What's new

Random Thoughts :: My CREMO Conundrum

I picked up a tube of Cremo shave cream on a whim the other day while at Target. I've heard of this particular product and in the back of my mind I was thinking everything I'd heard was relatively positive. A tube at some point found its way into my cart.
Cremo.jpeg

And today I decided to give it a whirl. Per the directions on the container I squeezed an "almond sized" amount into my hand smeared up my wet face. No bowl, no brush; just squeeze and slather (adding water as required). No real "lather" is produced (by design); it's more of a soapy, bubbly film which the directions indicate is what I'm after. The experience is a little messy. The "lather" IS feeling really slick, though, so I start shaving. Then I finish shaving. All in all the shave I got was great, no nicks, no weepers, no irritation and my face is feeling pretty good. I'm definitely in DFS territory here.

The conundrum I'm facing is that while this product does work really well, I don't like using it. At all. The whole Shaving Experience from this morning just felt... Off. And because of that, I'm in a slightly foul mood today.

I have never used Cremo as a stand-alone lather, but using a pea-sized amount as a pre-shave has taken my canned goo shaves from acceptable to exceptional. Gives the artisan stuff a run for the money if you ask me, and you don’t need a brush either. Saves me time and is more convenient.

6853A699-1A5A-4425-8C9F-236009E158CC.jpeg

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have never used Cremo as a stand-alone lather, but using a pea-sized amount as a pre-shave has taken my canned goo shaves from acceptable to exceptional. Gives the artisan stuff a run for the money if you ask me, and you don’t need a brush either. Saves me time and is more convenient.

View attachment 1267973
Interesting. Do you apply Cremo and Barbasol before each pass?

Putting the cremo on a brush and using it to spread around face seems to alleviate some of the mess and add to the whole experience. But as you have mentioned... it is a fairly functional product but lacks some joy in the experience LOL

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I bought a tube when I was using a cart. It’s pretty cheap. I’ve never used it with a brush.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've been brushless all month since I'm doing my May'd in USA month, wherein all the items used in the shave must be made in USA. I don't have a USA made brush. There are no more, except for very old used ones.

So I really haven't been missing the brush all that much. I'm not a big synth fan, but I also dislike soaking my naturals before the shave and I don't like cleaning up the brush after the shave.

I see myself possibly brush free in the future.

The dab of Cremo goes on before the first pass and that’s it. You can feel it working for the remaining passes, just using the Barbasol. It’s a very nice and simple combo!
I may give this a go myself. I really can't see myself using it again... At least, not as directed.

I use it as a pre-lather component. Spread a small amount around the stubble, then lather on top of it. Adds slickness without the mess.

Yup. Cremo makes a good pre-shave. Provides slickness to the lather. It also works when you're in a hurry, but I wouldn't use it as my daily cream.

Top Bottom