What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux

Just added these to my stash of Persona blues and Feathers I find a smooth, comfortable shave I only use blades for three shaves. 8.99 for 100 was a good deal.

I’ve only got one shave in the books with the RPL but found the blade to very smooth, not at all toothy, and I concur with the comments about buffing. Not sure why, but these seemed deceptively sharp during buffing and make quick work on some slight raised blemishes. Almost as if the buffing served to strop the edge and increased the sharpness.
Looking forward to two more shaves as I am currently comparing these to Gillette platinums, 7O’clock yellow, and Astra SPs.

This is my second week and second blade. Not as sharp or as durable as the Personna Red, but smoother. For someone seeking a low irritation blade, this might be the one.

This is my second week and second blade. Not as sharp or as durable as the Personna Red, but smoother. For someone seeking a low irritation blade, this might be the one.
i have shave extensively with all those. i found the personna blue (usa) milder and longer lasting

I did shave number two and felt as though the blade edge was deteriorating shortly into my 3rd pass today. I’ll have to see how the rest work. Very comfortable when sharp, but it looks like it may end being a 2 shave blade for me.

I have gotten a 100 pack of RPLs, Voskhods, Supermax Blue Diamond, Astra SP, and Feathers. The Voskhod and SBDs are a little sharper, the RPLs are darned smooth, and the Astra SP mildest. All of those four will give me 6 or 7 good shaves. I rotate among the first three and tend to give a tuck of Astra SPs to my sons when they run out of their own blades.

The Feathers are sharpest, but fade rapidly for me. Pricy per blade, pricier per shave.

So Rapira Platinum Lux are in my top 3.

Some of the blades I’ve tried, but didn’t go beyond a tuck or two: Bic Chrome Platinum, Polsilver, Personna Red, Derby (a couple varieties), Bolzano, Merkur, Timor, Dorco...

Today was day 7 of week three.
Today’s shave was a bit tight but still produced a good shave.
Not quite DFS, but still good.
Going to try the Lab Blues next month.

I picked up two tuck of Rapira Platinum Lux blades recently and have been having good luck with them.
I've used the blades in three so far, and have had experienced good shaves with all three - Rockwell 6C, RR GC 0.68, and Slim Adjustable. My best experience has been with the Rockwell on R3. I was able to achieve a BBS tonight with 2.5 passes (2 passes and a pretty decent touch-up pass). They are exceedingly smooth for me. I'm not sure of the vintage of the blades, since the logo on the blades is inked, but they're good by me. My other favorite current blades are Astra SP's and GSB's.

It will take me some time to determine how the Platinum Lux compares to other blades. For a few years, my favorites have been the Personna Comfort Coated and Polsilver Super Iridium blades. Lately, the former seems to be lacking in longevity, and the latter isn't being produced any longer, so I've started experimenting again. I will say, so far, I think I prefer the Platinum Lux to the Swedish Supersteel both from Rapira. The Platinum Lux seemed to be a nice combo of sharp and smooth.

I will say, so far, I think I prefer the Platinum Lux to the Swedish Supersteel both from Rapira. The Platinum Lux seemed to be a nice combo of sharp and smooth.

+1 This matches my experience with the tuck of Rapira Swedish Supersteel I just tried recently. Just not as smooth as the Platinum Lux.

Top Bottom