What's new

Rapira Swedish Supersteel: Initial Thoughts

D0F3B09A-7E30-46C9-BF0C-9F545C829FCD.jpeg
As I live within commuting distance to Mecca, aka Pasteur Pharmacy, I often stop in there to get a tuck or two of blades to sample. My latest is the Russian made Rapira Swedish Supersteel. I've had two shaves in my 1959 Gillette Flare Tip, and it's a great balade.

I'll compare this to a PolSilver, which was my prior blade (and I believe I used it for more than 7 shaves, I lose track). The initial shave was slightly less smooth as a PolSilver, but it seems to be equally as sharp. My second shave, which was this morning, with a great lather of Tabac with Proraso Pre-Shave, was incredibly smooth and sharp enough. Three passes, and barely any sting from the post-shave alum.

Let's see how many shaves these last, but so far so good. I'm loving most of the Russian blades

Rapira Super Steels are nice blades. Not the sharpest for my beard, but I never get irritation from them. Very dependable and smooth.Glad you like them!

I agree, they do an excellent job for me, 5+ shaves easily. I look forward to your continuing impressions.

Another positive vote!! I rate them just below some of my very favorite Russians (GSB, Nacet, Astras, Wizamet SI), but those are the best in the business for me! :a14::a14:

I like them - and the others made in the Mostochlegmash factory in Moscow (Ladas, Rapira, Voskhod.) I find them all a small step below their comrades made in St. Petersburg, though (Gillette, Perma-sharp, Polsilver.)

I like them - and the others made in the Mostochlegmash factory in Moscow (Ladas, Rapira, Voskhod.) I find them all a small step below their comrades made in St. Petersburg, though (Gillette, Perma-sharp, Polsilver.)

I agree. I liked the Rapira Chromes. They were really good.

These are my favorite blades when use aggresive razors, like Merkur Futur and R41. Very smooth indeed.

Tried a blade from sampler in Parker Variant razor with MWF soap. They just turned out meh for me. I have sensitive skin with tough beard and I struggled with that blade. By second shave the blade was pretty much dead for me.
Seeing so many gents enjoying their Rapiras I wonder if I got a dud in sampler since Voskhods play nice for at least 2 shaves.

Top Bottom