What's new

Range belts for pistols recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for a belt for the range to hold two double mag pouches and a holster, and would you wear it through belt loops or just put it around your waist?
Thanks!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I just wear the same gun belts I use as regular belts. The ones I have were made by High Noon Holsters about two decades ago and have held up well since then. I wear them through the belt loops.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There are many high quality leather belts as well. Just make sure it is specifically made as a gun belt, or it will roll or sag. If you do get an Instructors belt, get the five stich version, it's vertically stiffer. Leather belts should be double layered, some have stiffening inserts.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
The Wilderness Original Instructors Belt, worn through the belt loops.
https://www.thewilderness.com/belts/original-instructor-belt/
Excellent belts ... I’ve worn one for well over a decade & it has held-up/performed quite well. I opted for the titanium buckle because it is noticeably lighter than its carbon steel counterpart. Should you decide to go the Wilderness route, heed the sizing info/video on their website, that & as nortac mentioned, be sure it’s a 5-stitch belt.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Excellent belts ... I’ve worn one for well over a decade & it has held-up/performed quite well. I opted for the titanium buckle because it is noticeably lighter than its carbon steel counterpart. Should you decide to go the Wilderness route, heed the sizing info/video on their website, that & as nortac mentioned, be sure it’s a 5-stitch belt.

+2 Looks like the price is right also.

For IDPA, I have really enjoyed my Kore Trackline gunbelts. I went through a few webbed friction belts, and didn't like any of them. I could never get them as tight as I wanted without them slipping. I tried a webbed velcro belt for a while, but it was too difficult to get adjusted properly. The trackline belts are easy and secure.

I've never been a fan of web belts for various reasons. Looks, lack of retention when a holstered firearm on it, etc. I've used a few over the years and never cared for them. Currently use one as my deer hunting belt for knife, and the other holds my archery quiver.

For daily use, and at the range, I use 5.11's leather belt. I'm on my second one, worn daily with IWB or OWB, in about 15 years. Only reason why I replaced my first was because I outgrew it when I put a lot of weight on. Now that I'm losing it, will be time for another belt again. Otherwise, they've held their shape, and no issues otherwise. Good quality for the price.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My current favorite is the SuperBio belt by Daltech Force. Non-leather. Stiff. Light. "Non-tactical" looking. I even wear it to work with casual slacks.

SuperBio® Gun Belts

The dress belt looks nice enough, but only available in black.
Their leather belts look nice and are available in colors other than black.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I've never been a fan of web belts for various reasons. Looks, lack of retention when a holstered firearm on it, etc. I've used a few over the years and never cared for them. Currently use one as my deer hunting belt for knife, and the other holds my archery quiver.

For daily use, and at the range, I use 5.11's leather belt. I'm on my second one, worn daily with IWB or OWB, in about 15 years. Only reason why I replaced my first was because I outgrew it when I put a lot of weight on. Now that I'm losing it, will be time for another belt again. Otherwise, they've held their shape, and no issues otherwise. Good quality for the price.

I just picked up a 5.11 leather belt yesterday. :) Has some kind of rigid center piece inside for durability, I think I only paid $40 for it at the Cop Shop.

It also seems to fit kind of small? I have a 33" waist so I picked up the 32-34 and don't have enough belt left to put in the first loop on my left. I will have to exchange it for the 36-38; and I'm a 33? Kinda weird.

I just picked up a 5.11 leather belt yesterday. :) Has some kind of rigid center piece inside for durability, I think I only paid $40 for it at the Cop Shop.

It also seems to fit kind of small? I have a 33" waist so I picked up the 32-34 and don't have enough belt left to put in the first loop on my left. I will have to exchange it for the 36-38; and I'm a 33? Kinda weird.

Yep, they use a stiffener in it. As to size, correct, they even mention on their site that it's a smaller sized fit. Wish it'd be a more true size. Still a good deal, even if you have to go a size or two up.

OkieStubble

Yep, they use a stiffener in it. As to size, correct, they even mention on their site that it's a smaller sized fit. Wish it'd be a more true size. Still a good deal, even if you have to go a size or two up.

Seems of very good quality for the money. :)

All belts should be worn through loops. You will not enjoy drawing your gun or mags and have the belt come up with it. It has to be secured within the loops. Even battle belts are secured thorough a velcro backer.

I like infinitely adjustable belts. The kore gun belt is my top choice. If you don't like leather, I would go Wilderness Frequent Flyer. I do not need huge metal buckles - a gun and two mags is more than enough weight to carry and I don't plan on repelling.

The biothane belts look cool. I just want infinitely adjustable. So much more comfort.... Especially iwb.

1.5 inch is the most common for both holsters and belts.... And they fit most jeans or pants.

I wear the Cobra EDC Belt from Blue Alpha Gear. It's webb, but it's strong as a horse and nearly impossible to bend or fold. It's my everyday belt, regardless of what I wear (fits through all my belt loops, even my dress slacks for work). And sturdily holds my Gen 5 Glock 19 (AIWB carry) and an extra mag. Worth looking into.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great thread! Hunting a belt now.

Going to get a local 'smith to make me one for 1970s oversized brass belt buckles. That was a thing in the 70's. Trucker buckles, Colt/Winchester, rodeo, hippie-eco-nonsense; those were all cool brass buckles ... back in the day.

AA

OkieStubble

Traded in my 32"-34" 5.11 belt for the larger 36"-38." Guess what? Way to big! Had to go back and get a refund. 5.11 apparently doesn't make a 34"-36", which is what I need. What kind of sense does that make?

Traded in my 32"-34" 5.11 belt for the larger 36"-38." Guess what? Way to big! Had to go back and get a refund. 5.11 apparently doesn't make a 34"-36", which is what I need. What kind of sense does that make?

That's kind of odd that they wouldn't. Looking at their size chart, looks like they skip 2" between sizes. Not sure what the thought process is behind that. It's unfortunate that they aren't able to accomodate you with the belt.

Sadly, that is how it is for me with shirts. Very few companies make Tall sized clothes, so I'm stuck with either going too big (XXL) and have it drap like a sack on me. Or, it's so short I can't tuck in and I expose skin when I bend slightly (won't even discuss the plumber's crack issue...).

OkieStubble

That's kind of odd that they wouldn't. Looking at their size chart, looks like they skip 2" between sizes. Not sure what the thought process is behind that. It's unfortunate that they aren't able to accomodate you with the belt.

Sadly, that is how it is for me with shirts. Very few companies make Tall sized clothes, so I'm stuck with either going too big (XXL) and have it drap like a sack on me. Or, it's so short I can't tuck in and I expose skin when I bend slightly (won't even discuss the plumber's crack issue...).

Lol'd. :) Headed to McDonald's right now, so I can eventually fit one of their belts.

Top Bottom