What's new

Random testflight reviews

Guerlain Mitsouko EDP

proxy.php

Top Notes: Bergamot, Rose
Middle Notes: Jasmin, Spices, Peach
Base Notes: Oakmoss, Woody notes

Okay I've taken the plunge. The citrus is pretty obvious and so is the rose (which is similar to the rose on Habit Rouge EDT but stronger). Pretty quickly the middle notes approach with a nice blending of all those notes. The peach gives the floral a slight gourmand reaction. I found it to be pretty quiet in the first couple of minutes but now it keeps drumming on in a good clip with three sprays on my wrist. The florals give it a slightly "fresh bread" smell and the peach/oakmoss combination seems like the core of the scent. It all blends very well. I don't see this particularly being too feminine and I would recommend it to those who like, gourmands, rose scents, citrus and oakmoss. I think this could be suitable anytime of year but personally there is something cosy about it in regards to the spices and would be even better in the winter. The spices really move the scent forward. What suprised me is that it didn't seem as offputting as I expected to be. This is definitely not your Mom's potpourri. It doesn't scream of headache inducing florals but stays close to the skin and is very tasteful. It may seem stronger if you sit in one place collecting wafts of the scent. The true beauty appears in the drydown where the spices meet the woods. Very romantic. :blush: It might turn you on like the mango episode of Seinfeld where George Costanza gets his mojo back after sampling some mango. :wink2:

Givenchy Vetiver original

proxy.php

Top ~ Tarragon, bergamot, Cinnamon
Heart ~ Cedar, Vetiver & patchouli
Base ~ Civet & Russian Leather

This is powerful from the start. It's a little like Guerlain's sweet vetiver but with more woods and herbs. It's very pungent. The tarragon pungent smell mixes with the bergamot to give off an "herby" floor cleaner smell (not as bad as described) and the leather gives off a stately quality and helps to contrast the greenness of the herbs. In terms of strength, this is stonger than Guerlain but a bit less then Encre Noire. If you like an "herby" pungent scent that lasts long then I think it's for you. For me it's just above average. TPC Sel de vetiver is the outstanding one.

Floris Vetiver

proxy.php

Top notes of bergamot, lemon and lavender.
Heart notes of geranium, cinnamon, clove, vetiver and coriander.
Base notes of patchouli, sandalwood, amber, frankincense and tonka bean.

Not a bad scent and those who like incense (especially since it's similar to L'Occitane Eau des baux) they will take to this right away. To me the incense is very powerful. It is freshened by the vetiver and patchouli and maintains this earthy vibe also similar to Burberry London without the tobacco. The tonka sweetens it a little to keep it from being harsh. This will be fine all year round and especially in fall/winter. To me it's nowhere near as good as Guerlain Vetiver/Vetiver Extraordinaire/Encre Noire but for those who don't like those scents they may take to this one. The longevity is fantastic. It's decent and inoffensive but too boring for me.

MPG Santal Noble

proxy.php

Top Notes: Coffee beans, spice oils, incense
Heart Notes: Sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla, vetiver
Base Notes: Ambegris, oakmoss, vanilla

This is a nice sandalwood (more woody like planks of wood than typical incense) sweetened with vanilla and an enjoyable ambergris. The opening is a bit harsh and very earthy but it softens to a nice exotic scent not unlike Timbuktu (but without the fruit). The sillage isn't great like Timbuktu but it probably would be a monster if it did project too much. If Indiana Jones didn't wear Knize Ten he would probably wear this. :lol: Very enjoyable and recommended for sandalwood and gourmand fans. Ambergris fans will also like how it dries down and how it plays with the vetiver and oakmoss to give it an outdoors character.

Floris Vetiver

proxy.php

Top notes of bergamot, lemon and lavender.
Heart notes of geranium, cinnamon, clove, vetiver and coriander.
Base notes of patchouli, sandalwood, amber, frankincense and tonka bean.

Not a bad scent and those who like incense (especially since it's similar to L'Occitane Eau des baux) they will take to this right away. To me the incense is very powerful. It is freshened by the vetiver and patchouli and maintains this earthy vibe also similar to Burberry London without the tobacco. The tonka sweetens it a little to keep it from being harsh. This will be fine all year round and especially in fall/winter. To me it's nowhere near as good as Guerlain Vetiver/Vetiver Extraordinaire/Encre Noire but for those who don't like those scents they may take to this one. The longevity is fantastic. It's decent and inoffensive but too boring for me.

+1 I really built this one up in my head and also found it inoffensive and quite boring. I love Guerlain Vetiver and Encre Noire also :thumbup1:

MPG Santal Noble

proxy.php

Top Notes: Coffee beans, spice oils, incense
Heart Notes: Sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla, vetiver
Base Notes: Ambegris, oakmoss, vanilla

This is a nice sandalwood (more woody like planks of wood than typical incense) sweetened with vanilla and an enjoyable ambergris. The opening is a bit harsh and very earthy but it softens to a nice exotic scent not unlike Timbuktu (but without the fruit). The sillage isn't great like Timbuktu but it probably would be a monster if it did project too much. If Indiana Jones didn't wear Knize Ten he would probably wear this. :lol: Very enjoyable and recommended for sandalwood and gourmand fans. Ambergris fans will also like how it dries down and how it plays with the vetiver and oakmoss to give it an outdoors character.

An amazing fragrance and one of my new favorites. My Lucky Scent vial is almost gone and then I'm on the hunt for a larger decant.

Chanel Sycomore

proxy.php

At the heart of the scent: Vetiver, with an elegant Sandalwood note and dashes of Cypress, Juniper and Pink Pepper, for an earthy, warm and enveloping, yet subtle presence. ~ Chanel site

Now this is a nice surprise. Great vetiver on par with Encre Noire but at the same time it's less harsh. This could be used year-round but most would like it for the late summer/fall/winter periods. The vetiver is very clear at the beginning but the nice juniper and cypress soften the experience. Very elegant. Think of Baie de Genievre by Creed mixed with Lalique Encre Noire. :biggrin1: The pepper spices it up just a little and it trails off in a smoky drydown. Shall I use the overused word "masterpiece"? Anyways it all blends so well. Definitely recommended, especially for those who already like Encre Noire.

Diptyque Tam Dao

proxy.php

Goa sandalwood, rosewood, cypress, ambergris

Surprisingly this is much lighter than I expected compared to Santal Noble. It's a nice fresh scent that doesn't overdo the smoky aspects of Sandalwood. Ambergris is definitely one of my favorite basenotes. It makes everything more like the outdoors and fresh. The tangy cypress adds another aspect I like. This is my favorite sandalwood I've tried so far. It's not perfect though. The sillage and longevity aren't as good as others for the price but scent, while it lasts, is truely wonderful.

Tauer Vetiver Dance

proxy.php

Top Notes: Grapefruit, Clary sage leaves, Black pepper, Lily of the valley
Middle Notes: Vetiver from Java
Base Notes: Cedarwood, Cistus, Ambergris, Tonka bean

Interesting mix of scents here. It starts off with great sillage. The greenness of the notes mixes well with the citrus, florals and spice. The tonka sweetens it. The vetiver is very grassy and is probably the closest I've smelled to actual grass, but the other notes add more freshness and depth. Once the wood enters the picture with the ambergris it gives an impression of the great outdoors. Very evocative and reminds me of grey skies in the summer. The sage leaves give some small similarity to Grey Flannel in the leafy aspect of the scent. The longevity (like Marocain) is very good. I like "grassy" and "leafy" scents so this is right up my alley, but there are probably those who won't get into it. Nonetheless Tauer is definitely an artist. :001_cool: Try before you buy.

Top Bottom