the shower with cartridges which rarely caused such skin issues. Stick with my Proraso, no facecloth scrub etc.

Right in from outside, face cold and windburned, good rinse with warm water and good lather with Proraso green, combination of bowl and face lather, use A Nacet blade with 5 shaves on it in the Lupo Al with the RR Vintage thin SS handle. Just do the way I always did with strokes as needed here and there without much care for WTG/XTG/ATG. Then rinse off in the shower, no facecloth, no potions or moisturizers.

I should point out that over years I have learned my body doesn't much like soaps or scented things, and moisturizers are troublesome. Dove soap that my wife uses is terrible for me. I tend to scrub with a brush and hot water in the shower with nary a soap product in sight.

So maybe thats more what my skin needs.

I'm happy to report a DFS- shave, best yet with the Lupo and very little skin irritation. no sense of burning like I have been getting. Significant given that I was out in the wind and snow for an hour. Feeling like I'm heading back to shaving in the shower now I have better confidence in my DE shaving skills and razor(s).

I added a SLOC head from RR to an order recently since it was so inexpensive. Today I repeated the shave first, shower after, less worry about directions and just shave by feel. I used the RR SLOC head with the Nacet blade from yesterday (today is shave 7 for it), my regular Proraso green soap and.... Had a really smooth shave, much smoother feel on the skin, bit still feedback from whiskers on blade. Slippery head on skin feel. Much better than the aluminum Lupo in terms of smoothness on the skin. Shave was closer than yesterday (DFS ish) with one little weeper on my upper lip where I have a raised scar. Overall a more pleasant shave than I have had in days. Skin feels better, face feels better. Then rinse off when I shower. No facecloth. My skin is still tight/dry from winter air, but not the inflamed burning sensation I was getting. And a comfortable shave, with reasonable results.

Secondary thoughts. I'm not sure about the gospel of aggression scale from RR (I know its largely subjective) I feel the SLOC (on the RR Vintage SS handle ) is less aggressive than the WIllkinson Sword TTO I have from the local drug store, despite RR rating being that the WIlkinson is mild. I suspect the relativeness of aggression is a combination of a lot of factors dependent on the user. Angle, pressure, skin tautness, skin smoothness (I have a scar on my jawline that at one point I skinned every day.), etc...

I'm really pleased with my shave today, still thinking seriously about shower shaving again. (no mirror, just by feel). Can't wait for the Ti Crown handles to show, as well as the GC .68 Jaws head I have coming from a fellow Canadian who was really good to me on the BST. Maybe I've been being too cautious with mild heads and too many passes. and I definitely think I'm going to have to be really careful with any creams etc I put on my skin. Also going to try one of the synthetic brushes, wondering if I'm overdoing the face lather/brush with the Boar bristle Omega.

So today I went a step further, SLOC with the Nacet with 15 shaves on it. Light coat of vaseline, then shower, and shave mostly blind by feel at the sink with Proraso green. Strokes in all sorts of directions, including ATG along the jawline. Not the smoothest shave feeling wise, could feel the whiskers pulling a bit (I ascribe this to the older blade), but closeness is nearly DFS and skin irritation is lowest yet, no dryness or tightness either so far. No blood in sight. Will touch back later today if I notice anything. Very happy. Seems maybe better lubrication or more "efficient" razors are the right path.

Later update, face skin is still happy, the side of my neck that have always been subject to razor burn are the least irritated they ever been after a shave and they and my jawline are the closest shave I've had on them in years. Definitely heading in the right direction. Can't wait for the RR GC 68 Jaws to try next, due Monday. :) And my Ti Crown handles should be arriving Monday as well. :D

This morning, started with light vaseline coat, then shower, then I used PAA's Danaid Ck-6 soap, good lather. Used the SLOC, with the Nacet blade, this is shave 8 with that blade. Just did my thing, DFS, even along my jaw and neck where i usually have stubble and irritation. Next to no irritation and the closest shave in those areas I ever recall. Skin feels good, not dry, or irritated.

I think a sharper blade is in order tomorrow.

Going to look at making my own moisturizer/pre-shave and maybe post shave cream with vaseline, shea butter and a simple emulsifier like lecithin, or glycerine and water. Maybe some zinc oxide.

