What's new

Rapira & Gillette

Good day gentlemen, I'm a regular user of the Gillette yellow sharp edge, it's my favorite blade. Recently I've noticed that the rapira line are going for quite cheap. My question is which one of the rapiras are most like the Gillette yellows? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about the platinum lux...any one tried them? How are they compared to the yellows?

I've heard good things about the platinum lux...any one tried them? How are they compared to the yellows?

If I had to compare, I'd say the Rapira PL is not as sharp although marginally smoother. The Swedish Super Steel feels more like the Yellow to me -- sharp but a tad rough. I think the 7 O'Clock Blues are the supercharged version of the Rapiras -- both sharper and smoother. All the Gillettes tend to last longer I think.

Rapira Platinum Lux < Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge

Rapira Platinum Lux = Good/Very Good
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge = Superb

Of course, YMMV

Rapira Platinum Lux < Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge

Rapira Platinum Lux = Good/Very Good
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge = Superb

Of course, YMMV
Yeah I really do love the Sharp Edge, so far nothing has given me a shave as good as those. There's also a lot of members here who swear the voskhods are great, but I guess nothing really will come close to the yellows.

The Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge are really a superb blade that seemed to be overwhelmed by the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinums, first the blue Russian blades and shortly there after the black Indian blades. For me they are a very nice combination of sharp and smooth.

IMO, the Rapira Luxs are not bad blades. If I had never come across the yellow 7 o'clock's, and only shaved with Rapira Luxs, I would still be very happy.

I am enjoying the P-Lux blades that I received last week.
I have & use the Gillette Yellows & Blacks, Astra SP, Polsilver SI, etc.
I wouldn't consider the Rapira second rate in any way...too early to tell about the number of shaves yet.

If the first 3 shaves are on par with yellows, I suppose longevity could be sacrificed, they are less than half the price.

Top Bottom