What's new

Raise your hand if you do an Against The Grain pass on your neck

Title says it all, just taking a poll of who feels comfortable enough with their shaving to achieve an Against The Grain pass and if you can were you always able to do so.

The reason I ask is because I have tried it a couple times since beginning wet shaving and have gotten weepers on my neck and become irritated. So for now I have been sticking to WTG on my neck but would love to be able to get to where I can pull off an ATG pass without regretting it afterwards (like I see in the movies!! :tongue_sm(Youtube:lol:)). Question: Is it possible for everyone to achieve and ATG pass without becoming and irritated mess?:straight: Or, are some people just to sensitive and no matter what prep or technique/experience they have and ATG pass will still end in discomfort and razor burn/irritation? :spockflam

This is a request for all of the guys who have been here a while to answer, I posted this in the Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In so that Newbies are able to see what some guys who have some experience wet shaving have to say on this topic. :clover:

Thanks in advance for the wisdom that Badger & Blade always has to offer.

** I should add that I know everybody has different skin so that this is a difficult question to answer but, I guess I am more asking about your experiences with your skin and your progress over the time that you have been wet shaving. Rather then trying to guess what type of skin I have and stuff. Thanks again!

Im also going to add that I use a DE razor currently. NEW Deluxe to be specific.

Last edited:
$6519432381242112347.jpeg

I do. Smooth, comfortable and no irritation. Not with a DE razor, though. I use a non-pivoting twin blade.

After 4 months of DE shaving I still just go WTG and XTG and get a great shave that I am very happy with, I have found some spots on my neck can barely handle XTG let alone ATG. In the beginning I was a bit too focused on trying to get a BBS shave and going ATG as much as possible, I have stopped trying ATG and I am a lot happier and irritation free.

I can (and have always been) but it is the most difficult area.

The key for me is NO pressure and as shallow a blade angle as possible. The angle is difficult because it changes along the stroke. The angle that is correct at the base of the neck will be a scraping, high angle at the jaw line.

One other wrinkle is that the beard near my adam's apple grows E-W. With the angles in that area, it is physically impossible to get a true ATG pass. My compromise is to do two 45 degree passes and/or some j-hook in that area.

Good luck!

If I shave daily I go against the grain from the start. If I skip a day or 2 then my first pass is with then followed by against. No irritation etc. Done so since the beginning.

Well so far the two guys with the most posts have the shortest answers. :lol:

Maybe Tony and Mike can help me out with the other questions. Were you always able to do an ATG pass? Did it come with experience/technique?

Thanks guys :laugh:

I usually only shoot for a DFS daily, so I go WTG followed by a WTG touch-up on the neck. When I go for a closer shave on the neck, I am extra careful, and make short strokes ATG, buffing around the Adams apple.

Was I always good at this? Heck no!

P.S. My high post count is more indicative of obsession, not shaving expertise. Although I have picked up a trick or two.:laugh:

Last edited:
I think that the ATG pass is highly overrated. WTGx2 plus a little touch-up is all I need to get me to DFS+.

I used to do an ATG pass all over, but now, I just reserve it for under my chin and a trouble spot, less than a square inch, on my neck.

I gave up on a complete ATG pass about 3 years ago, and haven't missed it at all.

I do. Sometimes I get good results, and sometimes I get bad results. No pressure, blade buffing with a very sharp blade, using a lather with good lubrication and being careful and taking my time with a mild razor helps me to succeed.

I know the News have a great reputation, but, if you have a Merkur HD, try that with a Personna Lab Blue, Med Prep or Feather blade. Don't try to get all of the whisker at once, buff very lightly, and you will be amazed at how close you can get without irritation.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I can not shave ATG in all areas on my neck. The areas that give me trouble I use a modified XTG/ATG approach. It's not fully either one but somewhere in between. Map the hairs and the growth direction to help.[/FONT]

I do.

It's my final pass(es). I'm very careful...no pressure. It seems like the blade is barely touching...I feel like it's floating.

That said, it's unforgiving...loss of concentration = scrape and/or razor burn.

I just do a WTG and then a ATG pass on the neck. No XTG for me. Seems to minimize irritation by doing one less pass. Plus my neck looks like a hurricane pattern

Top Bottom