What's new

Random testflight reviews

Unfortunate for me the Creed Vintage Tabarome sample leaked completely by the time I got it. What little I could smell from the package is good and I can get some peppery citrus but hardly enough for a full review.

Onto Knize Ten

Last edited:
Creed Vintage Tabarome

proxy.php

Top notes: bergamot and citrus,
Middle note: pepper
Base notes: sandalwood, ambergris and pepper.

One thing I'll give Vintage Tabarome is that with a drop I'm still getting some scent going on so longevity and sillage must be at the top level. It's like a nice green super peppery citrus. Very unique and easily better than the new Creed Tabarome. VERY MANLY. The citrus and the pepper with the basenotes is what makes it so unique. It's almost like I'm smelling a chair at a peppery gourmand restaurant. I'll probably have to age another 20 years before I can pull this off. I'll also probably have to age before anything like this gets released again. I think what makes this a great scent for me is what reminds me of oakmoss in Grey Flannel. Fragrantica has it in the notes but others (including Creed) don't list it. The perfumed court says there's tobacco but it doesn't seem like the tobacco in the new Tabarome.

Last edited:
Knize Ten

proxy.php

Top notes: citric and fresh with petit grain, orange, lemon, rosemary and bergamot.
Middle notes: is the woody with cedar, patchouli and sandalwood, and floral - spicy with rose, iris, carnation, cinnamon and clove,
Base notes: leather base contains castor oil, ambergris, musk and moss.

Interesting smell. The first thing I noticed was that it reminded me of brussel sprouts. I think this is due to the sandalwood and leather working with the rose and rosemary. The large sillage gives off an image of an old powdery leather chair. It's definitely unique and it's obviously like Kouros in that some will love and some will hate. I'm actually on the fence. I like it well enough but I prefer Habit Rouge but if someone wants something even more masculine than Habit Rouge this would be it. It all mingles well together and I can guarantee most people won't smell like you.

Brussel sprout leather. :lol:

Ralph Lauren Safari for Men

proxy.php

Top notes are aldehydes, artemisia, coriander, lavender, green notes, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are cyclamen, carnation, cinnamon, tarragon, jasmine and rose; base notes are leather, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar.

Okay this smells just like a typical department store fragrance that you've ever smelled. It smells like a bad aquatic a la citrus neroli synthetic garbage. Stay away from this. The sillage is incredible and people will think you smell like a teenager with too much cheap cologne. What a come down from Vintage Tabarome.:lol:

Creed Vintage Tabarome

Top notes: bergamot and citrus,
Middle note: pepper
Base notes: sandalwood, ambergris and pepper.

One thing I'll give Vintage Tabarome is that with a drop I'm still getting some scent going on so longevity and sillage must be at the top level. It's like a nice green super peppery citrus. Very unique and easily better than the new Creed Tabarome. VERY MANLY. The citrus and the pepper with the basenotes is what makes it so unique. It's almost like I'm smelling a chair at a peppery gourmand restaurant. I'll probably have to age another 20 years before I can pull this off. I'll also probably have to age before anything like this gets released again. I think what makes this a great scent for me is what reminds me of oakmoss in Grey Flannel. Fragrantica has it in the notes but others (including Creed) don't list it. The perfumed court says there's tobacco but it doesn't seem like the tobacco in the new Tabarome.

Great review Vert. For me, I don't get tobacco with vintage tabarome. I am one of the few who don't. I love the juice, but for me, it is more leathery. I get an old yet pristine leather armchair straight from an ivy league campus libray, freshly polished with sort of a very light citrus glaze. Definitely masculine and as classy as you can possibly get. This should be the official fragrance of the white house.

