What's new

Ralf Bites; Mappin Doesn't

I've discovered using the Ralf Aust hollow grind is more dangerous than using the vintage Mappin & Webb near wedge. During my shave today with the Aust, I was being careful, but that edge is just so danged sharp that if it hits the skin at too steep an angle (and it doesn't have to be all that steep), it's going in. Now, it wasn't a deep cut, but where the blade touches, there is a raised red line. It bled a little bit but stopped before I was done with the shave. I'm getting to the point where I'm afraid to use this razor. I still have two visible lines healing up from two weeks ago. I'll have to start going by Scarface.

Is there a trick to using a hollow grind?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Basically, the sharper the edge, the shallower the angle. The term ”sharper the edge" includes bevel angle. My Revisor 6-0035 has a more acute bevel angle than most of my other SR's, although they all feel just as sharp. If I don't use a shallower angle with the Revisor it bites.

If you have a vernier you can measure the bevel angle of your SR's.

Sounds like an angle/pressure issue. IMHO different grinds behave differently. I switch SR's every
three to four shaves. When I use a razor that I have not shaved with for awhile I use less pressure
and a shallower angle until I find the sweet spot for that razor. Err on the side of caution.

It's not the tool, it's the user...

Even with a bunch of shaves on other razors, it took me a while to get used to the Aust. That full hollow edge moves and bends in ways that thicker grinds do not. However, once I got more used to it, I liked the extra measure of control, and the closeness I could get. It feels as though it can surf the skin curvature more closely, if I am doing my part.

I'm certainly noticing how temperamental a beast those hollow grinds can be as I transition from my Feather AC SS to a Dovo Bismark. The blade seems so much larger and unwieldy right now but I'm slowly getting control over it. I found that placing the blade flat then opening it up 1/2 to 1 spine width with each stroke, particularly when going under the jawline, really helps.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Remember the satisfaction that you experienced developing your technique for the Feather AC SS? You will have a similar experience with your traditional SR.

Remember the satisfaction that you experienced developing your technique for the Feather AC SS? You will have a similar experience with your traditional SR.

One thing I noticed is that starting with the AC was a little easier since I could get lazy and open up my wrist and steepen the angle but still get a decent shave. Opening up my wrist with a real SR is an invitation to bleed!

One thing I noticed is that starting with the AC was a little easier since I could get lazy and open up my wrist and steepen the angle but still get a decent shave. Opening up my wrist with a real SR is an invitation to bleed!

It is indeed. Shaving with a straight razor means constant concentration. That's actually one of the appealing things about it. It's a moment in your day when you cannot attend to anything else, only that edge against your skin.

I have the impression that this is part of why mountain climbers do what they do. Having a moment of total concentration is actually relaxing for your day. At least we shavers only risk losing some blood. Yeah, in theory, we could open up a critical artery and bleed out, but that doesn't ever seem to happen to anyone, and it certainly would not happen at the angles we're all supposed to use.

If I don't use a shallower angle with the Revisor it bites.

If you have a vernier you can measure the bevel angle of your SR's.
You mean you get bit? I imagined all the experienced SR shavers here never got bit. I don't have a vernier. I don't know what a it is. I'll have to look it up.

Even with a bunch of shaves on other razors, it took me a while to get used to the Aust. That full hollow edge moves and bends in ways that thicker grinds do not. However, once I got more used to it, I liked the extra measure of control, and the closeness I could get. It feels as though it can surf the skin curvature more closely, if I am doing my part.
This happened on the top part of my chin as I was bringing the razor down for the stroke. As soon as it touched, ouch! I'm going to have to set the flat of the razor down then back up and draw it down for the shave.

You mean you get bit? I imagined all the experienced SR shavers here never got bit.

It depends on your definition of experienced. I have seen people claim here that they never cut themselves, ever, and that competence means not cutting yourself.

I can't rule it out, and I'm not going to claim competence. I am maybe 150 shaves in. I rarely cut myself, but it happens. Usually it happens when I am stretching my skills. I suspect that if I devoted myself to one razor, or a clutch of very-alike razors, I too could ascend to the heights of almost never cutting myself. But I'm not so interested in that.

Yes, moving from a small kamisori to a 15/16" behemoth, with twice the mass, throws off my hand-training and makes cuts more likely. Much more likely. But I find it interesting, and apparently if you lose minor amounts of blood, your body will make more, so...

It is indeed. Shaving with a straight razor means constant concentration. That's actually one of the appealing things about it. It's a moment in your day when you cannot attend to anything else, only that edge against your skin.

I have the impression that this is part of why mountain climbers do what they do. Having a moment of total concentration is actually relaxing for your day. At least we shavers only risk losing some blood. Yeah, in theory, we could open up a critical artery and bleed out, but that doesn't ever seem to happen to anyone, and it certainly would not happen at the angles we're all supposed to use.

Fortunately, you need to penetrate to a depth of around 1/2" to hit the carotid artery lol.

There's a great quote by a great physicist that applies to straight razor shaving.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.

Niels Bohr"

All that's needed is to get those mistakes over with, and get down to the business of shaving. My sympathies in advance for the one where you mess up the edge of your razor by hitting it on something. I made that one more than once, which would no doubt disappoint Dr Bohr.

There's a great quote by a great physicist that applies to straight razor shaving.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.

Niels Bohr"

All that's needed is to get those mistakes over with, and get down to the business of shaving. My sympathies in advance for the one where you mess up the edge of your razor by hitting it on something. I made that one more than once, which would no doubt disappoint Dr Bohr.
When I started, people warned about banging the blade on the sink or faucet. I haven't yet.

When I started, people warned about banging the blade on the sink or faucet. I haven't yet.

I saw one YouTuber recommend that you never rinse during your shave but just wipe the blade. Probably good advice and I have a dozen shave towels on their way so I'll probably stop rinsing until after my shave once they get here.

I saw one YouTuber recommend that you never rinse during your shave but just wipe the blade. Probably good advice and I have a dozen shave towels on their way so I'll probably stop rinsing until after my shave once they get here.
I have a sink full of water and a damp towel on the counter top. I gently, slowly swish the blade just to get the bulk of the lather off, then wipe the blade on the towel. 20A116A7-DB9D-41F2-A915-9B6895C6F225.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom