What's new

Ralf Aust + Maggards = Shave Ready?

Long time lurker/member. Not many posts. First SR shave today. Ordered and received a beautiful Ralf Aust French point 6/8, ebony scales w/silver inlay this week. First SR shave this morning with Tallow and Steel Himalaya soap. Had a slickness/razor glide issue that I am sure is just my technique, but looking for a bit of feedback. I have used the soap with a DE (generally a Fatip Gentile or Piccolo) many times (tub almost empty). With the Aust this morning I had some slickness issues. I am sure it is just my sad newbie technique, but I want to ensure that my razor is shave ready. Anyone else have any issues with razors from Maggards or Aust? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Thanks for the help. I also built a .1 micron diamond pasted basswood strop based on some of your other posts. I can use that to refine the edge if needEd.

Straight shaving is a skill that takes time to learn proper razor angle, skin stretching, etc. It took me close to a year before I got my first shave that was as smooth as a DE blade. Be aware that technique also applies to stropping. It takes practice to get it right, and I think many of us will admit that we destroyed a good edge while learning to strop. I sent my first straight out twice in the first year for someone to fix the edge. The good news is, once I figured it all out, the shaves got better and I've been using my current favorite straight for 3 or 4 years now without sending it to anyone to refresh the edge.

I have 9 Aust razors. Every one of them
was perfectly sharp right out of the box. Stayed that way for a long time too.
2D46DEB9-0114-4564-94B5-862DC5968554.jpeg
2F6C98DE-2872-4AA3-8CDC-0DF43F64A047.jpeg
510434BB-7E05-4DEE-881C-F1D30CD24C95.jpeg
2D46DEB9-0114-4564-94B5-862DC5968554.jpeg
F2559C4F-5572-42EB-8129-7536C50B4348.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E8B6A9C-63F7-4FF3-988A-EFB7FDFD1D71.jpeg
    0E8B6A9C-63F7-4FF3-988A-EFB7FDFD1D71.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
I had a ralf aust from Maggard and it arrived shave ready...to a high standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 4 Ralf Aust razors ordered directly from Heir Aust and have always come honed and incredibly sharp...They have edges that are long lasting and easy to maintain. Patience is key when learning to shave with a SR and also about adjusting techniques you may have used with a DE. Slickness and cushion are a must for me therefore I make sure that my lather has a good ratio of soap and water. To the point it has a yogurt like consistency and glistens while on the face. Good luck

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks for the help. I also built a .1 micron diamond pasted basswood strop based on some of your other posts. I can use that to refine the edge if needEd.

Why basswood? It has been tried and found wanting. Basswood works, of course, but balsa is significantly better. Copper sheet works. Cardboard works. Balsa is what you want.

Also .1u won't be able to do the work of the .5u and .25u. Maybe the .25u, but lots more laps. The thing is, the .1u at 100 laps will improve your edge, maybe, yeah. But it won't give you a true .1u Method edge unless you do a LOT of laps! You need the full progression. Each stage sets up the edge for the next. It is like setting a bevel with an 8k stone. Yeah, it will get there, eventually, but it will take so long that you will eventually think you MUST have it by now, but you won't.

Once you have a Method edge or equivelant, then the .1u is all you need for maintenance. It won't get you there. It will only keep you there. Unless you go at it until you wear out the balsa.

So you have introduced not one but two factors contrary to your objective: less than optimum substrate, and skipping two stages of the normal progression. It will probably still give you some improvement, but it won't give you all that you should be getting. So remember, greater things are in store for you. If you aren't amazed by the edge, don't feel no way. Amazement will come when you optimize the balsa stropping after achieving a good 12k edge.

Thanks. I chose basswood as there was no balsa to hand. I had intended to se the .1 micron paste to keep a good edge good. Perhaps I should lose the half measures and dive in all the way.

Thanks for the posts all. I was sure it was me and not the edge. Confirmation is good, though.

Does Heir Aust have a direct website anymore? I have yet to acquire an Aust, and I have always heard good things. Brad and his team have been doing a great job. You should have no issues doing business with them.

Top Bottom