Don't think you can pull it off? Put on your best suit and best shoes, spritz the vintage tabarome, and go out for a single malt scotch at the highest end lounge in town. You will pull off one of if not THE best Creeds ever made. And you will do it easily :001_smile

Don't think you can pull it off? Put on your best suit and best shoes, spritz the vintage tabarome, and go out for a single malt scotch at the highest end lounge in town. You will pull off one of if not THE best Creeds ever made. And you will do it easily :001_smile

:lol:

Route du Vetiver by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

proxy.php

Top Note: Blackcurrant, leafy green;
Middle Note: Bourbon vetiver, precious woods, jasmine;
Base Note: Sandalwood, musk

Fabulous blackcurrant top mixed with a green scent. This beats the berry scent of Creed's Silver Mountain Water for projection sillage. The sandalwood is promenent at the beginning and mixes well with the leafy green at the top. The fight between the blackcurrent berriness and the sandalwood and vetiver is like a clash of the titans. It's hard to see which will win. Together they give off a raw greeness and earthiness like that of Nicolai New York but even more EARTHY. It takes awhile for the vetiver to start winning the fight and when it does it's sweet and earthy. After that the woods come in it gives off more of a forest floor vibe and the jasmine makes this forest more magical. I like the berriness but I warn those who don't like berry. They will find this hard to wear in the opening notes. Make sure to wait for the drydown. If you want more green and citrus then go with Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire or Guerlain Vetiver. If you like Creed Silver Mountain Water or Nicolai New York then you should give this one a try. Also sandalwood lovers should try this because it's a good example of it. I think this great for colder weather but I can imagine this being a favorite in the early part of spring when the snow is beginning to thaw. I like vetiver extraordinaire more but for the price this is a great deal.

Burberry London

proxy.php

Top Notes: Bergamot, Lavender, Cinnamon leaves, Black pepper
Middle Notes: Mimosa Flower, Port wine, Leather notes
Base Notes: Guaiac wood, Oakmoss, Opoponax, Tobacco leaf

Off the top you get a little bergamot but much more mimosa fruit flower. Also leather and tobacco make their appearance quickly and last. This is not a bad department store scent and the longevity is very good. To me this is mainly a fall and especially winter scent. The tobacco leaves seem really realistic and mimosa last awhile. The port wine adds sweetness to the mimosa and on the drydown you end up smelling like an old wooden chest or humidor. It'll be too synthetic for experienced connoisseurs but most people will find it pleasant.

Xerjoff Oroville:

" Oroville opens with top notes of Roman Chamomile and Clary Sage. Rich floral heart notes of Orange Flowers and Italian Neroli wrapped in Carnation and Tobacco leaves from Cuba. Base notes made of precious Sandal wood from Mysore, Galbanum and Vanilla, Amber, white Musks."

I wore this for the first time today (from a sample). This is a very pleasant if somewhat safe fragrance. The chamomile really dominates at the outset with a background of sage, neroli and tobacco. I expected more of the tobacco scent and wish it was less subdued here. It smelled of a light wrapper and wasn't smokey or dirty at all. The sillage is decent and I got a good 6-8 hours from it. I did get a couple of unprompted comments today on how good I smelled. I enjoyed it and would consider purchasing it at a more reasonable price. Unfortunately, it runs about $345 for 50 ml. At this price point, I expect more than enjoyable and safe. Here, I expect exciting, bold, challenging fragrances or something where the quality blows me away.

Lalique Encre Noire

proxy.php

No top notes
Middle Notes: Haitian Vetiver, Vetiver Bourbon, Cypress Wood
Base Notes: Musk, Cashmere Wood

I grab the cube (a cool 2001 Obelisk looking thing) and spray on the renowned fragrance. Off the bat you get the best tangy wet vetiver scent you can get. I think the cypress wood adds the sharpness to the vetiver. The cashmere wood is interesting in that it's a little minerally in scent like a rock or matches with wood. Some may be reminded of pepper instead. The musk keeps it going all day. The scent is lasting while being close to the skin after a few minutes. This is more comparable to vetiver extraordinaire in scent but with still some big differences. VE has citrus and moves to wood, where as EN is more simple but elegent. VE also has larger sillage but EN could be used in an office environment no problem. For price this is the best vetiver I've tried and here ends my vetiver journey.

