What's new

Random Rainy Day Ramblings - Two Months On

Howdy all,

I’ve been doing the traditional wet shave for about two months now and here are a few observations.

I am astounded that I’m 48 years old and I’m only now learning the proper way to prepare my face, execute a shave and recover my face afterwards. How can so much wisdom have disappeared from our common awareness so quickly? I don’t want to turn political but I’m betting that the decrease in fathers raising their children combined with the profitability of Big Shaving selling a new magic cure rather than teaching the fundamentals are at fault. DE shaver or not, every man needs to understand the fundamentals of prep, execution and recovery. It certainly would have saved me much pain over the past 30 years.

The very best advice I’ve gotten so far is this “Shave the lather, not the beard”. I’ve watched too many videos and read too many posts to know who to attribute it to but that advice changed my shaving forever. I had heard things like; “don’t use too much pressure”, “don’t press too hard” and “use a light touch”. Still, my first two shaves were a mess. That’s when I hit on “shave the lather, not the beard” and it finally sunk in.

One of my most amazing discoveries, so far, has been the Alum Block. I use it after each now. Why isn’t this product sold next to every razor / blade display in every store? Again, I believe that it would have helped save me from a lot of pain over the years.

Lastly, I watched videos and read posts here for about a year (on and off) before I finally pulled the trigger. I couldn’t believe that anyone viewed shaving as a hobby and actually enjoyed it. I was intrigued and finally won over when I realized that for me the draw was a combination of cool toys, a genuinely better shave and becoming a student then finally a master of the masculine art of shavology.

Totally agree, I started last year at age 54 after 20+ years using an electric bc cartridges butchered my face. I sort of stumbled into wet shaving and it changed my grooming life for good. So grateful.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Congratulations on the shaving progress, thanks for sharing your observations. We love to hear updates.

I also think a reason we got away from wet shaving is time. We live in such a fast paced world that noone seems to have enough time in the day. The standard cartridge razor has allowed people to get in and out in 3-5 minutes. I used to hate shaving so much that I didnt shave. I used a beard and mustache trimmer with no guard and went over my face. For about 10 years I had a permanent 5 o'clock shadow. I joined this forum I think like 2-3 days after purchasing my first straight razor which was less than a month ago. I now love shaving. As a matter of fact I try to shave every day. I just love it so much. I go in the bathroom put on my As I Lay Dying playlist and relax. And yes I can relax with hard heavy music. I take my time and just enjoy it. With all of the medical issues I have been going through ive been dealing with depression and shaving is the one thing I look forward to every day. Besides getting to spend time with my fiance that is what brings me happiness. I just love this just wish I could get things like all of you. Today I found lime shave cream from Evelyn and Crabtree and was excited to try something new. I think that is the best part of wet shaving. There is just so much out there to try and enjoy you don't have time to get bored with it.

In 1966 my father gave me a used Tech, told me to lather up with Ivory, and to carefully drag the razor on my face. It was years before I learned much of anything. The good old days were not magical. Today there is all this kit + shaving videos.

Thank you all for the congratulations and applause :001_cool:

Mac,
You bring up an excellent point! What we’re calling “Traditional Wet Shaving” is really a combination of traditional methods & tools and modern science & luxury. Each of us decides how much of each he partakes.
:001_cool:

In 1966 my father gave me a used Tech, told me to lather up with Ivory, and to carefully drag the razor on my face. It was years before I learned much of anything. The good old days were not magical. Today there is all this kit + shaving videos.

Welcome aboard. I am in the exact same boat @ 43. I just started 2 months ago. I have been doing it wrong for 20+ years, too.

Howdy all,

I’ve been doing the traditional wet shave for about two months now and here are a few observations.

I am astounded that I’m 48 years old and I’m only now learning the proper way to prepare my face, execute a shave and recover my face afterwards. How can so much wisdom have disappeared from our common awareness so quickly? I don’t want to turn political but I’m betting that the decrease in fathers raising their children combined with the profitability of Big Shaving selling a new magic cure rather than teaching the fundamentals are at fault. DE shaver or not, every man needs to understand the fundamentals of prep, execution and recovery. It certainly would have saved me much pain over the past 30 years.

The very best advice I’ve gotten so far is this “Shave the lather, not the beard”. I’ve watched too many videos and read too many posts to know who to attribute it to but that advice changed my shaving forever. I had heard things like; “don’t use too much pressure”, “don’t press too hard” and “use a light touch”. Still, my first two shaves were a mess. That’s when I hit on “shave the lather, not the beard” and it finally sunk in.

One of my most amazing discoveries, so far, has been the Alum Block. I use it after each now. Why isn’t this product sold next to every razor / blade display in every store? Again, I believe that it would have helped save me from a lot of pain over the years.

Lastly, I watched videos and read posts here for about a year (on and off) before I finally pulled the trigger. I couldn’t believe that anyone viewed shaving as a hobby and actually enjoyed it. I was intrigued and finally won over when I realized that for me the draw was a combination of cool toys, a genuinely better shave and becoming a student then finally a master of the masculine art of shavology.

Welcome and it's never too late lol.

On a sad note, there are kids today that don't know how to use a broom or how to light a match lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom