What's new

Ralf Bites; Mappin Doesn't

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When I draw blood while shaving, I use to use words that this forum censure. I now just say "ay kabayo". It easily just rolls off the tongue and gives the same relief to me as the other words that I use to use.

The phase is Tagalog (Filipino) meaning "oh my horse".

Are they nicks or are they cuts? A nick being a small area that bleeds whereas a cut is a longer thin line that bleeds, basically a slice. I think most of us get nicks even after several hundred shaves. Cuts probably shouldn't be a regularly thing, unless your technique is particularly lacking.

Hi @Sukeroku I would call them nicks. I think I’ve had 1 cut in the past 2 months.

Can someone tell me what a “weeper” is? I see that a lot in the posts, but not really sure what it is.

Are they nicks or are they cuts? A nick being a small area that bleeds whereas a cut is a longer thin line that bleeds, basically a slice. I think most of us get nicks even after several hundred shaves. Cuts probably shouldn't be a regularly thing, unless your technique is particularly lacking.

Hi @Sukeroku I would call them nicks. I think I’ve had 1 cut in the past 2 months.

Can someone tell me what a “weeper” is? I see that a lot in the posts, but not really sure what it is.

A "weeper" to my understanding is a cut or nick that bleeds profusely. It is when the blood runs down your face like tears.

I used the Ralf Aust again today. No blade-length cuts today. 🎉 There was once when I thought I came in at too steep an angle, but it didn't break skin this time. Whew!

After the first pass, I thought I'd try across the grain. My hand was actually trembling as I began. That's never happened before. I guess the previous cuts have made me really nervous. I only had a tiny nick under the nose as I was shaving east to west.

While I was working on the left side of the neck, I got most of it done, but towards the outside, the blade was skipping a bit, and I was getting too nervous about cutting myself, so I just stopped there. Good enough.

Strangely enough, I did cut myself...on my finger! Don't ask me how. I didn't even notice it until I was wiping the lather on the washcloth, and I saw blood. My first assumption was it was from the little nick under the nose. But there was blood there the next time I went to wipe my blade, and then I saw it was from my finger. I really have no idea how it happened. As I said, I didn't even notice or feel it whenever it happened.

Finally I shaved with my Ralf Aust with no cuts or blood. I did two passes. North to south on face and neck, east/west on face, and south to north on my neck. I thought I might try for a third, horizontal across the neck, but then I thought I’ll stop while I’m ahead. I think I’ll watch videos again of people shaving the neck before I try going sideways to get an idea of the technique. I decided I deserved a reward. 😁 🥃

85184E13-1D7A-4998-BC09-6EEFFBB5A617.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I used the Ralf Aust again today. No blade-length cuts today. 🎉 There was once when I thought I came in at too steep an angle, but it didn't break skin this time. Whew!

After the first pass, I thought I'd try across the grain. My hand was actually trembling as I began. That's never happened before. I guess the previous cuts have made me really nervous. I only had a tiny nick under the nose as I was shaving east to west.

While I was working on the left side of the neck, I got most of it done, but towards the outside, the blade was skipping a bit, and I was getting too nervous about cutting myself, so I just stopped there. Good enough.

Strangely enough, I did cut myself...on my finger! Don't ask me how. I didn't even notice it until I was wiping the lather on the washcloth, and I saw blood. My first assumption was it was from the little nick under the nose. But there was blood there the next time I went to wipe my blade, and then I saw it was from my finger. I really have no idea how it happened. As I said, I didn't even notice or feel it whenever it happened.
I meant a damp sponge. Spell check must have misunderstood my typo - sorry

My understanding is that a "weeper" is where the skin is damaged such that it only oozes small droplets of blood.

Obviously others have a completely different interpretation.
My understanding is the same as yours, I describe it as a graze like injury. Where you've been a bit heavy handed or wrong angle and taken off the top layer of skin and you get spots of blood appear but soon stops with a bit of lather on it.

I've watched Chimensch's video 10 times already. Amazing video. It appears he carefully avoids the edge from coming into contact with the sponge. At the end, he's wiping the whole blade clean with his towel but the edge has to be touching it. It's amazing he's got a whole brick of cella and seems to skimp on soap. That brick will last him 50 years at this rate.

Top Bottom