What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux vs. Astra SP?

Platinum Lux beats Astra Sp in smoothness and sharpness and beats
Them by a sizable margin. And that's
My experience after using both blades
In numerous razors over the years.

I totally agree with Weekly.

I personally think Rapira Platinum Lux compares closer to the Astra SS. Astra SP doesn't seem as sharp or as smooth as the RPL or Astra SS to me. Also both these blades are great out of the wrapper.

Astra SP was my favorite blade when I 1st started. I also still have plenty of Astra SP blades left, which is still in my top 5/tier of blades. However the Astra SS and RPL blades are my top 2 blades at the moment.

Last edited:
Many fellow shavers seem to love Rapiras blades and nearly everybody worship Astras SP like these have fallen from the sky in a choir of angelical trumpets. I personally dislike the Platinum Lux and find the Astra SP just an average performer. It does everything fair but it doesn't excel in sharpness, smoothness or longevity. I don't dislike it but I don't love it either.
But if curiosity itches my best advice is to get a couple of each or a tuck and try them before to commit to a 100-pack.

What do you guys think of these Rapira Stainless blades? Can you compare them to blades like Polsilver, Nacet, BIC Chrome Platinum etc.

5-cuchillas-doble-hoja-rapira-classic.jpg

What do you guys think of these Rapira Stainless blades? Can you compare them to blades like Polsilver, Nacet, BIC Chrome Platinum etc.

View attachment 1187121

I used them and I personally wouldn't compare them with any of the mentioned blades but, as blades are the most subjective part of our hobby, others will. I don't get well with any blade from the Moscow plant, maybe Voskhod are a tad better than the rest.

View attachment 1187121

I think you will find the Rapira Super Stainess to be similar to the Astra SP and the Rapira Platinum Lux to be more similar to the Astra SS.

Personally, I do not like Astra SP blades as they are not sharp enough for my beard, so I would not use Rapira SS either. Astra SS and Rapira PL are both good blades and are available at a good price.

I like Astra SS and Rapira PL slightly better than Polsilvers, although I know some would disagree. I do not think Polsilvers are worth the inflated pricing. The advantage of Polsilvers is that the iridium coating is much harder than Platinum, so it should extend blade life.

None of these blades are going to compete with Nacet and BIC Chrome Platinum for sharpness. While Feather blades are sharper, they deteriorate to quickly for my liking. The other blades that I find to be nearly as good as Nacet and BIC are Permasharp Super from PPI, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black from India, and Personna Platinum Reds from Israel.

I think you will find the Rapira Super Stainess to be similar to the Astra SP and the Rapira Platinum Lux to be more similar to the Astra SS.

Personally, I do not like Astra SP blades as they are not sharp enough for my beard, so I would not use Rapira SS either. Astra SS and Rapira PL are both good blades and are available at a good price.

I like Astra SS and Rapira PL slightly better than Polsilvers, although I know some would disagree. I do not think Polsilvers are worth the inflated pricing. The advantage of Polsilvers is that the iridium coating is much harder than Platinum, so it should extend blade life.

None of these blades are going to compete with Nacet and BIC Chrome Platinum for sharpness. While Feather blades are sharper, they deteriorate to quickly for my liking. The other blades that I find to be nearly as good as Nacet and BIC are Permasharp Super from PPI, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black from India, and Personna Platinum Reds from Israel.

Astra SP are not my favorites as well. I'd say they are decent and I can get good shaves, but they are just not sharp enough and they also don't last very long. I haven't tried the Astra SS, but most people agree that they are a bit sharper. I'm stacked with Polsilvers, but I have to admit that I find Nacet and BIC CP blades a bit sharpener and overall better in my favorite razors. I still like Polsilvers, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone giving the current prices.

I have a pack of Perma Sharp and German Personna that I have to try at some point, but I have too many opened blades that I have from my last tests and I want to get rid of them first. At this point i'm mostly experimenting and trying new blades out of curiosity. The only blades i'm going to stock with are Nacet and BIC CP, unless I find something better AND cheaper.

Medivh. when you get to the German Personna blades could you post your impressions. Especially if you can compare them to the personna Israeli Reds that they are replacing. I like the reds, but since they are discontinued the price has gone through the roof

Thanks

The best way to find out which is best (Rapira Platinum Lux vs Astra SP) is to order some of each blade from Tryablade.com. When you order from tryablade.com, it's best to order a tuck of blades (quantity of 5) to rule out getting a dud. Plus, it allows you to shave with the same brand of blade over a period of time to see how it works for you.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk
No ****!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I totally agree with Weekly.

I personally think Rapira Platinum Lux compares closer to the Astra SS. Astra SP doesn't seem as sharp or as smooth as the RPL or Astra SS to me. Also both these blades are great out of the wrapper.

Astra SP was my favorite blade when I 1st started. I also still have plenty of Astra SP blades left, which is still in my top 5/tier of blades. However the Astra SS and RPL blades are my top 2 blades at the moment.
I agree that the Astra SS and the RPL compare closely. They almost feel like the same blade for the first couple of shaves.

Medivh. when you get to the German Personna blades could you post your impressions. Especially if you can compare them to the personna Israeli Reds that they are replacing. I like the reds, but since they are discontinued the price has gone through the roof

Thanks

I have not tried but a few of the German Personnas, but I find them to be nearly identical to the Israeli Reds. I like the German Personnas better than Israeli Crystals.

just tried the Rapira Platinum Lux, unfortunately it didn't work for me, way too tuggy and doesn't provide a close shave, as for Astra SP, it shaves amazing for the first 2 times, then drastically drops and becomes almost unshavable with
Exactly the same experience here! Used on Merkur 34C, too many passes and buffs, but still far from BBS. The blades are definitely smoother than the Astras, but can’t accomplish what I achieve in two passes with the Astras. Of course it depends also on the razor you use, and how tough your whiskers are. Planing to try next shave on the Game Changer.68 OC to see how it will perform on more aggressive razor.

The best way to find out which is best (Rapira Platinum Lux vs Astra SP) is to order some of each blade from Tryablade.com. When you order from tryablade.com, it's best to order a tuck of blades (quantity of 5) to rule out getting a dud. Plus, it allows you to shave with the same brand of blade over a period of time to see how it works for you.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info on tryablade.com Had no idea that place even existed. Just put in a order!!

Rapira Platinum Lux would be comparable to Astra Superior Stainless in Sharpness and Comparable to Astra Superior Platinum in longevity.

The Rapira Platinum Lux is both sharper, and LOT smoother on my stiff/gray growth, especially in my Rex or Timeless 95 OC. The Rex is very blade sensitive, and using an Astra is just asking to experience blade scrape, and chance of weepers, the RPL on the other hand is super smooth, the Timeless mirrors that experience, but not quite as badly.

The other blade that works really well in those razors is the Gillette Nacet, which feels like a sharper RPL to me.

Top Bottom