What's new

Range report for new Mark IV

I run both pistols with suppressors, so they are really much more accepting of a variety of ammo as a result. The change in pressure from the suppressor improves cycling and reliability. I really like the buckmark though. It’s heavier, and even with a can, it’s a touch louder. The trigger is pretty darn good though, right out of the box. I’ve been more than pleased running it with iron sights only and a suppressor. My 22/45 sports a titanium can and a vortex reflex red dot, it gets plenary of use, but that exclusive to my better half.
Yes, the reason I got the lite version was so my 10 year old son would could learn with it.

The best drop in part that you can buy to improve the trigger pull is a Volquartsen sear.

Your factory trigger can be drilled and tapped for set screws to adjust pre and post travel.
Something like this?

That is the one I was looking at. Just because it was a really easy looking install. Did you install you own?
Yes, but if you look at the drop in sear option being discussed and you feel up to the task I would nudge you in that direction first. The tandemkross is an improvement but if you can do better for the effort, don’t leave room for regret. I wouldn’t necessarily be eager to put the same trigger in another gun in the future...

Yes, the reason I got the lite version was so my 10 year old son would could learn with it.
New shooters, same as most shooters benefit from the weight of a more solid pistol. The lightweight aspect of the MKIV is really more of a backpacker or hikers benefit. In the case of a new shooter, and learning, the lightweight feature will likely lengthen the learning curve... however if the lighter weight does make it easier to bring your son into the world of pistols and marksmanship, this will certainly not hinder his ability to familiarize himself with safe gun handling and shooting fundamentals.

New shooters, same as most shooters benefit from the weight of a more solid pistol. The lightweight aspect of the MKIV is really more of a backpacker or hikers benefit. In the case of a new shooter, and learning, the lightweight feature will likely lengthen the learning curve... however if the lighter weight does make it easier to bring your son into the world of pistols and marksmanship, this will certainly not hinder his ability to familiarize himself with safe gun handling and shooting fundamentals.
Yes, I plan on backpacking with this as well. I have a heavier 22 revolver sa. They will be what we work with this summer.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm a big fan of the Tandemkross trigger and the Volquartsen sear combo. If you have an earlier MK, there are other Tandemkross upgrades as well.

I'm a big fan of the Tandemkross trigger and the Volquartsen sear combo. If you have an earlier MK, there are other Tandemkross upgrades as well.
I think that is what I will do after I make sure this pistol has no issues.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Does yours have the Loaded Chamber Indicator? If so, it can be removed and there is a blank part that fills the slot in the slide but does not function as an LCI, which some say adversely affects accuracy and potentially causes other issues.

Does yours have the Loaded Chamber Indicator? If so, it can be removed and there is a blank part that fills the slot in the slide but does not function as an LCI, which some say adversely affects accuracy and potentially causes other issues.
I do not believe it does.

I did order the Tandemkross trigger and the Volquartsen sear combo from Tandemkross. I’ll wait for a couple more range trips to install them. Thanks for all the advice gentlemen.

A780631D-45D1-413C-9EA7-E5FE512024CB.jpeg

I added a compensator and the FastFire III. I took off the rail and front sight. I put 100 rounds of cheap blazer 22 and it worked perfectly. I put 400 rounds of Remington Golden bullets through it and had 4 duds. I tried to refire them at the end and 1 did fire. The rest did not. They all had nice deep hits. I have had the ammo for the better part of 20 years so I don’t think the gun is at fault there. No misfeeds or any other issues! I think I’m ready to install the Volksquarten accurizing kit and Tandemcross trigger. They are sitting on my bench waiting....

I do like the red dot sight. 20 yard accuracy is pretty good. I can definitely see the need for a lighter trigger. With a rest I could get 4 inch groups, but freehand was more like 10 inch groups at 20 yards. I can’t wait to get it out in the woods this summer.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
With .22 ammo so cheap, how much does it help your overall shooting of the heavier calibers to fire a crap load of rounds out of a .22? I have often thought about buying one just for plinking thinking it would help overall muscle memory.

I kind of de-railed Brian sorry.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
For myself, shooting a .22 pistol helps enforce basic shooting skills and allows cheep practice, but doesn't necessarily directly transfer to shooting a larger caliber. For one thing, the pistol controls and and grip shape may be different from your center fire pistol. Then there is the difference in recoil. So as for "muscle memory", the questions are, are you able to use a similar holster? Similar movements on "presentation"? Bottom line, .22s are fun to shoot and fill a niche not easily filled by center fires.

With .22 ammo so cheap, how much does it help your overall shooting of the heavier calibers to fire a crap load of rounds out of a .22? I have often thought about buying one just for plinking thinking it would help overall muscle memory.

I kind of de-railed Brian sorry.
Please do! The plinking aspect with my son is what has attracted me. I always liked plinking, but my other 22 pistols are not as fun.

You will love the new trigger and sear!
Well, it took me a while, but the new trigger, sear and hammer is installed and everything seems to be working. I had a few instances where I needed an extra hand but it came together. Much lighter pull and I like the trigger. I may be able to shoot tomorrow, but more likely next weekend. I also installed a halo ring. She is definitely all fancied up now.

Top Bottom