Welcome to B&B and you are off to a great start! Great razors, handles and soaps!

Been thinking I'm after a small select razor collection (1-3?)
Yeah right…if you are a member of BV &B and you want a small collection you’d better have great discipline and a strong will!! 😁

Enjoy!

Guido

Welcome to B&B and you are off to a great start! Great razors, handles and soaps!

Yeah right…if you are a member of BV &B and you want a small collection you’d better have great discipline and a strong will!! 😁

Enjoy!

Guido
LOL Thanks! I totally know how this works... Been through it with fountain pens, and knives too.

Loving the adventure so far.

Repeated yesterdays' shave RR SLOC with a new Nacet blade. Smoother shave than yesterday by feel, got overconfident and managed a couple weepers on my goatee area, and the scar under my chin which is often problematic. The result of too much pressure in a couple spots. Nothing serious and my skin is still happy on the whole. No bad for a DFS+ plus shave in 2 passes.

RR GC 68 Jaws came today. As well as My Timeless Ti Crown handle.

The RR stainless HD handle has some seriouslt aggressive knurling, the Ti Crown looks aggressive, but is more moderate without being less grippy.

The shave in the morning will be Proraso with the 68 Jaws and Ti Crown handle. Also got some stuff made a small trial amount of moisturizer.

So far I'm pleased with my "moisturizer" put it on last night, didn't apply anything preshave but water. Shaved with RR GC 68 jaws and the Nacet blade with 7 shaves on it. Proraso lather, and off we went. Love the feel of the Titanium handle just the right balance I think, shave went well one and half passes, ... Felt good, a bit of blade feel, no real rubbing or irritating feel on the head, only a weeper on my scar under my jawline... A few minutes later I realized it just wasn't that close. I like the way the razor feels but I think it needs a sharper blade. Tomorrow I'm going to try the Bic I have with a couple shaves on it.

More thoughts today... As a beginner DE shaver I was concerned about aggressive razors and open comb razors and how they are supposed to be more aggressive. To me my experience is that I don't see that they are inherently more aggressive. Instead I find them more comfortable to shave with, based on my limited experience as they seem to slide more easily over the skin with less drag. And for me the drag seems to be more of the source of irritation for me when shaving. I'm now thinking I want to try a RR BBS OC head to see if a milder open comb is also a better shave.

RR GC 68 Jaws with Bic blade, today was its third shave. Proraso Red soap, shower before. Much smoother shave first pass was nice and smooth feeling, nice cutting action, no nicks or weepers, but was feeling slightly disappointed that there seemed to be a lot of blade/whisker feedback as the first pass was happening.

Lathered up for pass 2, and got a bit carried away/cocky. Had a nick on the underside of my chin, knew immediately that I set the blade down the angle was wrong and started, and sure enough I cut myself. My usual scar under my jaw and a couple weepers one on the edge of the jaw, and one under my ear/behind my jaw where I was trying to get "closer" and didn't bother to wet/lather the spot for a touch up. All in all my fault, less forgiving a set up and a DFS shave, with some spots (cheeks, back of jaw) approaching BBS, others pretty good, but a bit rough from not keeping things lubricated.

The SLOC is much more forgiving of not fully lathering spots before going over, and keeps things sliding. Even still, my skin is less irritated today in most areas, except where I overdid the passes/pressure. Thinking I may need to trust the razor and the process and the BBS will come without the pressure when I get the angle right etc. Also doing the Alum block all over noticeably dries my skin, will not be doing that going forward.

Wondering about how to get closer to BBS with fewer passes. I'm beginning to think that keeping passes to a minimum (one?), and the keeping the lather good are the answer to a close, smooth shave for us daily shavers. Even if the razor requires more attention during that one pass.

I also have noticed that the sharper blades seem to produce sharper stubble. Like the whiskers are cut so clean they have a tapered tip that comes to a point more than with a duller blade which I don't think does that so much.

Guys (and gals? lol), I also wanted to say that folks are welcome to comment, or share their thoughts and insights. I won't offended if other post here too.

Top Bottom