What's new

Rain-X on home windows

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Windex makes a great product, a blue spray bottle you hook up to a garden hose. It's filled with soap/surfactant that can reach the second floor.

However, it's like $11. A bit pricey for what it is. But the spray bottle is really good! 🤣

So I refilled it with Rain-X car windshield fluid ($4/gal) just to see what would happen.

Welp. Even sceptical wife admitted that the windows got clean. Now today it's thunderstorming and I'm laughing. The water's beading up and running off...

Turns out this is a minor cleaning hack I never heard of. Company info just says avoid aluminum and vinyl with it, but that could apply to the full strength stuff in the small bottle.

Should help keep normal window grime off too. We'll see.

AA

🤔 Windex makes a great product, a blue spray bottle you hook up to a garden hose. It's filled with soap/surfactant that can reach the second floor.

However, it's like $11. A bit pricey for what it is. But the spray bottle is really good! 🤣

So I refilled it with Rain-X car windshield fluid ($4/gal) just to see what would happen.

Welp. Even sceptical wife admitted that the windows got clean. Now today it's thunderstorming and I'm laughing. The water's beading up and running off...

Turns out this is a minor cleaning hack I never heard of. Company info just says avoid aluminum and vinyl with it, but that could apply to the full strength stuff in the small bottle.

Should help keep normal window grime off too. We'll see.

AA
Brilliant! 🤣 I love it!

Most windshield washer fluids contain methanol (wood alcohol) which is poisonous. Thus, it is probably best to avoid using them for cleaning indoors unless you can provide a lot of ventilation.

For outdoors use, it would be fine.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
proxy.php

This is what the bottle looks like ... the sprayer was too good to throw away!

And when your wife admits it works ... win!

AA
proxy.php

I use Dawn dish detergent on the first floor windows outside. Upper windows are cleaned from the inside with Windex.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Good to know about the Rain-X. I have lived in my house 28 years and have never washed the outside of the windows. Maybe it's time to consider it...lol.
🤔 In that case, spend the $11 on the original Windex bottle... 😁 Maybe get to a maintenance level with the Rain-X refill!

AA

Top Bottom