What's new

Ranking popular razors by their blade rigidity

lasta

Blade Biter
I haven’t any idea how to judge blade rigidity. Can you tell by sound - higher pitch and lower volume indicate greater rigidity?
I can't tell. I've had the back of my neck shaved by a barber holding a DE blade between his fingers, stiff enough to do the job
:c13:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Some excellent razors that rigid clamp blades with no chatter of blade IMO.

SE razors- Gem Micromatic razors with the thicker 9/1000 of inch blade and the rack and pinion forward top cap clamping system works well IMO. GEM spline blade is the safest to handle also of all different sizes and lengths of SE blades.
-SE Razorock V3 precision machined 316 stainless steel razors have a good solid grip on a AC 9/1000 inch thick blade.
DE razors- Razorock 2nd generation 316 SS Lupo.72 is awesome for clamping blade and because of its practical design.
-Razorock 316 SS Wunderbar slant with torqued blade is solid for clamping. Amazing precision machining of this complicated designed slant.

Last edited:
I haven’t any idea how to judge blade rigidity. Can you tell by sound - higher pitch and lower volume indicate greater rigidity?

I am just talking about where I can see the blade being clamped. The Blackland Era clamps it very close to the blade edge and all along the entire blade. Some razors just clamp the corners or clamp much further back.

As to if it changes the shave... Once you are talking about the shave there are so many variables there and I am not sure. I am just talking about the physical characteristics of the razor.

I am just talking about where I can see the blade being clamped. The Blackland Era clamps it very close to the blade edge and all along the entire blade. Some razors just clamp the corners or clamp much further back.

As to if it changes the shave... Once you are talking about the shave there are so many variables there and I am not sure. I am just talking about the physical characteristics of the razor.
But blade clamping is only one factor affecting blade rigidity. How do you take into account other factors like blade curvature to decide which razors hold the blade most rigidly? And how can you judge the effect of different kinds of clamping, which are not necessarily the same along the whole blade. I don’t think I can tell from the feel of the razor, and definitely not from just looking at the head.

Wouldn’t a more rigid blade vibrate less, or vibrate at a higher frequency if it is more rigid, which you should be able to detect by listening.

I was marvelling at some pictures of the Athena and the blade on is vice-clamped
very close to the edge.
Theodoros quotes measurements and states that the Athena clamps the blade 1.8mm from the blade edge. The blade is also quite curved - probably a little more than average. I guess it would be very rigid.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have no idea how to answer this question. Is lack of blade chatter an indication?

I have 2, that's right.... just two razors..... The AC blades start out much more rigid than a DE... and my Claymore Evolution seems to hold the blade firmly.

The British Flat Bottom Tech is the only other razor I use. I don't notice any movement in the blade as I shave.

But blade clamping is only one factor affecting blade rigidity. How do you take into account other factors like blade curvature to decide which razors hold the blade most rigidly? And how can you judge the effect of different kinds of clamping, which are not necessarily the same along the whole blade. I don’t think I can tell from the feel of the razor, and definitely not from just looking at the head.

Wouldn’t a more rigid blade vibrate less, or vibrate at a higher frequency if it is more rigid, which you should be able to detect by listening.
This is the Tatara Masamune/Nodaci head. In this particular razor the curvature of the blade has no effect on the blade rigidity, because it is supported as a cantilever. L1 determines the blade rigidity, while the support under the blade reduces vibrations. This razor sings with a high pitch when you shave.
The Blackland Black Bird is designed with a completely different head. This one clamps the blade close to the cutting edge on the upper side against the cap. It relies on the curvature of the blade to reduce vibrations, and to give rigidity at the same time.
It is supported on a fulcrum, which is a important difference between these two razors.

Blade/head rigidity can be calculated for each razor head type quite easy, you only need the precise measurements. I am not sure what value it would add though.

1660830364557.png

Ron R

Blackland Era razor I have not used but have observed it recently, the folks who did design that razor did a excellent job of considering blade clamp rigidity I believe by that unique design of the 316 SS 3D printed razor. The base plate has that taper design underneath that is incorporated as part of the lather port that runs parallel & adjacent to the front edge of the top cap front edge then tapers towards exhaust lather ports giving a decent grip on the blade IMO. Looking at he pictures of this razor you will not notice it because of its black tone color in photo's and some fellows don't notice it or maybe don't understand why they did that I'm thinking.

Weirdest thing for me is that my best shavers are the ones the blades are not so rigid. The progress is a nice example.

It’s either the biggest coincidence or maybe there’s some weird science behind it. That’s why I stopped chasing rigid designs.

Who knows…

Ron R

Weirdest thing for me is that my best shavers are the ones the blades are not so rigid. The progress is a nice example.

It’s either the biggest coincidence or maybe there’s some weird science behind it. That’s why I stopped chasing rigid designs.

Who knows…
I can say some of my good performing razors are also not rigid in design and I enjoy the audio feedback. I do not head shave but some fellows like a razor with no chatter & good clamping because of sensitive skin in this area that makes a some folks looking for these type of solid clamping razors in my limited understanding. I have razors that have the blade float almost like in the Oneblade Core and perform very well as a mild razor IMO.(jury is out on blade rigidity and I can take it or leave it.) Makes sense to have a well clamped blade but some of my razors have challenged that theory!

I can say some of my good performing razors are also not rigid in design and I enjoy the audio feedback. I do not head shave but some fellows like a razor with no chatter & good clamping because of sensitive skin in this area that makes a some folks looking for these type of solid clamping razors in my limited understanding. I have razors that have the blade float almost like in the Oneblade Core and perform very well as a mild razor IMO.(jury is out on blade rigidity and I can take it or leave it.) Makes sense to have a well clamped blade but some of my razors have challenged that theory!
Yep. The progress gives me the best long lasting BBS shaves with little effort. And the damn thing sings while cutting.

Go figure…

Top Bottom