What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux vs. Astra SP?

sorry for the redundant questions guys, i was just curious on your opinion on how does Rapira Planum Lux compare to Astra SP, in terms of Sharpness, smoothness and overall shave quality

thanks!

Hello @Komm and welcome to B&B!

Unfortunately blades are a very subjective topic and our opinions won’t hold much value predicated on differences in our skin and facial hair. The best approach will be to try both for yourself! For what it’s worth, I find both of them to be nice Blades. For my face, each are a good combination of smooth and sharp. Good luck!

The best way to find out which is best (Rapira Platinum Lux vs Astra SP) is to order some of each blade from Tryablade.com. When you order from tryablade.com, it's best to order a tuck of blades (quantity of 5) to rule out getting a dud. Plus, it allows you to shave with the same brand of blade over a period of time to see how it works for you.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Blades are a very subjective part of the shave. Good advice above. My personal opinion, for me and my beard, is that the Astra's are generally a bit less sharp and about as smooth in most razors. Not all. I like both blades a lot, I bought several tucks of each recently. I liken the RPLs to being a "sharper voskhod". I find them as smooth as the voskhods, but sharper. Ymmv and all that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

As already suggested, try them both out first. On my personal ranking of blades, the Rapira Platinum Lux is #2 overall & the Astra SP is #9.
Both are great blades and can be had at great prices. Check the bay for current prices.
For me, the Rapira seems to give a closer shave longer. Where the Astra fades about the 5th shave & had to be tossed after 6th or 7th, I can get 7 or 8 with the Rapira before I need to change it. It is a YMMV thing.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

As already suggested, try them both out first. On my personal ranking of blades, the Rapira Platinum Lux is #2 overall & the Astra SP is #9.
Both are great blades and can be had at great prices. Check the bay for current prices.
For me, the Rapira seems to give a closer shave longer. Where the Astra fades about the 5th shave & had to be tossed after 6th or 7th, I can get 7 or 8 with the Rapira before I need to change it. It is a YMMV thing.

Interesting, Rapira Platinum Lux it is then! thanks :)

just tried the Rapira Platinum Lux, unfortunately it didn't work for me, way too tuggy and doesn't provide a close shave, as for Astra SP, it shaves amazing for the first 2 times, then drastically drops and becomes almost unshavable with

Interesting. I get 5 to 6 comfortable shaves from the Astra's. 100 will give me almost 2 years worth of comfortable shaves at a very cheap price.

My opinion is the Astra is a superior blade. The Lux is a good blade, but it can't run with Astra. The Astra is much sharper and just as smooth. I use both.

As others state above: you really need to try both!! Totally YMMV when it comes to blades!

My preference is the Astra SP, but your face and beard are different.
To piggy back off Big J, blades to react differently from razor to razor too. The good thing I've found is that both of these blades are consistent in my Future Clone, Slim, Krona, and the Maggard 3 piece. The difference for me isn't too much, so I use them both. Sometimes, it just me thinking, "I haven't used an Astra in awhile." and go with it.

For what it is worth. On my old gray hair the Platinum lux is wicked on the first shave then settles down and felt like an Astra only a little sharper. The Astra is much smoother from the first shave on. Astra is much better in quality control as I have had more than one bad PL. I get a BBS with each doing three passes. I can't say much about longevity since I do 4 shaves and bin. Neither are as satisfying as shaving with a Personna red.

Also, I prefer the Astra Stainless to either the Astra Platinum or the platinum lux and consider it equal to the reds in comfort and sharpness.

I don’t use the SP Astras but I find the Rapira PLs to be decent blades. They start off pretty sharp but after 5 shaves performance drops a lot. I pushed one to 8 once. The Astra SS outlast the Platinum Luxs by far for me. I can get 10 to 15 shaves from them.

Astra SP blades are a favorite of many shavers. Although I can use them, they are not sharp enough to give me a great shave. Thus, I prefer the Rapira PL. However, I will put in a plug for the Astra Superior Stainless blades which I find to both sharper and smoother than the Astra SP blades and very similar in performance to the Rapira PL, even though the two are made by different companies in Russia.

The Astra SP and SS blades are about the same price, so I recommend you try the Astra SS blades as well before purchasing a bulk pack.

I prefer Astra SP. Rapira Platinum Lux might not have worked on my razors, but they didn't seem as sharp as the Astra SP to me. It's been a while, though.

Platinum Lux beats Astra Sp in smoothness and sharpness and beats
Them by a sizable margin. And that's
My experience after using both blades
In numerous razors over the years.

Top Bottom