What's new

Range Bag

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My range bag is falling apart. It wasn't expensive to begin with and has lasted close to 15yrs. I've looked at Midway, Brownells, etc. but the sheer number of bags and configurations offered is overwhelming. If anyone here has some real world experience with a certain brand or bag configuration let me know. I have plenty of pistol cases/rugs so I don't really need anything with that feature. A bag that can be carried as a backpack would be a plus. I'd like to keep the price below $200 if possible. Thanks for any info you have.

I have a few of these

They also have smaller models and I think some backpack models. Mine are around ten years old and still look great.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I use a Targus Laptop backpack. Well over 10 years now. Probably closer to 15. Plenty of pockets and room to add whatever I may need.

06BDC17F-EEE2-43BE-AB1F-A98A157B82E0.jpeg
C6600A6E-D47B-456F-B225-3E8B347F076C.jpeg
F8B60375-6499-4141-A34A-34274596297E.jpeg
9342011F-859D-4146-9359-E4E392FEEBB6.jpeg
5052DFD8-ECCE-4278-9A19-C5D44226B49E.jpeg
F97B94DE-A685-4136-BAD0-1551DDDF8184.jpeg
A4462AD6-00CE-4E9B-BBD7-A67688CBBC2F.jpeg

I carry little, use an M&P 2 pistol case. Holds recoil gloves, ear plugs, eye protection, a few bandaids, a roll of tape, small bore rod. The case will 2 pistols, 6 magazines, 4 boxes of ammo, and targets. Probably too small for your needs.

I'm not sure exactly what size/shape/features you want, but I have been pleasantly surprised by Savior Equipment. Tbey remind me a lot of the original Eagle gear, while it was still a family business. Amazon has them cheapest, as of 2 weeks ago.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A backpack is a great range bag, becatyoy can also use it to bench rest your rifle.

Can’t go with 5.11.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have one of those back packs when they first came out, mine is a G.P.S. It really holds up well, everything I need is in there and my ammo is in a different bag (here in NJ I was trained to separate ammo and guns in two different bags, now supposedly one can have ammo in the range bag if it is in a separate compartment).
Link:
I ended up buying one of these but in the tall version. Midway has them on sale for almost $60 off.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great thread. I use a worn-out large messenger bag.

(thread veer) But who remembers those great wooden range boxes people made and used in the 1970s?

You know, with the spotting scope that swung up, and the plywood pistol racks ...

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Great thread. I use a worn-out large messenger bag.

(thread veer) But who remembers those great wooden range boxes people made and used in the 1970s?

You know, with the spotting scope that swung up, and the plywood pistol racks ...

AA
I never used one, but I remember them.

I've used an Uncle Mike's patrol bag for years, but I'm getting to the point where toting things back and forth to the car is harder. Most stuff I see are about magazine pouches and pistol pockets. I wound up with a Dewalt rolling contractors box. It's smaller than most of the stacking systems they sell, but still has the pull out handle and wheels.
DWST33090_1.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've had a Dillon range bag for many years but stopped using it once the zipper gave out on one of the large side pockets. Now it's just used for static storage of various shooting related items. So, when I go to the range now, it's usually with a conglomeration of various bags and containers. Most of my shooting is done where I can drive right up to the shooting line, so ferrying gear to the line is no big deal. But that may change, and I'll need an all-in-one range bag as well. I may need to use a rolling cart that can accommodate one or more long guns, a spotting scope and shooting mat. Whether to buy a purpose-built unit or DIY one with a cheap dolly is the question.

Top Bottom