What's new

Raise your hand if you do an Against The Grain pass on your neck

Well Im back to report that I decided to have a little courage and faith and after I felt the whisker reduction was to an acceptable level to pull the dreaded S-N pass and I turned my razor upside down!! Given, I put down the NEW, picked up a Fatboy, dialed it down to 1 and then performed the pass. But its a start, there is no irritation and there are some spots that are pretty darn smooth. I want to add that this was a big step for me because I am convinced that in some areas of my neck liked it MORE! Dun Dun Dunnnnnn!!!

Cant wait to experiment more tomorrow!

Since I'm like many who have multi-directional neck hair growth I will simplify it and say yes I shave South to North on my third pass.

Funny thing is that when I first started with a Trac II, South to North was the only direction I shaved. Who knows where I saw it done that way but it gave me closer shaves than going North to South. I shaved solely that way for close to 30 years. The exception was above the lip but that usually was a non issue due to having a moustache.

My normal routine is N-S, E-W/W-E, S-N and then any touch ups.

I think the Trac II going in a South to North direction was a benefit in the long run. I never exerted much pressure because I was always traveling up hill and over the jaw line instead of going down and maintaining pressure to insure contact. The South to North pass is still my favorite.

During a decade of cartridge shaving, I always shaved one pass, and I usually shaved my neck S-N and it actually felt easier than N-S. In my month of DE shaving, I've tended to only go WTG and XTG due to time constraints. When I have the time to do a ATG pass though, I really enjoy it. Usually, there is a little irritation, but the smoothness more than makes up for it. For some reason, I also like the feeling of the razor when I go ATG. I can hear it cutting each whisker as it goes, and the results are impressive. Of course, I'm very paranoid about putting extra pressure on the razor when I'm doing that. The razor gets my attention pretty quickly otherwise.:scared:

I do it sometimes, and it's not always without irritation.

I do get an irritation free ATG pass with a mild razor, and then again, using bullfrogging technique.

I'm not as patient as you, David. I have been usually doing ATG and getting mild irritation. Like someone else said, the smoothness is worth it. :001_huh: I intentionally left out the ATG tonight, though, and got DFS with no irritation.

After improving my technique I've started to use an against the grain pass on the neck. It was difficult before simply because my beard grows in all directions on my neck making it quite difficult to locate a true against the grain angle. Couple that with all the angle changes in the neck area and it really is a tricky proposition.

But once you figure out the blade angle, and get real intimate with your beard growth direction, an against the grain pass on the neck is an exciting challenge. DFS for me this morning against the grain, with many areas BBS. Just keep at it!

I shaved ATG on my neck until I was about 27. I also had consistent razor burn and nicks.

Then one day I realized that my hair grew upwards on my neck and sideways (outward) around my adam's apple up to about an inch from my chin. I started shaving WTG except for a XTG pass on my jawline (my only sorta thick area) and I get much better results. I guess that one realization is what got me started looking into alternative ways of shaving.

Then again I also never really learned to shave as a kid. In an era of electrics, I just got a rotary in my stocking one year and that was that. Not much need for instruction. I didn't even use a cartridge razor until I was 25. I still get razor burn from electrics, but at least I can survive a cartridge razor now.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
1st pass WTG, face & neck. 2nd pass ATG neck & XTG face. I do this with DE, SE, Straight, Shavette and Trac II.

Thanks for the tip I will give that a try! See, sometimes it can be a minor switch that can make the biggest of difference. That is why I am so thankful that so many people are willing to take the time out of their day to answer a thread for a guy, because you never know what it will be that will be a game changer for a guy or gal...:001_smile

I found the original post for that tip I shared earlier.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=326686

I have very sensitive skin and after 2 years of wet shaving I have realised I can't face lather or bowl lather then use circular motions in my beard. I have plisson synthetic with the knot being extremely soft. I hand lather until I get a pearly lather. I work the lather on my face with hand then I use very light paint strokes with the brush. Wtg, atg, atg. Need a sharp blade and light touch with the razor. Ive notice I only get irritation when scrub with a brush when I face lather. Try it...

I have always been able to do an ATG shave since I started DE shaving. Prior to that I shaved with cartridges and only did one pass.

Always do WTG and XTG first. Shave after a shower, in the shower I use a cleanser.

Always finish a shave with witch hazel and a balm (on top of AS).

I shave in the mornings every day. If I experience irritation I will put some moisturizer of some description on before going to bed in the evening.

I do an ATG pass 75% of the time. I do WTG XTG XTG (opposite direction) and then ATG. iI do ATG ON THE 3rd pass it doesn't work, rough and some blood. I can do this without burn or discomfort if I have proper prep, software and technique.

One pass WTG and one pass ATG on the neck. ATG is much trickier, and some days I end up with some irritation. I figure it's a technique thing given that some days there is no problem. Also, I use witch hazel immediately after shaving and then a good, high quality balm (currently L'Occitane Cade).

Top Bottom