What's new

Random testflight reviews

I'm going to use this thread for my fragrance sample reviews. It will be more random than particular houses to add some variety (especially for myself). Creed is great but the world of fragrances goes farther than Creed.

This is also for those who like to put together full fragrance notes and reviews of their favorite and new fragrances they've bought or sampled. Feel free to add your notes because I'll will miss some good fragrances that are out there.

Okay I'll start with:

Terre d'Hermès, EdT

proxy.php

grapefruit, orange, flint, pepper, pink pepper, geranium, patchouli, cedar, vetiver, benzoin.

The citrus is pretty upfront. There is grapefruit but I actually smell a bit more orange. I can definitely smell a kind of "rock" "mineral" smell that must be the flint and pepper. The cedar is REALLY good on this one and as it dries down the vetiver and patchouli really freshens it up. This for me is a good fall/winter scent but as usual YMMV. I would say 2 to 3 sprays on each arm is good. The longevity on me is at least a few hours. I haven't tried the Parfum but the EdT strength is plenty for me. I get waves of goodness flying towards me with 2 sprays. You could probably wear this at the office but I think it strongly leans towards golfing, special occasions and an evening out. I don't wear scents to the office because I don't want great scents to remind me of the office. :laugh: I normally don't gravitate towards orange scents but this is up there with the best I've tried including Creed Citrus Bigarrade or Orange Spice. The flint, pepper, and cedar spice it up and the patchouli and vetiver add a freshness to it.

Consider making these into an "official" review under the reviews section. You have a good nose and write evocatively and well. I really like the idea of this thread and I do not want to discourage posts here. Just make them a little more prominent and lasting by picking things said here in the reviews, too!

I personally love Terre D'Hermes. I really do not think of it as grapefruit, but more a generic citrus and great wood. Such an easy to like masculine scent.

I personally love Terre D'Hermes. I really do not think of it as grapefruit, but more a generic citrus and great wood. Such an easy to like masculine scent.

I've read numerous great reviews of TdH on different sites and finally bit the bullet and ordered some. I'm really jazzed to get my grubby paws on it, although I missed UPS today while I was at work and will have to wait until Monday now. :huh:

Be seeing you.

TdH is a perfect example of how a "designer" can put out a very well regarded scent.

This one is probably considered one of the few released since 2000 that is destined to become a classic.

Wow I just got 40% off Bois du Portugal (Creed), 50% off Grey Flannel, and 25% off on Le Vainqueur. If the SA at this local store wasn't twice my age I would marry her. :blushing:

Okay here goes:

Le Vainqueur EdP by Rance 1795

Top notes nutmeg, ginger, melon, citruses and watermelon
Middle notes lavender, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and geranium
Base notes are leather, iris, amber and musk

Amazing stuff! The melon is juicy and delicious at the beginning but not overdone. The nutmeg really reins those fruit scents in to keep it balanced. Once the florals come in it becomes magic. The basenotes are all subtle because the iris and amber mix well with the leather and musk. Gorgeous and long lasting on me. It's almost like a floral melon potato starch powdery scent that's an example of a good french scent. The only complaint is that it's a little hard to remove the top off the atomizer otherwise I'm totally satisified.

Grey Flannel

Top Notes
Violet, Lemon, Orange.

Middle Notes
Oakmoss

Base Notes
Sandalwood

This one wowed me from beginning to end. The opening notes give you a fabric greenlike scent (Flannel maybe?). The violet really takes the lemon and orange and makes seem like fabric. The oakmoss sends you on a green ride for a while and the sandalwood is light and enjoyable. This is comparable to Creeds Green Valley but I prefer Grey Flannel. Anyone who likes Grey Flannel should give Green Valley a shot if they haven't done so already. This is long lasting and classic. I feel like this is for people who like old fashioned and classic scents like Old Spice or Green Irish Tweed. This is like some "pant wearing, tie wearing, Mad Men 50s kind of guy" man's scent.

