What's new

Ranking: The top 5 best shaving safety razors.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1. Timeless 95 SB
2. Blackbird SB

I sold my entire den and only kept these 2., they are too good. But have a wolfman WR2 incoming i the next few week, but will be really hard to dethrone any of these 2.
Be prepared for:
1590493904689.gif

I’ve heard the Taiga feels as smooth as the Rockwell. Would you agree?
Among all razors I tried, the Taiga comes closest to the Rockwell feeling and efficiency.
So, yes. But the Taiga is, at least for me, pickier with blades.
If I had to choose only one i would choose between these two. I love the Taiga s open comb plate but probably choose the Rockwell as it is a little more fool proof.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Wolfman
ATT S1
ATT R1
Mergress
Gillette Slim

But I have not tried a great many razors out there. If you totaled the number of available razors I suspect a great many of us have only tried a small percentage.

Maybe "best" should be changed to "favorite" for my post. You will please recognize that they are the best for my face/beard/technique, and not universally best for every human on the planet.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
In my collection I would rank them like this:
  1. Timeless SS .68 w/scalloped head & base
  2. Charcoal Goods SS LvL 2 (Took me a while...almost ranked this #1.)
  3. Parker Semi-Slant
  4. EJ Chatsworth
  5. RazoRock Mamba 70
All are straight bar. But on any given day, any one of these can really shine and provide a great shave.

1. Karve Brass razor.
2. Merkur Progress.
3. Yaqi scalloped Head.

I will be getting a rockwell soon, it will be intresting to see where is goes in my den.

I have 5 DEs in my 6 razor rotation, which are the best of the 100 or so DEs in my collection.

1. Masamune Tatara SB (short handle)
2. Weber PH (Bulldog handle)
3. Asylum Evo (standard base plate / short handle)
4. Charcoal Goods brass V1/L1 SB (hammered handle)
5. Razorock Mamba 0.7 (Halo handle)

They all shave well at my preferred shallow angle & I have ranked them in order, with the Tatara being the best overall performer. This ranking is liable to change though, possibly daily, as there is so little to choose between them.

If I forced to choose one DE to use for the rest of my days, it would probably be the Weber. Although the Tatara shaves slightly closer, the Weber is more enjoyable to use. I also like the tool-like aesthetics of the Weber. Yes, the blade in the Weber might have a slight wave when viewed through a magnifying glass, but my face doesn't notice this.

I run all of them with Astras, apart from the Tatara in which I use Feathers.

However, the best shaving razor in my rotation, by some way, is the one SE, which is a Colonial General V1 in stainless steel. I do have a fair few SEs in my collection that use all 3 main SE blade formats (GEM, injector & AC), but the General is best I have used.

My 2020 top 5 in no order:
Timeless not sure if I like the .68 or .95 best
British aristocrat junior
Rex Ambassador
Gem 1912
Yaqi Tech

I love these "best of" threads. :)

Out of the 20 or so razors that I've tried over the last 6 years, here's my list of what's worked best for my ugly mug (in order preference):

1. RazoRock Teck 2 (aka Baili 172)
2. Game Changer .68
3. Fatip Piccolo
4. RR Old Type
5. Mamba .53

Last edited:
Top Bottom