What's new

Range report for new Mark IV

Well I just got a new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 a couple days ago. I have been chomping at the bit to get to the range. After every new year I like to take all my pistols to the range and shoot up the self defense ammunition that has been loaded in them for the last year. That took me a bit and I finally got to shooting the new 22/45.
4CE9EEE1-A2EF-491F-A1DA-5E2CE285B9EC.jpeg

I was happy to go through 200 mini mags without a hiccup. Pretty easy to shoot and smallish groups out to 15 yards. I was impressed with how nice the trigger was right off the bat, not terribly light but very crisp. The sights are nice as well, but I’ll be replacing the rear with a nice red dot soon after I make sure the gun is reliable and issue free.

I had a bit of time left on the range and had brought some other brands of ammunition that I had sitting around to try as well. I was impressed so far so I tried some super x hollow points that no other 22 semi auto I own can shoot reliably. 60 rounds and no issues. I have hundreds of these so that’s good to see. I tried some Remington yellow jackets, 50 rounds no issues. 50 Federal spitfires, no issues. Then came the big test. I have several 500 round boxes of Remington Golden Bullets. The only gun they don’t jam is my revolver and that is a lot of shooting with a single action revolver.... I got a screaming deal on them and really needed a gun to use these reliably. 60 rounds...not one issue! It was slow there and even the range guys were even cheering. I was out of time and my fingers were sore from loading the little mags so I cleaned up and called it a victory. Over 400 rounds for the day and not one problem. I am so happy this pistol seems to like the 22’s I have that no other gun likes.

I am excited to get back to the range already! Maybe tomorrow.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
There are some cool little sleeves/sliders that help load those Ruger mags. My thumb thanks me every time that I remember having them in my range box.

Nice looking pistol!

There are some cool little sleeves/sliders that help load those Ruger mags. My thumb thanks me every time that I remember having them in my range box.

Nice looking pistol!
Thanks!
I ordered this. It has good reviews.

I'm not sure what you do in the 1000 round tune up, but I must have missed it at least ten times on my Mark II.

Never heard of a 1k tune up either.

I have done a lot of trigger work on MKs though. I generally get them under 2 pounds with little to no pre and post travel.

Handgun World Podcast hosted by Bob Maine has always advocated running 1000 rounds through a new gun. The first 500 breaks the trigger in and the second completely breaks the shooter in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKIV... finally a good design for maintenance. I worked in a shop for about six years and avoided learning how to strip down a ruger MK pistol... but the MKIV thawed my frosty exterior and I added one to my stable a few years back so I had something to hang a can from. Classic pistol. I’ve upgraded the trigger and like the gun fairly well. My only dislike of the this version, mine is the same, is that i find it to be too light. It left me yearning for the standard grip MKIV tactical that boasts significantly more weight... and then I wound up with a buckmark instead. They are all enjoyable and so much to appreciate in the form and function of each one. I hope you a kind enough to yourself to put a little red dot on top of her. Makes it almost effortless point and shoot.

Never heard of a 1k tune up either.

I have done a lot of trigger work on MKs though. I generally get them under 2 pounds with little to no pre and post travel.
I was looking at a replacement trigger that has adjustable pre/post travel. It doesn’t actually change the weight of the pull, but it’s flat instead of curved so I guess the idea would be that you pull from a lower position if you want just increasing the lever arm so it feels lighter. Im not sure if that is worth it.... People seem to like them and they are easy to install. I’m no gunsmith.

The best drop in part that you can buy to improve the trigger pull is a Volquartsen sear.

Your factory trigger can be drilled and tapped for set screws to adjust pre and post travel.

Sounds like ammo manufacturers must be podcast sponsors....lol

Actually, Bob started in 2009 with the podcast. He sells security systems for a living. What I like about his show is that he wasn’t an expert, but just a devout enthusiast.

Manufacturers want 500 rounds. I just reached 1022 rounds on my EDC, and I tend to agree with Bob. The gun feels totally different and comforting me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKIV... finally a good design for maintenance. I worked in a shop for about six years and avoided learning how to strip down a ruger MK pistol... but the MKIV thawed my frosty exterior and I added one to my stable a few years back so I had something to hang a can from. Classic pistol. I’ve upgraded the trigger and like the gun fairly well. My only dislike of the this version, mine is the same, is that i find it to be too light. It left me yearning for the standard grip MKIV tactical that boasts significantly more weight... and then I wound up with a buckmark instead. They are all enjoyable and so much to appreciate in the form and function of each one. I hope you a kind enough to yourself to put a little red dot on top of her. Makes it almost effortless point and shoot.
I believe a Burris FastFire 3. I have the mount coming. Also, a compensator for the front that is steel so it’ll add a couple ounces out front. How picky is the buckmark?

I was looking at a replacement trigger that has adjustable pre/post travel. It doesn’t actually change the weight of the pull, but it’s flat instead of curved so I guess the idea would be that you pull from a lower position if you want just increasing the lever arm so it feels lighter. Im not sure if that is worth it.... People seem to like them and they are easy to install. I’m no gunsmith.

Sounds like you might want to check out the tandemkross triggers. It’s not a lighter trigger but does exactly as you said, uses leverage to give the feel of a lighter pull. I have one in mine. For the price, I’m happy with it, however if you are a trigger snob, don’t take this as a recommendation for you.

I believe a Burris FastFire 3. I have the mount coming. Also, a compensator for the front that is steel so it’ll add a couple ounces out front. How picky is the buckmark?

I run both pistols with suppressors, so they are really much more accepting of a variety of ammo as a result. The change in pressure from the suppressor improves cycling and reliability. I really like the buckmark though. It’s heavier, and even with a can, it’s a touch louder. The trigger is pretty darn good though, right out of the box. I’ve been more than pleased running it with iron sights only and a suppressor. My 22/45 sports a titanium can and a vortex reflex red dot, it gets plenary of use, but that exclusive to my better half.

Sounds like you might want to check out the tandemkross triggers. It’s not a lighter trigger but does exactly as you said, uses leverage to give the feel of a lighter pull. I have one in mine. For the price, I’m happy with it, however if you are a trigger snob, don’t take this as a recommendation for you.
That is the one I was looking at. Just because it was a really easy looking install. Did you install you own?

Top Bottom