What's new

Raise your hand if you do an Against The Grain pass on your neck

There is some really really good information coming here guys, THANK YOU. Your experiences help add to my experience and together we are ONE BIG EXPERIENCE!!! :a34:

Now, hopefully these experiences will transition into wisdom! :clover:

Last edited:
There is some really really good information coming here guys, THANK YOU. Your experiences help add to my experience and together we are ONE BIG EXPERIENCE!!! :a34:

Now, hopefully these experiences will transition into wisdom! :clover:
The rule of this game is Pay It Forward.

In a year or two, you pass your wisdom on to the next generation of newbies.

I started it a couple weeks ago when someone else posted a tip to not stretch the skin on your neck when shaving against the grain. I usually look slightly down and lightly run the razor from just above my Adam's apple to my chin.

The rule of this game is Pay It Forward.

In a year or two, you pass your wisdom on to the next generation of newbies.

I look forward to paying it forward. Badger & Blade has treated me so well in the short time that Ive been here that it makes me want to give back to this great community.

I started it a couple weeks ago when someone else posted a tip to not stretch the skin on your neck when shaving against the grain. I usually look slightly down and lightly run the razor from just above my Adam's apple to my chin.

Thanks for the tip I will give that a try! See, sometimes it can be a minor switch that can make the biggest of difference. That is why I am so thankful that so many people are willing to take the time out of their day to answer a thread for a guy, because you never know what it will be that will be a game changer for a guy or gal...:001_smile

I do an against the grain pass on my neck. Have yet to achieve bbs though. As many have stated, slow, steady and concentration are the name of the game. I actually find going ATG at the base of my chin more problematic than the neck.

I think we need to consider the terminology. "Against the Grain" does not necessarily mean a South to North Stroke. My neck hair grows in virtually all directions. "Against the grain could mean a Southeast to Northwest stroke or a West to East stroke, or whatever. I pretty much have to shave the entire compass if I was a super clean shave on my neck.

I too have hair that grows in crazy directions near my adam's apple, but I guess my question is who turns the razor upside down for a neck pass. Im pretty new to wet shaving so my terminology isnt the best. For me most of my neck is ATG from bottom to top, aside from around my adams apple. But you raise a good point in knowing which actual way the hairs are growing in order to best plan the approach.

With, then against. The only way to achieve BBS.
No, its not.

Under the right conditions, I've gotten BBS in 1 pass. It was a week's worth of stubble, a 39C Slant with a fresh Feather blade. The secret is in good prep and careful technique. While I can't duplicate it every single time, I have hit BBS in 1 on several occasions over the last few years.

WTG on my neck is from chin to shoulder. Therefore, all my shaving directions there (WTG, XTG, GTX, ATG) are diagonal. However, right by my Adam's apple it seems to get a bit wonky, and I seem to get the closest with a horizontal out-to-in shave.

I do, in fact I must in order to prevent myself from being annoyed at light stubble left over. I always do a WTG, XTG and then ATG pass on my face and neck. I wasn't always able to do so, however, until I discovered beard mapping. Since I found out what was really WTG for my face, a BBS has been almost a daily occurrence with no irritation and no weepers. That, combined with either a Feather or Astra in my heavy-handled, aggressive Gillette Old type gives me a fantastic shave. I find a heavier razor and more exposed blade forces me to respect the no pressure rule and it really works out well for me.

If going for BBS I do, usually my Sunday shave. Otherwise my normal weekday shave, I just do a 2 pass, WTG and XTG.

I think we need to consider the terminology. "Against the Grain" does not necessarily mean a South to North Stroke. My neck hair grows in virtually all directions. "Against the grain could mean a Southeast to Northwest stroke or a West to East stroke, or whatever. I pretty much have to shave the entire compass if I was a super clean shave on my neck.

This is my issue as well. Do I just have to settle with never getting BBS on my neck? My neck is very sensitive. Today I got the guts to do an ear to ear direction of shave on my neck, I was so scared. While I got a closer shave than I have in the past, and it wasn't a bloody disaster, I will consider it a success. But I didn't get anything close to BBS. Maybe DFS but I dunno about that even...

Also, can we assume that a WTG pass, or the standard top to bottom type of shave will give a solid DFS at least?

i am a straight razor shaver, my second pass is my last pass and it always against the grain. no touch ups.

Tried for my first month of DE shaving. When I gave up the ghost of a 3 pass W/X/ATG, BBS shave, my shave experience got a lot better.

For me it's WTG, XTG, then another XTG the other direction in my heavy spots.

Not me.
I don't do atg or xtg passes. It's usually 2 wtg pases, which feel very smooth and prevents ingrowns.
I gave up on atg passes a long while ago. Regardless if the amount of pressure or face prep, atg does a number in my face.

Can't do a true ATG on the neck. If I just go S to N, which is about 50% XTG/50% ATG, I still get awesome results, however.

I can (and have always been) but it is the most difficult area.

The key for me is NO pressure and as shallow a blade angle as possible. The angle is difficult because it changes along the stroke. The angle that is correct at the base of the neck will be a scraping, high angle at the jaw line.

One other wrinkle is that the beard near my adam's apple grows E-W. With the angles in that area, it is physically impossible to get a true ATG pass. My compromise is to do two 45 degree passes and/or some j-hook in that area.

Good luck!

That just about describes how I do it, except for the j-hooking part.

When I was shaving with disposables I never did anything but ATG. Since no one ever taught me to shave and the adds said one blade pulled it out so the next one could cut if off and when I shaved WTG I had to make many passes I thought ATG was the proper way to shave. Instead of 3-4 passes it only took 1-2.

Has anybody ever tried just going ATG?

I tried my Gillette 7oclock for the second time today and got some blood XTG.

Since that is the second time in a row that blade drew blood it's going in the trash and the ones I have left will go to a PIF when I have more to add to it.

Top Bottom