What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux vs. Rapriare Super Stainless vs. Voskhod?

I am looking for opinions from those who have experience with all three of these blades. I have a stash of Voskhods and find them a very good overall sharp and smooth blade. Due to the very good deals out there now I am considering a 100 blade purchase of one of the Rapira options. Before investing my hard-earned five bucks I wanted to see what the Rapira experts may have to say. Any preferences among the 3 blades and how do either Rapira match up against Voskhods?

Thanks!

The stainless (pink package) felt a bit sharper but somehow not as smooth as the Voskhod. My favorites Rapiras are the Platinum Lux with the Swedish steel ones not far behind. Both are sharper than the Voskhods and to me are very smooth.

For the price I didn't bother with samplers. I have a pretty large collection of Rapiras now :)

Hardly a Rapira expert, but have used them all, with one exception, and long ago arrived at my favorites (in order).

1. Rapira Platinum Lux: A sharp, smooth blade that holds up from shave to shave. For me this is an exceptional blade and one of my favorite blades.

2. Voskhod: Marginally not as sharp as the Platinum Lux, but exceptionally smooth. If the Platinum Lux is an exceptional blade, the Voskhod is a good, yeoman blade.

3 Rapira Swedish Supersteel: Sometimes a bit rough on my face, sometimes it's good. As as I recall it's not as enjoyable for me as the Platinum Lux or Voskhods.

4. Rapira Super Stainless: Another good, yeoman blade, not quite as sharp as the Platinum Lux and not quite as smoother either. Yet this blade gets the job done. Bonus points for the cool pink and blue box.

5. Rapira Super Stainless Chrome: This blade seems to be newer on the US shave scene. I haven't used this blade yet, so can offer no opinion about it.

6. Ladas: Rough, tugged - not a good blade.

I thought they were all very similar as are the Stainless and the Ladas. Some claim that all are the same blade with different labels but I'm not sure. Any ones. You choice will be good.

I use all 3 , and I like all 3, I also like and use Swedish Supersteel
I also liked the Ladas blade I was given as a freebie when I bought my Swedes, Platinum Lux and Voskhods from a Russian eBay seller, but I'm trying to use up some of my other blades before I pull the trigger on some Ladas
I average 3 good shaves from any of the above, including the Ladas, all have their individual characteristics, and they all do the job well
Platinum Lux, Swedish & Voskhods averaged out at €6/100 after combined shipping discount when I bought 100 of each from an eBay seller in Russia, he also sells Ladas at the same price
Rapira Stainless on the other hand do the job as well as any of the above BUT I can get them for €5/100 from a Turkish seller on eBay with FREE shipping to Spain, so I only need to buy 100, he's also got some Bic Chrome Platinum for less than €11/100 with free shipping too!!

My brand of choice would be the Rapira Stainless because they're only €5/100, and I don't need to buy multiple packs to get a discount
That's why they're my go to blades - they just deliver so many bangs for my buck !!

I find the Rapira platinum lux, Swedish SuperSteel, and super stainless slightly better than the Vokshod. The super stainless chrome is about equal to Vokshod in my opinion. Ladas is best for me.

I really don't think there is anything as smooth as a Voskhod (just my opinion), but it isn't as sharp as others. I like the Platinum Lux but just didn't do it for me in the smooth department. I am nearing the end of my 100 pack of Voskhod so I tried the Super Stainless on a whim and I really like it. I only tried one blade so I can't give you a detailed review of it, but from what I remember it was sharp and fairly smooth...not Voskhod smooth, but smooth enough. So I decided to purchase a 100 pack of the Super Stainless. After all, I have literally thrown away five bucks before...why not try it out. Worse comes to worse, I have blades to through in PIF and Pass-Around Boxes.

