What's new

Rap & Hip-Hop - Your Favourite tunes

Rap music was the first music I came to love, it made a big impact on me and was all I really listened to from about 12 to 16, beyond 16 I would accept other forms of music as valid expression. I still love it but am behind the times.

Please post some rap/hip-hop you love.

After listening to Beethoven all week this song still seems like a behemoth 20yrs on:

*edit* it only works when turned up to 11

Last edited by a moderator:
Way too many tracks.

but i listen to rap hip/hip hop from 2005- all the way to the 80's stuff. I dont really listen to the new stuff

I was listening to "It's Like That" by Run DMC and "Alphabet Aerobics" by Blackalicious on the way to work. Those are great songs.

disposable heroes of hiphoprisy- Television the Drug of a Nation

dave

Michael Franti in the Disposable Heroes was cool, harking back to the days of GIll Scot, the revolution will not be televised:

By the time he was talking about the how the chicken tastes like wood it got a little dull....
Grip:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
They were good, my fave:
You can't talk Beastie Boys without "Girls". Every teenage boy including me, loved that song from the first time they heard it. The beautiful thing about the Beastie Boys is they were truly talented. They didn't have to swear or self promote to sell records. They were lyrical masterminds. They kept it smart, fresh, and funky. They were classy dudes, very intelligent.

Kindly,
Adam

I was on a rap kick for a while, listening mostly to D12's Devil's Night album and Eminem's Relapse and Refill albums.

Now it's all about the 80's rock and punk rock. :thumbup1:

I used to listen to Devin the Dude. "The Dude" was an album -CD- that I used to let play start to finish.
"Do what you wanna do" is my favorite of the album.

"Ghetto D" is an album that is pretty decent as well. Master P made a bigger impact than he gets credit for. "Stop Hatin'" is dope.

Dr. Dre is not an artist that I think can be left off of any list of favorites."The Chronic" was an album that came out when music videos were still relevant, bootleg cassettes were a thing, and Parental Advisory warnings were the opposite of what Tipper Gore wanted them to be. A badge of honor rather than a scarlet letter of shame.
"Rat tat tat tat" comes to mind when I think of this album.

Cypress Hill. "Black Sunday"
"When the 'ship' goes down" is an absolute favorite for sure.

The whole thing about the rap and hip hop genre of the 90's and 00's is that it intertwined with rock, grunge, and pop genres to an extent. There was overlap and crossover quite a bit. It was not something that you had to adhere to or be immersed into in order to appreciate. The whole music industry was evolving and wasn't yet constrained by producers and a handful of record labels looking for hits only. Albums still mattered. The Lalapalooza concert in '96 and the Family Values tour of '98 were two venues that owed a large part of their success to the diversity of their performances.

OP, if you like this I'd like to direct you to more of his music. Also, there's a lot of other great underground rap from Michigan from the 1990s.

Top Bottom