What's new

Range time

I finally got a chance to get to the range today, after months without range time. I am a strong believer that part of my responsibility of owning handguns is ensuring I remain proficient with them. Getting back to the range made me wonder how much time do others put into ensuring they keep up their marksmanship. Also, I did some rapid fire shooting, which I normally don't do. In a real world situation, that is the type of shooting I would likely be doing. So, how much range time do ya'll get and do you practice slow and steady shots or do you work on improving rapid shooting?

Sent via Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I shoot whenever I feel like it. I was going to order some .38 and .45 rounds so I didn't have to drag out my portable loading bench and put things together, but I found ammo for both yesterday that I forgot I had.

do you practice slow and steady shots or do you work on improving rapid shooting?

Yes. :biggrin1:

I usually start slow aimed fire, then pick up the pace. I do need to work on my close range point shooting...I'm getting rusty.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm slowly starting to get in to shooting more. This summer I'm planning on hitting the range weekly. As of now it's just backyard fun. No real practice. I need to focus on accuracy. Then rapid fire.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I don't get to shoot as much as I used to and not quite enough to be fully proficient. I no longer have access to private property like I used to and the range I have access to is only open on weekends and I have to work every other weekend. That being said, when shooting handguns, I usually concentrate on defensive oriented rapid fire at close to moderate ranges. If I could shoot as frequently as I wanted to, I'd certainly do more slow precise shooting. When shooting long guns, it's about 50/50 slow precision off the bench and practical off hand rapid fire.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes and yes, re: practice.

I go every two weeks ... Except when life piles up tasks.

One gun is usually a project/test - like that flintlock I had to shoot. Or a new recoil 19 pound recoil spring in a semiauto.

The other is SD business, usually. As OP indicated, proficiency is a responsibility that goes with ownership.

Interesting are the guns that don't go to the range very much. They don't ever malfunction, and I know where they shoot. :001_tongu

AA

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
On of the guys at my local range made a valid point yesterday. He said that practice can be done at home with different drills and repetitive movements. When you go to the range, you're not practicing, you're seeing how much your practicing has paid off. I think that his concept only carries so much weight, but I can see his point, and understand what he was getting at.

With that being said, for the past few weeks I've been going once a week.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A lot can be accomplished at home, particularly gun handling skills, drawing from the holster, speed and tactical reloads. Building muscle memory. If you need to practice magazine changes, you want to be able to quickly change a magazine without looking at your gun or the mag. When I first started to compete in IPSC back in the day, I'd sit in front of the TV and repeatedly change mags in my 1911 without looking at either. Obviously no live ammo in the vicinity, guns unloaded. Having a dummy round in the mag may make seating the mag in the mag well easier, especially with a single stack magazine. Use a snap cap when dry firing. Of course nowadays there are all kinds of laser do dads for dry fire practice, or you can just go old school.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, I also have the LaserLyte training device- laser-dot-shooting G19 and a target that beeps/flashes colors.

It's trained the cat, too, unfortunately. One CLICK and she comes racing for that tasty red dot ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

I should point out that though she loves coyote-destroying firearms, she adores artillery. Most cats do.

Here she is with a .50-cal. mini-mortar:

full

Ultima Ratio Felinus? "The final argument of Cats," for non-Latin speakers.

I only let her fire it on the Fourth of July, though.

AA

I go two to three times a month. My local range offers free lane time to military veterans once a week, which is very nice.

Top Bottom