What's new

Ralf aust

Just tried my new Ralf aust 6/8 razor, and wow....what a beauty!!

Probably my best shave to date! [emoji16]

Very happy with this razor.

Anyone else happy with Ralf aust razors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two. a 5/8 and a 6/8. There is quite a difference in size and weight between the two, Both provide excellent shaves, but I prefer the 6/8.

Best production razor available today
6312D799-BCDE-4F31-A5E2-6C8B4C0603F3.jpeg

I suppose you could call them "production" razors, but I think of them as "boutique" or artisanal.
Herr Aust is basically a one-man-show, but his reputation belies his small stature in the trade.
He's decidedly small-scale compared to Dovo and the other majors, but it is his attention to detail that really sets him apart.
His razors are truly shave-ready. He personally hand-hones each razor to 12K on Naniwa waterstones and finishes on a horse-hide bench strop. You will not have to re-set his bevels!
I've heard of a couple of complaints, but most buyers swear by the quality and finish of his products.
He has amassed a fiercely loyal and dedicated following that is the envy of Solingen.
Best of all, he produces hand-made razors at very affordable prices, and some of his pricier razors are exquisitely adorned.
Yes, they are arguably the best new cut-throats to be had these days at sensible prices, and that's saying something!

My razor came out the package as sharp as ever!

Smooth shaver!

Best production razor available todayView attachment 1022308

Beautiful. I've had my eyes his 7/8" Spanish Point with horn scales, similar to what you have on the top left.

Before I started straight shaving, I thought I would like wood scales the most because they're so beautiful. Since I got some, I've decided that wood scales are generally too wide, and they don't tighten up as much as I'd prefer. I've never held a straight with a horn handle though. Is it thin and tight like plastic? Does horn feel better than your wood scaled razors? I find that scales that are thin and tight make a razor more comfortable to strop.

Hard to say...I perceive no noticeable difference between Aust’s horn and wood scales. But....
He also offers an acrylic which I am told is just so-so. Never have seen one of those in person though.
Word has it he makes micarta scales also. I may just find myself buying another Aust razor if that is accurate.
Pretty cool article here about Herr Aust’s operation.
Seems his website is not available right now. That was a great thing, allowing you to order a razor direct set up to your specs. Hopefully it will return...maybe my link is just outdated. Gonna work on finding out.

Last edited:
I find wood, in general, to be harder to maintain than horn. It doesn’t like getting wet, so you have to be more careful.

My son tortured his Dovo olive wood. I was able to straighten the scales and get them reasonably nice with mineral oil, but the original finish is altered.

...My son tortured his Dovo olive wood. I was able to straighten the scales and get them reasonably nice with mineral oil, but the original finish is altered...
How did your son abuse the Dovo?
I've olive-wood scales and I simply wipe them dry after use.
Mineral oil could possibly raise the grain and fracture any lacquer or other applied finish if there is one.
How did mineral oil specifically affect the wood?
I ask because I've considered using mineral oil for long-term care on my olive-wood scales.

How did your son abuse the Dovo?
I've olive-wood scales and I simply wipe them dry after use.
Mineral oil could possibly raise the grain and fracture any lacquer or other applied finish if there is one.
How did mineral oil specifically affect the wood?
I ask because I've considered using mineral oil for long-term care on my olive-wood scales.

He let them get very wet without drying them. Mineral oil restored moisture to the dried out wood. It is a recommended use, but it does change the finish. It’s good, but not original.

I have two. a 5/8 and a 6/8. There is quite a difference in size and weight between the two, Both provide excellent shaves, but I prefer the 6/8.

I also have two, one 5/8 carbon steel and olive wood scales (shaves like a dream) and a 6/8 stainless with black micarta scales (shaves great but you feel the edge is 'harder'). Love them both

I think that Ralf Aust and Wacker are two of the best German brands that are currently in production. Huge fan of both!

Vr

Matt

Top Bottom