Just bought 100 Plat Lux after an amazing experience with a sampler of 5. ($8 shipped for 100 ?!?! Wow)
Loved Plat lux best of those you mentioned. Swedish good but a little rough for me. Voshkod smooth, not as sharp, but a good/great blade anyway (bought 100 a while ago and not sorry).
Ladas and Sputniks ate my face- really rough.
Mike

I've used all three:
  • Voskhod - Smooth and sharp but only lasted 3 shaves
  • Rapira Platinum Lux - Good sharpness, no irritation after 5 shaves
  • Rapira Sweedish Supersteel - Not too sharp, fairly smooth

The Sweedish Supersteel was OK, but I like the Lux better. The Voskhod are smoother but don't last for me. I bought 100 Lux to go with 100 Nacet and 100 GSBs ... and however many Astra SPs I have.

Thanks for the input! I hope you don't mind me adding a question without starting a new thread...

I'm a fan of Russian blades in general. I know that blade comparisons are completely IMO/YMMV but has anyone do some comparisons between the Rapira line with Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, or other St. Petersburg blades?

Thanks for the input! I hope you don't mind me adding a question without starting a new thread...

I'm a fan of Russian blades in general. I know that blade comparisons are completely IMO/YMMV but has anyone do some comparisons between the Rapira line with Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, or other St. Petersburg blades?
I've tried many of those. I would say that the best Gillettes tend to be sharper and the Rapiras tend to be smoother. I think the Astra SP fits better in the Gillette camp.

If you like the Astra SP I think you will like the Nacet and GSB.

Here are some micro reviews of the Gillettes I've tried, basically notes to myself as I tried them:
  • Gillette 7O'Clock Green - Dull, just a bad shave
  • Gillette Sharp Edge - Sharp and smooth, lasted 2.5 shaves.
  • Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus - pretty sharp and pretty smooth, lasted 4 or 5 shaves
  • Gillette 7O'Clock Super Stainless - very sharp and very smooth, excellent first shave, stayed sharp and smooth, but eventually seemed to cause neck irritation
  • Gillette 7O'Clock Super Platinum - didn't seem quite a sharp on the first shave and also seemed to cause a bit of neck irritation
  • Nacet - Very smooth and sharp, excellent after five shaves. Seemed the best blade to this point.
  • GSB - Very smooth and sharp, excellent.

To me, the Astra SP is just below the GSB, with similar qualities, just a notch down in sharpness and smoothness.

I've tried many of those. I would say that the best Gillettes tend to be sharper and the Rapiras tend to be smoother. I think the Astra SP fits better in the Gillette camp.

If you like the Astra SP I think you will like the Nacet and GSB.

Here are some micro reviews of the Gillettes I've tried, basically notes to myself as I tried them:
  • Gillette 7O'Clock Green - Dull, just a bad shave
  • Gillette Sharp Edge - Sharp and smooth, lasted 2.5 shaves.
  • Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus - pretty sharp and pretty smooth, lasted 4 or 5 shaves
  • Gillette 7O'Clock Super Stainless - very sharp and very smooth, excellent first shave, stayed sharp and smooth, but eventually seemed to cause neck irritation
  • Gillette 7O'Clock Super Platinum - didn't seem quite a sharp on the first shave and also seemed to cause a bit of neck irritation
  • Nacet - Very smooth and sharp, excellent after five shaves. Seemed the best blade to this point.
  • GSB - Very smooth and sharp, excellent.

To me, the Astra SP is just below the GSB, with similar qualities, just a notch down in sharpness and smoothness.

So the 7 O'Clock Green are the Indian Greens?

I have used Rapira platinum lux, Ladas and Sputnik blades and choose to use the platinum lux blades the most. The other Rapira blades are just as good in terms of sharpness and smoothness but with my beard type the platinum lux seem to last longer. My favorite Russian blade is (to the best of my knowledge) no longer made but are obtainable on eBay. They are the Baltica blades with the. Battleship on the wrapper. The old black Sputniks were also very good but also not made any more. The Soviet blades are different than their modern day counterparts. Give 'em a try if you want something different.

Top Bottom