What's new

Rant/Art of shaving & butterscotch brush

Ok boys, heres the deal, I'm minding my own business walking through the Roosevelt Field mall. I just happen to walk by the art of shaving. Theres a guy in there gettin a shave. Cool I think, I'm gonna watch, maybe learn a trick or two. Then to my horror I realize the guy is getting a shave with a Mach 3 with a fancy handle. You went to AOS for a Mach 3 shave? You are paying how much? I felt this rage, similar to when the Hulk says, don't make me angry, you won't like it if I get angry. I wanted to push the shaver away and say step away from the barber chair! ( By the way who is this guy doing the shaving is he a clerk, certainly not a barber ) Anyways I digress, is there no shame, no standard of decency left, is it me, or is this just wrong.

I had to maintain my composure and get a grip, my girlfriend and I went to Hagen Daz and got double scoop cones, ahhh, life worth living, eating ice cream. I was able to forget that horrible scene that was SO shocking, maybe it was a bad dream......

Ok, now to the butterscotch brushes, I didn't move in here in time to order one, I would kill for one of those beautys! NIIICCCEE!!!!!

Now if only I could get one of those barber chairs from the art of shaving...

WOW. That's all I can manage. I wonder if this is standard practice at AOS, or if only our fellow long islander's are just foolish enough to pay 30 bucks to get a horrible shave.

That's interesting because the Cleveland AOS store gives shaves with a straight razor. I know this because they gave me a free coupon for one a couple years ago. The shaves are only on weekends, you have to make an appointment and they bring in a barber to do it.

I never cashed in my coupon but I saw another guy getting a shave in the store from a barber using a straight razor.

I guess there is no standard of practice across all AOS stores around the country.

Lesson learned - before setting up an appointment for a shave at AOS, check to make sure it is a true old-fashioned barber shave and not with a modern. crummy, multi-blade. Hopefully the lather had not simply been sprayed out of a can!

Last edited:
Not everyone is a shave hobbyist, you know. Most people go for a barbershop shave to enjoy the pampering with hot towels and facial massages, not to make a political point against the Gillette Corp.

I wonder if AOS locations are franchised. I've seen both Gillette's latest as well as straights being used at different locations.

Well I know Art of Shaving is owned by Procter and Gamble so its no suprise seeing them promote Gillette razors.

The AOS at Lenox in Atlanta uses a Shavevette on the weekends when they give shaves. I never had gotten one, but have walked past seeing a few guys get a shave. I know they bring in a liscensed barber as well.

If you do happen to pass a store, buy some of their Sandalwood Shaving Soap.

I received a free shave at AOS when I purchased my Merkur long handle to begin DE shaving, and I requested they shave with a DE razor instead of whatever new Gillette blade they were demoing. Mind you, I live near Boston - Gillette's HQ. The barber told me he personally shaves with a straight edge and disposable blades, and recommended DE shaving over the new Gillette blades. "Once you get used to it, you'll never go back," he said before he was done.

I think he was spot on.

Ok, now to the butterscotch brushes, I didn't move in here in time to order one, I would kill for one of those beautys! NIIICCCEE!!!!!

Now if only I could get one of those barber chairs from the art of shaving...

Seeing as how many are left over and how at least 1 member left in disgust over the system used to order the brushes(after paying for 1), you might not have to kill anyone.

marty

Top Bottom