What's new

Ramen vs. Pho

Ramen or Pho?

• Ramen

• Pho

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ramen at least the instant kind is unhealthy to eat. All that wax and MSG... Much unhealthy o_O
I've always loved Pho but I prefer the spicier Pad Thai. I have never tried real Ramen though. How do the rest of you pronounce Ramen? Raw-men or Ray-men?

I love pho, but if they will substitute egg noodles for rice noodles - and some places will - I love it more.

Once I bought some instant, powdered pho broth mix back in San Jose at some Vietnamese grocery - blech...

-jim

Ramen at least the instant kind is unhealthy to eat. All that wax and MSG... Much unhealthy o_O
I've always loved Pho but I prefer the spicier Pad Thai. I have never tried real Ramen though. How do the rest of you pronounce Ramen? Raw-men or Ray-men?

I've always heard it pronounced, Raw-mi-en.

Although I love pad thai, and thai food in general, I don't see its connection to pho.

Last edited:
Japanese pronounce it "Rah men" rah being pronounced like "bra"

And I'm having a delicious miso chashu on this cold evening

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388398767.923371.jpg

Senshi - you probably get excellent Japanese food over there. I've always thought about visiting, but I'd be afraid of not knowing what I was ordering and really afraid of some of the more exotic seafoods. No urchin, raw octopus, or ama ebi for me, thank you!

I'd probably be inhaling buckets of noodles with beef/pork/chicken/tofu and bowls of miso soup with rice . . .

Senshi - you probably get excellent Japanese food over there. I've always thought about visiting, but I'd be afraid of not knowing what I was ordering and really afraid of some of the more exotic seafoods. No urchin, raw octopus, or ama ebi for me, thank you!

I'd probably be inhaling buckets of noodles with beef/pork/chicken/tofu and bowls of miso soup with rice . . .

You make it up to Sendai (Southern Tohoku) and you got yourself a place to stay!

I'll gladly translate for booze :a17:

You make it up to Sendai (Southern Tohoku) and you got yourself a place to stay!

I'll gladly translate for booze :a17:

Thanks for the offer! Depending on the cost of a hostel vs alcohol in Japan . . . I can see a sommelier (or whatever they call wine/sake experts in Japan) coming out with a menu consisting of a single slab of amethyst engraved with platinum kanji atop a bed of unspun silk just to order the "Mt. Fuji 5 century sake" for a mere ten thousand yen. :laugh:

I voted pho because my city is awash in amazing pho. I love both pretty equally.

With pho the more nasty bits in it the better.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I will soon have Pho. I convinced my wife that she needs to take her friend out to lunch. She is Laotion and Vietnamese (and very easy on the eyes), and knows Little Saigon (Haltom City, TX) like the back of her hand. Come on pay day (15th)

Legion

Staff member
I had a pretty awesome Malaysian hotpot noodle soup the other day. Shredded marinated port, egg, veggies, possibly some sort of entrails... It was pretty damn tasty. Pho here is on every corner (huge Vietnamese community in Melbourne). Lots of Ramen and Udon as well.

A good clay hotpot? Win!

You completely lost me at "entrails" . . . although shredded marinated port definitely sounds interesting. I assume it tastes much like pork? :thumbup:

Legion

Staff member
It tasted like herbs, spices, a fair bit of garlic, coriander... good stuff. As far as the "mystery meat", hey, when in Rome....

Don't ask too many questions if it is tasty.

I feel like most people voting for pho have not had real ramen. I like both and I've had excellent pho but pork belly ramen does the trick for me.

Top Bottom