Last edited:
Great notes, as usual. Is the discount available to anyone but sorrowfully too young potential suitors? If so, details (store, location, secret password, etc.) please!! :biggrin1:

I have always really liked Grey Flannel, to the point that at one time I was sick of it. But I got over that. An absolute classic to me. Bold. To some extent in your face. I really cannot believe it is as popular it is/was. There are aspects of it that could make it a difficult scent! Bowling Green is nearly as good and seems more accessible to me, so I do not understand why it was not more popular/very popular. (Eau de Grey Flannel not nearly so good and strangely so different with a similar and confusing name!)

Wow I just got 40% off Bois du Portugal (Creed), 50% off Grey Flannel, and 25% off on Le Vainqueur. If the SA at this local store wasn't twice my age I would marry her. :blushing:

Okay here goes:

Le Vainqueur EdP by Rance 1795

Top notes nutmeg, ginger, melon, citruses and watermelon
Middle notes lavender, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and geranium
Base notes are leather, iris, amber and musk

Amazing stuff! The melon is juicy and delicious at the beginning but not overdone. The nutmeg really reins those fruit scents in to keep it balanced. Once the florals come in it becomes magic. The basenotes are all subtle because the iris and amber mix well with the leather and musk. Gorgeous and long lasting on me. It's almost like a floral melon potato starch powdery scent that's an example of a good french scent. The only complaint is that it's a little hard to remove the top off the atomizer otherwise I'm totally satisified.

Grey Flannel

Top Notes
Violet, Lemon, Orange.

Middle Notes
Oakmoss

Base Notes
Sandalwood

This one wowed me from beginning to end. The opening notes give you a fabric greenlike scent (Flannel maybe?). The violet really takes the lemon and orange and makes seem like fabric. The oakmoss sends you on a green ride for a while and the sandalwood is light and enjoyable. This is comparable to Creeds Green Valley but I prefer Grey Flannel. Anyone who likes Grey Flannel should give Green Valley a shot if they haven't done so already. This is long lasting and classic. I feel like this is for people who like old fashioned and classic scents like Old Spice or Green Irish Tweed. This is like some "pant wearing, tie wearing, Mad Men 50s kind of guy" man's scent.

Great notes, as usual. Is the discount available to anyone but sorrowfully too young potential suitors? If so, details (store, location, secret password, etc.) please!! :biggrin1:

Those discounts were because some people ordered those fragrances and didn't bother to pick them up. That's good for me.

Her website is:

http://www.carmelasprofumeria.com/

It's super small and she's looking for a different location at the moment but I guess you could call her to see if she delivers. There's a lot more fragrances than what is posted on her website. It's in Canadian dollars and just ask her what's for sale at 50% off and 25% etc.

Thought I'd add on to this, as I like the idea, and I don't think I'm experienced enough to be offering full-on reviews of these things.

Just received a dozen or so 1.5ml spray decants from TPC. First up is Cartier Declaration.

Basenotes describes:
Top Notes: Birchwood, Bergamot, Bitter Orange.
Middle Notes: Juniper wood, Artemesia, Cardamom.
Cedarwood, Vetiver, Oakmoss

I'd call this a soft, complex, citrusy wood scent. There's a persistent earthiness, which I assume is the cardamom. It's not dirty or pulsating, and works well with the bitter citrus and light woods. Feels extremely classy. I don't really know how to describe this, but I wonder if I've picked the wrong scent to sit down and watch college football with. I really enjoy it, however, and look forward to seeing what the wife thinks.

:thumbup1:Thanks keep adding to the thread and also look into the "reviews" part of the site and add it there as well. With more notes from samples we can cover a larger amount of scents so we can choose our samples more carefully. There are so many fragrances so only the "WOW I LOVE THIS" ones are worth buying bottles of.

Last edited:
Thought I'd add on to this, as I like the idea, and I don't think I'm experienced enough to be offering full-on reviews of these things.

Just received a dozen or so 1.5ml spray decants from TPC. First up is Cartier Declaration.

Basenotes describes:
Top Notes: Birchwood, Bergamot, Bitter Orange.
Middle Notes: Juniper wood, Artemesia, Cardamom.
Cedarwood, Vetiver, Oakmoss

I'd call this a soft, complex, citrusy wood scent. There's a persistent earthiness, which I assume is the cardamom. It's not dirty or pulsating, and works well with the bitter citrus and light woods. Feels extremely classy. I don't really know how to describe this, but I wonder if I've picked the wrong scent to sit down and watch college football with. I really enjoy it, however, and look forward to seeing what the wife thinks.

I really like this juice, and SWMBO liked it even more than I. Unfortunately, it has very short longevity for me...

Today, I tried Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur

Starts out with a bright, light, and almost (stressing almost) sweet burst. The bergamot and violet leaf opening reminds me of fresh, raw honeysuckle. After an hour and a half, there is a honeyed brightness that remains. It's turning into a bright, mossy leather. Really wearable, in an unexpected way. Upon smelling, it wasn't something I would've expected to enjoy. After wearing, I like it quite a bit.

Anyone else use this? Any comparables? Just saw the cost. Phew.

Up today is Chanel PM, original.

Opens with a strong and clear sweet-ish lemon scent, which pretty quickly dissipates. A little synthetic, but smoothes out fast. There's a little bit of cinnamon in the middle, but not half as much as the Concentree. Lithe, but deep. Basenotes says there's cedarwood here, and if so, it's much less astringent than I'm used to. Settles into a kind of mossy warmth. Much less deep than L'homme Sage*, but more... composed? There's an assertiveness that has nothing to do with the scent's strength (which, I think, is pretty weak). I like it, but don't know how much, exactly. Definitely classy.

Btw, still trying to wrap my head around L'homme Sage. Review will need to happen after more wearing. Wife wasn't amazed by it, but I think I am. I'm going to try it again soon, see what she says.

Acqua di parma Cipresso di Toscana

proxy.php

Top notes are rosemary, basil, grapefruit, sage and petit grain;

middle notes are pine tree, coriander, lavender, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and cardamom;

base notes are cypress, silver pine, patchouli, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.

Right away I'm getting that strong rosemary I notice in Cool Water and basil which dominate the citrus. Very fresh smelling but close to the skin. After awhile the floral and lavender kick in. The pine is ever present and eventually the other woods show up. This is a nice fragrance and could be used daily and kind of reminds me of a "sport" type scent the farther you are from the scent. It's nice but a pass for me. It's nothing compared to Creed Cypres-Musc and the pine is closer to floor cleaner than to Creed Windsor. I think to enjoy it you would have to add more sprays. I'm pretty sure I would be tired of it after a few wearings. I think it's the patchouli/pine/rosemary that offends here. You can barely smell the vetiver when up close. Creed Bois du Portugal has a better Cedar as well. Another better realistic pine would be Creed Epicea. I think narrowing down the notes would help the scent. The people who would like this the most would be into SPORT scents. This is the kind of thing I would smell in the locker-room in the gym.

Acqua di Parma Colonia

proxy.php

bergamot, lemon, bitter orange, sweet orange, lavender, rose, verbena, clary sage, rosemary, cedarwood, patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, and oakmoss

It starts off with a very realistic citrus (especially lemon) and some nice florals start creeping in (especially rose). They blend together almost like a lemon candy rose and the lavender balances them out. This is perfect for good weather. I think Creed Citrus Bigarrade is the direct competitor for this one since both have floral notes competing with the citrus. The Creed is slightly more orange and the Colonia is more lemon. The lemon is long lasting compared to most. Here's an example where the rosemary and patchouli help instead of hinder. The drydown wood is more powdery like and clean laundry like than woody but not unpleasant. I probably like Creed Citrus Bigarrade a little more but not much more. Everyone who hasn't sampled it should. Like most citrus scents it won't go much farther than a couple of hours before the florals and herbal drydown continue for the rest of the show. The price is better than the Creed so you wouldn't be missing much if you went with this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom