What's new

Ranking: The top 5 best shaving safety razors.

Toggle
Rocket HD 500
Le Supreme
Black Beauty
ABC old type (Have to be careful with this one but great results.)

ps. Only 5 choices or Fatboy would be in there too.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Current top 5 safety razors and no doubt will change in a few months..........!
Gem JR Parade Mfg 1938 (2).jpg Gem 1912 MFG 1928 (2).jpg
1-Gem Junior parade 1912 mfg 1938 or Gem 1912 mfg 1928

Star lather catcher1919 (2).jpg GEM  Junior bar 1907 (2).jpg
2- Star bar mfg 1919 Gem junior bar mfg 1907

Damaskeene OC 1912-15(2).jpg
3 - Gem Damaskeene open comb 1912-15

Schicks E2,3.5 (2).jpg
4- Schick E2- or E3......... or any Schick

Gillette Fatboy !959 E4 (2).jpg
5- Gillette fatboy 1959 E4, setting 7
Seems like vintage are my go to razors for now- it was modern a few yrs back.

Revised Top 5 list:
Hybrid Tech
4th generation Aristocrat
1st generation Aristocrat
L’Essor Le Supreme
Darwin Original

Runners-up:
Eclipse Red Ring
1934 Aristocrat

SLIM ADUSTABLE
ARISTOCRAT 47-48
SUPERSPEED 1940
RANGER 1941
PA COPPER ASCENSION DOC
( just tonight ordered a KARVE with B and C plates---- hoping for the best!)

My favorites have evolved over time. Guess that's true for all of us. As of now, my list is:

1. Mark Cross Razor -- Incredible shaves from a 106 year old razor. Super nimble and light weight. Adjustable based on blade load.
2. Charcoal Goods Level 3 -- Aggressive but smooth.
3. Wolfman WR1 .94 SB -- Very much like the CGL3. Aggressive and smooth. I give a slight edge to the CGL3 based on style. I find it more elegant.
4. Ikon Tech -- Incredible efficiency. Requires a precise and steady hand with attention to blade angle. Can mow down just about anything.

I can make my Mark Cross just as efficient as the Ikon Tech by loading the blade far forward. It's so light and nimble, and I find it beautiful with its triple silver plating. In my opinion, it's a wonderfully well kept secret. I've done my best to share this info with my shave brothers but no one has much noticed. Alas, makes it easier to find another. They are somewhat hard to find and so far I have just one. Hope to land a spare of two plus maybe a few to give away.

My favorites have evolved over time. Guess that's true for all of us. As of now, my list is:

1. Mark Cross Razor -- Incredible shaves from a 106 year old razor. Super nimble and light weight. Adjustable based on blade load.
2. Charcoal Goods Level 3 -- Aggressive but smooth.
3. Wolfman WR1 .94 SB -- Very much like the CGL3. Aggressive and smooth. I give a slight edge to the CGL3 based on style. I find it more elegant.
4. Ikon Tech -- Incredible efficiency. Requires a precise and steady hand with attention to blade angle. Can mow down just about anything.

I can make my Mark Cross just as efficient as the Ikon Tech by loading the blade far forward. It's so light and nimble, and I find it beautiful with its triple silver plating. In my opinion, it's a wonderfully well kept secret. I've done my best to share this info with my shave brothers but no one has much noticed. Alas, makes it easier to find another. They are somewhat hard to find and so far I have just one. Hope to land a spare of two plus maybe a few to give away.

Very interesting with the Mark Cross (I am looking for more razors to get, haha). It is a beautiful razor. I went in and read yours and jmudrick’s old threads, fascinating!

Very interesting with the Mark Cross (I am looking for more razors to get, haha). It is a beautiful razor. I went in and read yours and jmudrick’s old threads, fascinating!
It's by far my favorite. This morning, had three day's beard growth. Went first to my CGL3 with a once-used blade. It was pulling and tugging. Normally I'd turn to the Ikon Tech but the Mark Cross was still loaded with its old blade (which had seven shaves on it). But when I went to use it, my face was wiped clean with no pain or muss or fuss. Super close shave.

I really don't have much need for the Ikon Tech anymore. It was my razor for when I had a whole bunch of beard growth to remove. The Mark Cross does the same job and yet remains smooth and nimble. It is by far my best and most versatile razor.

Fun thread. I'll play. How many years can we keep this one going?

#1 - Timeless SS .95 scalloped (I don't have one of my own yet but I will...)
#2 - Slim (on 6 or 7)
#3 - '54 Flare Tip
#4 - EJ DE86

That's all I've got that's not headed out the door. If it's not a top pick for me I don't want to keep it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Game Changer 68
Game Changer .84
Karve Open Comb A
Feather Ac/DC
Gillette SS Red Tip
(All loaded with Light Brigade Wilkinson Sword vintage blades)

Top Bottom