Last edited:
Lalique Encre Noire

proxy.php

No top notes
Middle Notes: Haitian Vetiver, Vetiver Bourbon, Cypress Wood
Base Notes: Musk, Cashmere Wood

I grab the cube (a cool 2001 Obelisk looking thing) and spray on the renowned fragrance. Off the bat you get the best tangy wet vetiver scent you can get. I think the cypress wood adds the sharpness to the vetiver. The cashmere wood is interesting in that it's a little minerally in scent like a rock or matches with wood. Some may be reminded of pepper instead. The musk keeps it going all day. The scent is lasting while being close to the skin after a few minutes. This is more comparable to vetiver extraordinaire in scent but with still some big differences. VE has citrus and moves to wood, where as ER is more simple but elegent. VE also has larger sillage but ER could be used in an office environment no problem. For price this is the best vetiver I've tried and here ends my vetiver journey.

I couldn't agree more, ER ended my Vetiver journey as well. I tried a few Vetiver's before ER and I've tried a few since ER. I will still keep a few decants of other Vetiver's around just for a bit of variety but I can't see anything replacing ER any time soon. :thumbup1:

Guerlain Coriolan

proxy.php

Top Notes: Lemon Tree Leaves, Bergamot
Middle Notes: Juniper, Absinthe, Coriander, Nutmeg
Base Notes: Oakmoss, Patchouli, Everlasting Flower

Interesting surprise. This is similar to other fragrances but fits it's own niche. When first sprayed on the lemon and bergamot are harsh and chemical. When you put your wrist away and let it develop you get a leaves smell similar to Yatagan but more subtle and more citrusy. The juniper appears and warms it up. On the drydown the oakmoss adds more of an outdoorsy scent. Basically if you find Yatagan too strong and too centered on cold weather then this is for you. If you find Creed's Baie de Genievre too strong on juniper then this one is for you. I feel it can be worn year-round no problem because of the citrus. Very elegant.

I couldn't agree more, ER ended my Vetiver journey as well. I tried a few Vetiver's before ER and I've tried a few since ER. I will still keep a few decants of other Vetiver's around just for a bit of variety but I can't see anything replacing ER any time soon. :thumbup1:

I think I'll wear it in cool weather and in wet rainy cloudy days.

Received a few more decants from Mudassir. Did a tiny spritz up and down each arm of some of them. Initial impressions:

Creed Windsor - very clean, very nice, but smells like Bounce dryer sheets to me.

Czech & Speake No. 88 - a bit over-the-top for me, perhaps because of the frangipani. I think I caught a motor oil note in there as well. Sillage monster.

La via del Profumo Balsamo della Mecca - so far I get a ambery burning incense. I'll be wearing this to my meditation group later today for a closer look.

Le Labo Rose 31 - beautiful, well-stated rose. some soft woods, vetiver, and the cumin keeping it grounded. I'm getting some very fond scent memory but can't pinpoint the origin. I am very much liking this one!

Nasomatto Hindu Grass parfum extrait - I get a very green, grass juice smell so far. I've read fresh patchouli leaves in this. Fresh green grass/hay/herbs, very interesting. *Edit*: This one turned into a patchouli-laden hippie fest.

Montale Patchouli Leaves - will try this later.
Etro Vetiver - will try this later.

Last edited:
Received a few more decants from Mudassir. Did a tiny spritz up and down each arm of some of them. Initial impressions:

Creed Windsor - very clean, very nice, but smells like Bounce dryer sheets to me.

Czech & Speake No. 88 - a bit over-the-top for me, perhaps because of the frangipani. I think I caught a motor oil note in there as well. Sillage monster.

La via del Profumo Balsamo della Mecca - so far I get a ambery burning incense. I'll be wearing this to my meditation group later today for a closer look.

Le Labo Rose 31 - beautiful, well-stated rose. some soft woods, vetiver, and the cumin keeping it grounded. I'm getting some very fond scent memory but can't pinpoint the origin. I am very much liking this one!

Nasomatto Hindu Grass parfum extrait - I get a very green, grass juice smell so far. I've read fresh patchouli leaves in this. Fresh green grass/hay/herbs, very interesting. *Edit*: This one turned into a patchouli-laden hippie fest.

Montale Patchouli Leaves - will try this later.
Etro Vetiver - will try this later.

Good notes! Not that I agree with you on every scent.

<Czech & Speake No. 88 - a bit over-the-top for me, perhaps because of the frangipani.>

I would say that frangipani is definitely a part of the over the topness of 88.

<Montale Patchouli Leaves - will try this later.>

I really want to hear about this one. I am intrigued by it.

