What's new

Raise your hand if you do an Against The Grain pass on your neck

Thanks for all of your responses so far. Please keep them coming you trusty veterans!! Im gathering that with the right technique and pressure and prep I should be able to pull it off. :thumbup1: I really appriciate all of your input like usual gentlemen! Ive found that I can really count on a lot of you for sound advice which really helps me. I was introduced to wet shaving by another member here, but other then that I do not physically know anybody else who shaves the way we do. SO, YOU GUYS ARE ALL I GOT!! :lol:

Since I started using my ikon slant, I do. The first WTG pass is so close, it makes a second ATG pass clean and irritation free. Before the slant, not so much.

I usually do WTG, XTG, and GTX on my neck, then do only as much ATG touch-up as I think my skin will tolerate.

On my most recent shave, I used my less aggressive razor and a brand of blade that's both fairly forgiving and not super sharp. I went with that combo because I was pressed for time and wanted to be able to rush through the shave. I skipped the WTG altogether and instead did XTG, GTX, and a full ATG. With such a mild matchup, the ATG pass was no big deal. With a more bloodthirsty may matchup, it's more dicey.

I do not, but I am only a year and change into this. I would probably go to WTG/XTG/reverse XTG and call it a day if I ever went to 3 passes trying to get as close a shave as possible, as I get markedly more irritation trying ATG.

I may try again at some point, but then again . . . maybe not. :laugh:

Apart from the Tech and Feather going ATG on the neck leads to trouble. Even with the New and Superspeed ... what happens when I use the Old Type is best left for the 'Horror Stories' thread.I found my Schick E3 injector a bit harsh ATG on the neck as well.

The Gillette Sensor, Mach3 and Fusion are all fine ATG on the neck but you don't want to hear that I'm sure :) With a Mach3 I can do a 2 pass shave 1 x WTG and 1 x ATG with a little touch up = BBS every time.

I definately wouldn't call myself a trusted veteran, but I never could with carts without a lot of ingrowns the following day. Now I have no issues either with straights or with a de. Could be what I've learned being here? Maybe, but whatever it is I like it since my ocd makes me want to go for bbs everytime. :blink:

I do, but I couldn't get the hang of it for a long time, though.
Yes, it's a very tricky area because of the growth patterns and angles, but I figured it out.
WTG, XTG, ATG, some j-hooking and buffing if I have the time, if not, it's DFS and out the door! :lol:

ATG here too. If you are having issues, use really short buffing type strokes. Resist the temptation to put the pressure on to "get the last bit", because this is where angle and no-pressure will do the trick. If you press, you WILL get irritation. Learning to put a slanting angle of attack on the blade can help too. It's a learned skill like anything else.

Another reminder...concentration! For me, the ATG neck work is the last part of the shave. I've learned not to hurry through it in the "home stretch" :bored: This is not a race...slow and focused works the best.

I do WTG,ATG and XTG and it's still not perfect but I have some really crazy neck hair direction so I have decided to get the best DFS in that area.

Top Bottom