What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Please give me feedback on this blade.... actual use vs. perception.

I found them very smooth. Similar in smoothness to Gillette Green, Yellow and Black. Lord Platinum is a comparable blade to them and I'm not sure I could tell them apart in a blind test.

Of the blades I listed above, all are very close in feel and smoothness, but the Yellow cuts the best for me with the Black right behind it. The Rapira, Gillette Green and Lord Platinum are all very similar in feel and performance for me.

Rapira Platinum Lux is a good mid-sharp blade. I would have to say I prefer the Lord Silver Star, Super Chrome or Platinum Class to the RPL because they cost about the same and last longer.

Same here. The Plat Lux we're a big no bueno for me. Now, the Swedish Super Steel? A different story. I really enjoyed those from my sampler a while back, at least for 2 shaves (I used the first of each sampler blade only twice just to get initial impressions). Eventually I re-visit the remaining blades in each tuck that I enjoyed initially. The Plat Lux will not be included in that. I have sent those on to a buddy of mine for him to try.

I have very tough whiskers and sensitive skin, and while the Platinum Lux are acceptable, I find the Sweedish Supersteel much smoother. They both last 2-3 shaves, and almost never attempt more than that with any blade.

I have very tough whiskers and sensitive skin, and while the Platinum Lux are acceptable, I find the Sweedish Supersteel much smoother. They both last 2-3 shaves, and almost never attempt more than that with any blade.

I was under the impression the Swedish Supersteels were not as sharp as the Lux. Will have to add a tuck to a future order to try!

The Sweedish Supersteels may be a bit less sharp, but just seem smoother and more comfortable to me, and I generally prefer sharper blades. Notably, I also find the Voskhod, to a lesser extent Ladas, to be very smooth, but not sharp enough for my beard.

I feel the same way about Astras. I don't particularly like Super Platinums, but enjoy the Super Stainless.

With my tough whiskers but sensitive skin, it's all about the balance of sharp and smooth.

I can't say the Sweedish Supersteels will necessarily work for you, but they're sufficiently inexpensive and readily available to be worth a try.

Top Bottom