<Le Labo Rose 31 >

I really like this scent, too. But I do not find much actual rose in it!

<La via del Profumo Balsamo della Mecca - so far I get a ambery burning incense. I'll be wearing this to my meditation group later today for a closer look.>

I like a scent one can wear to one's mediation group!

Stopped in Lucky Scent's Scent Bar on way home tonight to try a couple of their leather offerings.

First up was Charles Street by Mark Birley which is a new offering.

Initial opening notes channel scotch whiskey like nothing I've ever smelled. It's as though you spilled some fine scotch on your wrist. Dead on to my nose. Then it shifts into a leather scent very much to my nose like TF Tuscan Leather. But over the past hour, it has faded more than Tuscan Leather would.

At $125 for 125ml, it's a bargain if you find Tuscan Leather too pricey. The scotch opening, while not long lasting might also be preferable to many over the sort of quirky rasberry beginning to TL. Worth a sniff if you like leather scents. Manly stuff. For me, it's too similar to TL to consider a bottle, but it is nice.

Also tried Cuir - Les Nombres d’Or, a bit of an unorthodox leather scent. Found it more intriguing. Very, very smokey with a bit of animalic. A much more avant garde treatment of leather. I like it, but don't think I could pull it off.

BTW, they are still out of Knize 10 and Steven the SA told they have a huge back log of orders for it.

Good notes! Not that I agree with you on every scent.

<Montale Patchouli Leaves - will try this later.>
I really want to hear about this one. I am intrigued by it.

Thanks, Robbie! Yeah, sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with my sniffer when a frag which garners many accolades just doesn't do it for me. i.e., Creed Windsor. Maybe it's just some deep scent association particular to me. I guess if it were not for YMMV, we would all have the exact same thing to say about all of these frags :001_smile
I did a test run the Montale Patchouli Leaves, and was very pleased! The sweet notes of amber and vanilla really smooth out the sharp edges that can be found with patchouli. Soft, dark, warm and with an earthly richness. Definitely a winner. :thumbup:

Stopped in Lucky Scent's Scent Bar on way home tonight...

Oh, how I envy you! I finally got around to checking out Lucky Scent's website, and went a little crazy on the samples page :w00t:
The wonderful thing about Lucky Scent, is that going a little crazy on their samples page only put me out $53, and now I look forward to trying some oft-discussed frags as well as a few obscurities :thumbup:
Soon come:
Amouage Dia Man
Amouage Epic Man
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Avignon
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Jaisalmer
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Kyoto
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Ouarzazate
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Zagorsk
Comme des Garcons Wonderwood
Comme des Garcons x Monocle Hinoki
Divine L'homme Sage
Mazzolari Lui
Montale Full Incense
Montale Red Vetyver
Odori Tabacco
PARFUMS DE NICOLAI New York
Susanne Lang Tamboti Wood

Thanks for all your helpful comments and reviews, StylinLA!

Soon come:
Amouage Dia Man
Amouage Epic Man
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Avignon
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Jaisalmer
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Kyoto
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Ouarzazate
Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense Zagorsk
Comme des Garcons Wonderwood
Comme des Garcons x Monocle Hinoki
Divine L'homme Sage
Mazzolari Lui
Montale Full Incense
Montale Red Vetyver
Odori Tabacco
PARFUMS DE NICOLAI New York
Susanne Lang Tamboti Wood

I only know PdN New York and it's classic.

My "coming soon" samples are:

Profumum Acqua di Sale
The Different Company Sel de Vetiver
i Profumi di Firenze Brezza di Mare
Il Profumo Aria di Mare
Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba

If I don't like any of the above aquatics then I'm done with aquatics. :lol:

I only know PdN New York and it's classic.

My "coming soon" samples are:

Profumum Acqua di Sale
The Different Company Sel de Vetiver
i Profumi di Firenze Brezza di Mare
Il Profumo Aria di Mare
Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba

If I don't like any of the above aquatics then I'm done with aquatics. :lol:

I really look forward to hearing about Acqua di Sale. Supposed to pretty intense "oceanic" experience. Profumum uses some top notch ingredients- I know that much.

Top Bottom